There are 207 users in the forums

If You Were Smith.........

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mike:
When we're behind and about to lose the game he can manage a good drive down the field for a touchdown. But in general, if you were a D-Coordinator, would you be afraid of 195 yd/game 1.2 td/game Alex Smith? I doubt it.

That was why it was so important that he could turn it on when necessary. Many QBs can't. Most QBs can't. With Harbaugh and Smith together they were able to do so and that was a knock on Smith over the years...he wasn't a gamer. Now he is "Clutch, Clutch!"
If I'm Alex I ask Tom who else is interested. He tells me the Jags, Seahawks, Browns and Dolphins. Jags suck.
Jones-Drew, a running back, is my only weapon. Seahawks ...... maybe. Browns are garbage and I get to play
the AFC North's Steelers and Ravens twice a year plus the Bengals are good too. The Dolphins ..... maybe. Defense
is ok, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush are good weapons. But they wanted Peyton and they'd definitely be disappointed
if I came instead of Manning. They offer 3 yrs, we ask for 5. We Meet in the middle and get 4 for 38-42 Million. My family
is settled here in SF. I love Harbaugh and my teammates. They believed in me when nobody else did. I'm finally
winning. I finally got to play in the playoffs. We were a play or two away from the SuperBowl. If I go somewhere else,
they could be impatient and yank me If the team doesn't do well. If that happens, everybody will call me a game
manager and my career would be over. I've got a good thing going I could mess it up by leaving.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
If I'm Alex I ask Tom who else is interested. He tells me the Jags, Seahawks, Browns and Dolphins. Jags suck.
Jones-Drew, a running back, is my only weapon. Seahawks ...... maybe. Browns are garbage and I get to play
the AFC North's Steelers and Ravens twice a year plus the Bengals are good too. The Dolphins ..... maybe. Defense
is ok, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush are good weapons. But they wanted Peyton and they'd definitely be disappointed
if I came instead of Manning. They offer 3 yrs, we ask for 5. We Meet in the middle and get 4 for 38-42 Million. My family
is settled here in SF. I love Harbaugh and my teammates. They believed in me when nobody else did. I'm finally
winning. I finally got to play in the playoffs. We were a play or two away from the SuperBowl. If I go somewhere else,
they could be impatient and yank me If the team doesn't do well. If that happens, everybody will call me a game
manager and my career would be over. I've got a good thing going I could mess it up by leaving.

Condon can't answer that until the FA period starts.

I do agree that's what I would do if I was Smith. Just wait until the FA period starts and see if he can get a better deal. I'm guessing another team will give Smith a better deal than what the 9ers offered.

If you look objectively at the 9ers offer to Smith it is a lowball offer. Even some of the Smith haters on the board have said that. If QBs like Kolb, Sanchez, etc. can get better deals than certainly Smith could as well.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
this post makes zero sense. If I were a Defensive Coordinator, I would be afraid of a QB who can win a game when its on the line no matter what his stats are.
But you plan on shutting down our run game first and foremost, not Alex smith. You force him into 3rd and long.

Both the saints and philly game should have been blowouts, 3 points for philly in the third. Sure that goes on the defense for letting them come back, but at the same time it's a game of possession and ending drives quickly with 3 and outs sure helped Vick and Brees nearly come back. The Giants show what happens when we don't have a huge lead going into the 3rd.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
That was why it was so important that he could turn it on when necessary. Many QBs can't. Most QBs can't. With Harbaugh and Smith together they were able to do so and that was a knock on Smith over the years...he wasn't a gamer. Now he is "Clutch, Clutch!"

I just find it hilarious that what people call clutch is a guy who does absolutely nothing until he's about to lose the game. Next time we get a lead we should just put in two runningbacks until we've lost the lead and need alex to turn on clutchmode.
Looks like he might already be folding......

Impending free agent Alex Smith still expects to re-sign with the 49ers.

"It's just a process," Smith said. "It takes some time. It will get done." The "process" may have been complicated by Mark Sanchez's contract extension, but the 49ers remain likely to ultimately re-sign Smith near their own terms. With a weak arm and history of failure before Jim Harbaugh arrived in San Francisco, Smith won't generate heavy interest on the open market.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/alex-smith-not-worried-says-deal-with-49ers-will-get-done.html

One thing you can say for sure, the kid is a class act.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Looks like he might already be folding......

