LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

More evidence that our offensive line is terrible

Shop Find 49ers gear online
New data shows that the 49ers give up more "short sacks" than any other team in the NFL, at a rate of 3x the league average. short sacks, defined as sacks under 2.5 seconds, are almost always on the offensive line failing to block (or a botched snap). In contrast, we've given up relatively few "long sacks" (coverage sacks), which are indicative of WRs failing to get open or the QB holding on to the ball for too long. In contrast, nearly all of the Rams' sacks are coverage sacks, with either Bradford holding the ball too long or WRs not getting open.

With an O-line like this, it's amazing we're 3-1 and it speaks volumes to the job our run defense has done and Alex Smith's ability to make lemons out of lemonade. The three teams that are directly better than us in short sacks are a combined 1-11 (SEA, MIA, and IND).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2011/under-pressure-our-first-2011-data

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/10/7/2475864/49ers-alex-smith-sacks-football-outsiders#comments
So all this proves is Alex smith > all the rest.

WE DONT SUCK
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
So all this proves is Alex smith > all the rest.

Well it does show that Alex Smith is the best quarterback with a s**tty offensive line. Atlanta's O-line has been horrible this year too and Matt Ryan has suffered as a result and there's a lot of press on that.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If this oline was good I swear we could win 12 games this year.
This is for people who aren't trusting what they were seeing from the line on game day. Or ignore it all together, and just blame it on Smith. I think the line did play better in the second half against the Eagles. But they might be just bad the next game. It's like waiting for A. Smith to play 2-3 good games in a row...
  • Jiks
I don't think they are terrible in the least. Have they played terrible? For the most part, but Oline is one of the tougher positions to come together. Give them time to gel.
Originally posted by Antix:
If this oline was good I swear we could win 12 games this year.

The 2010 Bears went 11-5 with a poor offensive line. But they made up for it with the #2 run defense in the NFL and excellent special teams. Sound familiar?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is for people who aren't trusting what they were seeing from the line on game day. Or ignore it all together, and just blame it on Smith. I think the line did play better in the second half against the Eagles. But they might be just bad the next game. It's like waiting for A. Smith to play 2-3 good games in a row...

Why?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
The 2010 Bears went 11-5 with a poor offensive line. But they made up for it with the #2 run defense in the NFL and excellent special teams. Sound familiar?

no.

They haven't been good, but I was encouraged by many things I saw vs Philly... aside from Davis. I am hopeful and almost expecting them to get decent grades against the Bucs D. Maybe I am underestimating the Bucs or overrating our OL.... but guess I am just being an optimistic fan.

Those are some pretty damning links though. Tell you what... on a couple of plays, the sacks were on 3 step drops... which means Alex is expected to get the ball out super quick. Now that said, on most of those plays, I am glad he did not. Better to take the sack than force what looked to me like obvious INTs on a couple ones.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Or we adjusted to take advantage of a very bad eagles front seven. They generate a ton of sacks, but according to FO (advanced stats) the Eagles have the worst defense in the NFL -- 28th vs the pass and 29th vs the run.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
no.

umm, we have a s**tty O-line, a good running back, and an excellent run defense.
I think they have played like garbage the whole year until the second half of the eagles game. I hope they r starting to gel, but I need to see some consistency from them before I buy into that.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
They haven't been good, but I was encouraged by many things I saw vs Philly... aside from Davis. I am hopeful and almost expecting them to get decent grades against the Bucs D. Maybe I am underestimating the Bucs or overrating our OL.... but guess I am just being an optimistic fan.

Those are some pretty damning links though. Tell you what... on a couple of plays, the sacks were on 3 step drops... which means Alex is expected to get the ball out super quick. Now that said, on most of those plays, I am glad he did not. Better to take the sack than force what looked to me like obvious INTs on a couple ones.

Seems to me like he's decided to take the sack instead of throwing a pick when he sees that protection is blown.
Share 49ersWebzone