Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Dear Tom

Don't f**k up what I have with Harbaugh

Alex

LOL!
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Ok guys... I AM Alex, I've been laying low, but now, I'm gonna let you know what I'm thinking. Some of you hate me and thats ok, but a lot of you have supported me and I greatly appreciate that, but at this point unless someone does something to show me love (more than words) I'm going to test FA and see how it plays out. To me a 3 year committment from the 9ers is just enough to get Kaep ready, and I take it as the 9ers looking for a solid bridge to get to the QB of the future who isn't quite ready now... and isn't me... I may be just a little insulted after ALL that I did last year. YES I said after all that I did last year, because I did EXACTLY what was asked of me... I was asked by the staff to take care of the ball despite being saddled with an OL that, while it got better as the season progressed, struggled often throughout the season, and a WR core that struggled to get seperation and make plays. Based on that I was forced to "eat it" as opposed to trying to make a play and risk a TO. In fact so much so that when the game was on the line the coaching staff called MY number on a QB run... whats that tell you about our OL and WR and who the coaching staff believed in? I was not asked to make big plays and throw the ball around all day... in fact that type of qb play is almost counter productive to what Harbaugh wants to accomplish on offense, control the ball, put the team in scoring position, and DON'T lose the game. Then in the end when the game is on the line... go make your plays. THAT IS WHAT I DID ALL YEAR LONG... EXACTLY WHAT WAS ASKED OF ME. Some of you may rememeber that I set a record for fewest INT's in a season?

I had the best year of my career... yes my season was proof that I can do it over 16 games, unlike Matt Flynn, who had ONE game - have you seen his career numbers outside of that ONE game? (51-88 57% 535 yds 3 td 4 Ints in 18 games - 2 starts... oh and he has played more years 4, than games in which he's attempted 7+ passes - 3!). I'm 27 years old... I'm not Payton Manning, who is a HOFer, but is 10 years older than me... and coming off MULTIPLE NECK SURGURIES. There are other QB's that you can look to... Obviously Kaep and Tolzien were my back ups last year, but you could have them as starters... and there is Josh Johnson who was handed the starting job in Tampa only to lose it to Rookie Josh Freeman (did you see how he did this year? and Johnson was his back up?!) So if you wish to pass up on me because you don't want to make a committment thats your choice...

I remember players like Jay Feely, Matt Cassell, Kevin Kolb, and Matt Schaub, who all showed flashes as back ups and where given 5+ years and 10+million PER YEAR.... Really, I don't think I'm out of line... and I will test the FA waters and we'll see. Either you are right, there isn't the market for me out there that I think there is and I will come back to SF on a 3 yr deal for around 8 mill per... thats the worse case scenario - FOR ME.... FOR YOU, I'm right, and ONE team falls in love and NEEDS a QB BADLY... that team will give me 5+ years and 10+ milllion.... after all did you see what Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Sanchez got? Really, you don't think I can get that on an OPEN market?! We'll see...
Interesting post.

If I'm Alex, I realize 4 things:

A). I just had my best season as a pro.
B). I haven't reached the top of my game.
C). I'm 27 years old.
D). Another year or 3 in the same system with an improved surrounding cast will only enhance my value in the market.

So, I'd grab the 3 year contract w/attainable incentives that would boost the bottomline money.
^^^if you are alex, that name is certainly fitting
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
^^^if you are alex, that name is certainly fitting

You are gonna have to do better than that!

Sanchez got paid what? Flacco wants what? And you want me to suck on that contract?

Show me the money!
There is no real rush here. I think its just about guaranteed we bring Alex back. He doesnt want to start over and he likes Harbaugh so in the end he will do what it takes to come back. Only place i could imagine him going would be to reunite with Norv Turner
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I would be honored to be Peyton Manning's back up.

+1
ALEX SMITH
* Mark Sanchez just got money he arguably doesn't deserve
* I've taken so much s**t from the fans in SF
* My value in the free market might dictate a better contract elsewhere (HUGE maybe imo)
* I had the best year of my career after finally being surrounded by an actual manager/coach.
* ^^ This in spite losing my safety blanket (Morgan) and playing with a guy who doesn't do training camp (Crabtree)
* Candlestick Park is a dump
* I just got married and have a child
* Oh and btw I was the starting QB who led us to the NFC Championship game.

I could go on but putting myself in his shoes, I would not allow myself to get short changed. If I'm settling for a three year deal, I want it to be high in incentives and want to be paid at the very least like a Top 15 but would feel far more appreciated like a Top 10.

[ Edited by sf49ersx11 on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM ]
There is no way we are retaining Smith for anything less than $40-60 mil with at least $20 mil in guaranteed money and 5 years. If the Niners are lowballing me and I'm Smith I walk. At the very least I would make it known I was getting offers in that range from other teams and would like the Niners to match.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
There is no way we are retaining Smith for anything less than $40-60 mil with at least $20 mil in guaranteed money and 5 years. If the Niners are lowballing me and I'm Smith I walk. At the very least I would make it known I was getting offers in that range from other teams and would like the Niners to match.

Ryan Fitzpatrick 6 Years $59m $24m guaranteed ($33m over the first three years)
Mark Sanchez 3 Years $40.5 million extension and will make $20.5 million guaranteed over the next two seasons.

Alex Smith should get something like 3 MAYBE MAYBE 4 years with $20-23m guaranteed.
Alex: "Tom, just make it happen, I'll take 3 years. I just want to play."

Condon: "5 years, lol"

• Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Ryan Fitzpatrick 6 Years $59m $24m guaranteed ($33m over the first three years)
Mark Sanchez 3 Years $40.5 million extension and will make $20.5 million guaranteed over the next two seasons.

Alex Smith should get something like 3 MAYBE MAYBE 4 years with $20-23m guaranteed.

Sanchez signed 5yrs 58,250,000 11.6mil per year - the contract was extended beyond his current contract. He's under contract until 2017. His original payed him 28 mill guar. Basically over an 8 year period Sanchez got 80+mil (and I believe $48 mill guaranteed! - 28m in first contract 20m in second!). Regardless, is he better than Smith?

IF Smith signs anything close to what these guys sign its gonna be the 5/50 range...
Just because other teams throw stupid amounts of money at average QBs doesn't mean Baalke should do the same.

What about all the millions Smith has already made that he didn't earn? Oh, right, it wasn't his fault but he did take all the money, right?

We've seen the best of Smith already and management knows it. If they thought he could improve so much in the future (like so many here), they would offer a longer term deal.

Take the deal or move on. I'm sure CK7 can play not to lose and protect INT stats just as well as Smith.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Just because other teams throw stupid amounts of money at average QBs doesn't mean Baalke should do the same.

What about all the millions Smith has already made that he didn't earn? Oh, right, it wasn't his fault but he did take all the money, right?

We've seen the best of Smith already and management knows it. If they thought he could improve so much in the future (like so many here), they would offer a longer term deal.

Take the deal or move on. I'm sure CK7 can play not to lose and protect INT stats just as well as Smith.
Wrong thread, dude. This is from the Smith perspective thread. Please dont get this locked.
Share 49ersWebzone