Impending free agent Alex Smith still expects to re-sign with the 49ers.

"It's just a process," Smith said. "It takes some time. It will get done." The "process" may have been complicated by Mark Sanchez's contract extension, but the 49ers remain likely to ultimately re-sign Smith near their own terms. With a weak arm and history of failure before Jim Harbaugh arrived in San Francisco, Smith won't generate heavy interest on the open market.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/alex-smith-not-worried-says-deal-with-49ers-will-get-done.html

One thing you can say for sure, the kid is a class act.

I think we are waiting to see final cap numberes released so we know what we have to play with
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If I were Smith, I'd hold out until they draft Stephen Hill.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vaden:
32 TD/8 INT, 92.6 qb rating in Alex's last 24 games, dating back to the week after Raye was fired. Source. He did that with a sub-par OL and WRs and a mediocre, vastly overrated running game, one that ranked lower in yards to per rush than Alex ranked in yards per attempt, one that was dead last on 3rd & short. Of course Alex had his problems on 3rd down as well, but he ranked far better than our RBs, ahead of Cam and only 1-2% behind Eli, Stafford and Cutler, which is only due to his receivers routinely dropping easy catches.

Your math is off, last 24 games = 29 td/10 int. Or roughly 1.2 touchdowns per game.

Our run game is supposed to have higher per attempt than our passing game? Find me a half decent team where that's the case. The fact that your stats include when Gore was hurt and Dixon wasn't doing s**t,has to skew the stats.

If anything our run game is aging but underrated because Gore gets absolutely zero help from the passing game to relieve pressure. Even with our relatively efficient passing game last year teams focused on stopping the run. Why? Because gore can rip defenses open, Alex can not.

I deleted that post because I realized it was off-topic to this thread, but since you responded... No, my math was correct except I meant 25 games, not 24. I was including the playoff games. You're also distorting what I said about our run game vs. passing game. I stated our run game ranked lower in ypr than our passing game did in yards per attempt. which is a fact. Check it out if you don't believe me. It's also a fact that Gore ranked 25th in ypr (only counting RBs) and Alex ranked 17th in ypa. Gore was also atrocious on 3rd & short, as was Hunter, and that's why we ranked last in rushing on 3rd & short.

Yes, defenses key in on stopping the run, because we are built around it and were the only team other than Houston and Denver to run more than pass. Our OL is far better at run blocking, and our RBs are far better than our receivers, so of course our run game should've performed better than our passing game, but it didn't.
[ Edited by vaden on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I just find it hilarious that what people call clutch is a guy who does absolutely nothing until he's about to lose the game. Next time we get a lead we should just put in two runningbacks until we've lost the lead and need alex to turn on clutchmode.

'Nothing' is a bit overstated but yeah, I've seen that all year from Harbaugh and Smith. Safe and conservative until they need to win the game at last resort. Then they pulled out the stops and gamble. I think it's more than Smith because we have seen Smith throwing into tight coverage before Harbaugh got here. It came down from Harbaugh to play that way. Smith just doesn't some how lost the ability to make those throws where he was making them just months ago. Or even going back to the year when he came back off the bench from injury. His mentality have changed since Harbaugh got here. It's for the better but sometimes I wish he would just let the coach of Harbaugh stays in the back burner a little. I think next year we might see a different Smith.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM ]

32 TD/8 INT, 92.6 qb rating in Alex's last 24 games, dating back to the week after Raye was fired. Source. He did that with a sub-par OL and WRs and a mediocre, vastly overrated running game, one that ranked lower in yards to per rush than Alex ranked in yards per attempt, one that was dead last on 3rd & short. Of course Alex had his problems on 3rd down as well, but he ranked far better than our RBs, ahead of Cam and only 1-2% behind Eli, Stafford and Cutler, which is only due to his receivers routinely dropping easy catches.

Your math is off, last 24 games = 29 td/10 int. Or roughly 1.2 touchdowns per game.

Our run game is supposed to have higher per attempt than our passing game? Find me a half decent team where that's the case. The fact that your stats include when Gore was hurt and Dixon wasn't doing s**t,has to skew the stats.

If anything our run game is aging but underrated because Gore gets absolutely zero help from the passing game to relieve pressure. Even with our relatively efficient passing game last year teams focused on stopping the run. Why? Because gore can rip defenses open, Alex can not.

