There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

we gave up 44 sacks

• teeohh
  • Veteran
Our offensive line gave up 44 sacks.
The rams gave up the most (55), the Bills gave up the least (23)

How can the team improve from that? Will another year in the same scheme make a difference or does someone need to be upgraded?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
our o line got a lot better as time went on and familiarity in the system
Originally posted by ImaMod:

get a QB who makes quicker decisions .. or hope the one we have can get better .. either way in an offense where supposedly every play has a built in blitz buster there is no way we should be giving up that many sacks.
Get another QB. Problem solved. I hear Peyton is available.
Elite QB - WRs that can get separation - OL consistency...problem solved
If we get Peyton the problem will be solved.
I know this is partially Alex Smith's fault but how the hell are you guys citing him as the main problem. How about Jonathan Goodwin, Mike Iupati, and Anthony Davis not being able to pass block?
I found 29 of the 44 sacks given up on I think rotoworld as Staley 6, Iupati 3.5, Goodwin 6, Snyder 3, Rachal 1, Davis 9.5

Here is a thread to read through:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/158848-more-evidence-our-offensive-line-terrible/

Here was my reply:

Our guys are pretty good when blocking one on one. They have talent. Our problem is we are horrible protecting vs the blitz. We have no communication... we got 2 guys blocking 1 guy and others running free. It is partly on the coaches for not having them prepared and able to communicate during various blitzes. Two years in you would think Solari could have taught the guys how to deal with blitzes by now especially considering our guys have gained some chemistry. The second reason would be bad playcalling and the lack of quick throws/slants. I don't know how many times against Baltimore instead of taking advantage and doing 3 step drops and slants (when they sent everybody) we would do 7 step drops and get killed. Makes me hate Roman at times... so stubborn. The 3rd reason would be Alex not getting the ball out quickly... a lot of times he would be under pressure but we have to do more 3 step drops, quick throws and slants and he has to trust the WR and not wait until they are open before throwing it. He has the arm and the accuracy (imo) to put the ball in those spots it's just that he doesn't trust himself or the WRs often. Alex is also quick to check down (which is sometimes a good thing). Part of it's our playing style though. Last reason would be WRs not getting separation... sometimes it's a lack of communication. So Roman needs to step up, need to go with what works... work on the screen game, work on quick slants and throws, 3 step instead of 7 step drops. Solari and the OL have to step up... Alex, the WRs... almost everyone has been together for long enough it's time to put up or shut up.
^^to difficult to quote on my phone.

Pretty spot on it is a share of blame that dates back to nolan. But the reason you won't see smith supporters give any ground is, just like politics, there is no middle ground.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Mar 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM ]
Originally posted by toeshawn:

How can the team improve from that? Will another year in the same scheme make a difference or does someone need to be upgraded?

OL has improved since 2005. Give you a good guess to what hasnt.
For a couple of games I watched NFL rewind purposefully to see how the OL did on blitzes. THEY WERE HORRIBLE. Even in the Saints playoff game, DB blitzes were declared by the DB lining up basically on the line of scrimmage, and the blocking left them unaccounted for. So I thought, No OL would do that habitually or on purpose. So the OL must have assumed the play design was for a quick throw. WRONG. At least as far as I could tell, the receivers were not breaking routes quick to get throws. Even GORE, he would whiff on blocks or release into patterns without ever looking back as the blitz blew up the play. In some cases, a receiver never even looked back for a throw until a rusher was already sacking Smith!

This is NOT a defense of Smith. (As a matter of fact, I hope Smith had the balls to go to the sideline and ask "What the f**k. We can't game plan for this somehow!" But you know he doesn't do that, he keeps his mouth shut.)

But in reality, IMHO, this failure falls squarely on the OL/RB/TE coaching AND the OC. Now, the only exception for that statement would be if the coaching knew the talent was so bad that trying to do more would result in even bigger problems. (I will say, that despite ASnyder being an upgrade over Rachel, he was often whiffing on his blocks).
Originally posted by Joecool:

+1
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by toeshawn:

explain?

youre just grasping at straws if you think our o line was anything decent before last year

we may call it not but chilo started last year year before we just drafted 2 rookie OL bother were considered raw in pass protection