I deleted that post because I realized it was off-topic to this thread, but since you responded... No, my math was correct except I meant 25 games, not 24. I was including the playoff games. You're also distorting what I said about our run game vs. passing game. I stated our run game ranked lower in ypr than our passing game did in yards per attempt. which is a fact. Check it out if you don't believe me. It's also a fact that Gore ranked 25th in ypr (only counting RBs) and Alex ranked 17th in ypa. Gore was also atrocious on 3rd & short, as was Hunter, and that's why we ranked last in rushing on 3rd & short.

Yes, defenses key in on stopping the run, because we are built around it and were the only team other than Houston and Denver to run more than pass. Our OL is far better at run blocking, and our RBs are far better than our receivers, so of course our run game should've performed better than our passing game, but it didn't.
Good job

Mike = Owned...

As for the OP, I'd take the deal. I feel Smith's long term goal is to be a coach, and why not learn from the best.
[ Edited by truekingcarlos on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:

Condon can't answer that until the FA period starts.

I do agree that's what I would do if I was Smith. Just wait until the FA period starts and see if he can get a better deal. I'm guessing another team will give Smith a better deal than what the 9ers offered.

If you look objectively at the 9ers offer to Smith it is a lowball offer. Even some of the Smith haters on the board have said that. If QBs like Kolb, Sanchez, etc. can get better deals than certainly Smith could as well.

I disagree because Condon knows who's interested and who isn't. FA starting date means nothing. Peyton has the same agent
and it's hard to Believe Peyton didn't have a leg up on who wanted to meet with him. Agents always talk to teams that's how they work.
I'm not sure another team will give Smith a better deal. That is to say a longer deal with more guaranteed money. Are the Jags or Dolphins
gonna pay Alex 12 Million a year? No way. If a team were foolish enough to do so, Baalke would let them and move on. Remember
Baalke was quoted that he doesn't believe Alex is the QB of our future. It was 2 seasons ago but I doubt one decent season has changed
his mind.

I agree the 49ers offer is lowball for a starting QB. But if they valued Alex as a must-have player they would have franchised him.
They clearly don't think he's top 10, which he isn't. But now they have to pay the going rate for a QB of his skillset. Sanchez's deal
looks awful, as does Kolb's and Fitzpatrick's. They all are not very good but the teams paid them way more than they are worth.

The quotation marks around Clutch, Clutch were there for a reason. I was quoting Harbaugh, not making a personal assessment. I'll let his statement stand.
  • mike
  • Veteran

Well yeah if you include the inflated playoff numbers from uncharacteristic shootouts. I assumed you meant regular season.

I didn't distort your facts about the run game vs passing game, I just said it's stupid to call our run game overrated because the passing game has a higher yards per attempt. Nearly every team has a higher passing YPA than YPR. It's much easier to throw a ball 8 yards than it is to run 8 yards. The browns came close to being about the same but Mccoy is still 1 yard higher than hillis.

If a full time bell cow RB has 7 YPR(what Alex threw) he's gonna be around a 2000 yd back. The highest YPR this year for someone who ran over 200 times was Reggie bush with 5, but he only ran 216 times so he got 1086 yds. Mccoy ran 270 for 4.8 so he got 1300 yards. MJD ran 343 times at 4.7 which explains his 1600 yds.

Gore ran 12 times more than Mccoy at 4.3 for 1200 yds. So is it that big of a deal if Gore has to run 12 more times in a year to get 100 fewer yards? Stretch those 100 missing yards and 12 more carries across a season and it's nothing. It's like 5-10 fewer yards and 1 extra carry per game. This all also doesn't factor in Hunter's 473 yards into our total running game.

Compared to the difference between Alex and the 16 people above him in Y/A, yards per run differentials aren't that big of a deal. We're talking about less than half of a yard separating MJD from Gore. So .4 yards is 1 feet 2 inches. Compare that to the 2 yards, or 6 feet per attempt, separating Alex from Rodgers. The difference amounts to 100+ yds/game.

As you can see, it gets pretty ridiculous trying to compare RBs to QBs, lets just not do it. You say the running game is one of the worst on 3rd and short, so is our passing game so they have that in common. The difference is most teams don't run on 3rd for that reason.
[ Edited by mike on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Good job

Mike = Owned...

As for the OP, I'd take the deal. I feel Smith's long term goal is to be a coach, and why not learn from the best.

Hardly...
Share 49ersWebzone