LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Will Tukuafu gets 2 year extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Tukuafu has moved from bubble to LOCK for me. He stays and active on game days, I can see us using Tukuafu and Sopoaga at FB with Miller. I think it will be unique, because a 3-4 team usually keeps 8 LBs, and 6 DL, or potentially 7 DL and 9 LBs, but usally only 5 DL are active, but with Dobbs being kinda triple threat, DE, TE and OLB, makes it a need for Tukuafu active.
I thought this the whole time but Tukuafu is a lock. He showed what an athlete he is these past few games at FB. He does seem to be a better blocker than Sopoaga. He's smaller but he is quicker, he gets down lower (leverage). He whiffed a few times on pass pro but anyways with Sopoaga being a FA next year and if we can't afford him don't be surprised if Tukuafu takes over as short yardage and/or emergency FB. I wouldn't be surprised if he see's time at FB this year. I think what it comes down to is the staff wants to be prepared in case of emergencies or certain situations. We now have like 3 backup FBs if not more. Reuland especially and maybe Dobbs as well could play H-back. You won't see us go into a game and have to abandon I sets if Miller got hurt. Most teams would have to. Heck, half the teams don't use a FB to begin with. It's their loss...
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM ]
Man i when i saw Tuku blow up that defender near the goal line. I made me go Wooooooooooooooo! Love me some Wooooooo hits!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I thought this the whole time but Tukuafu is a lock. He showed what an athlete he is these past few games at FB. He does seem to be a better blocker than Sopoaga. He's smaller but he is quicker, he gets down lower (leverage). He whiffed a few times on pass pro but anyways with Sopoaga being a FA next year and if we can't afford him don't be surprised if Tukuafu takes over as short yardage and/or emergency FB. I wouldn't be surprised if he see's time at FB this year. I think what it comes down to is the staff wants to be prepared in case of emergencies or certain situations. We now have like 3 backup FBs if not more. Reuland especially and maybe Dobbs as well could play H-back. You won't see us go into a game and have to abandon I sets if Miller got hurt. Most teams would have to. Heck, half the teams don't use a FB to begin with. It's their loss...

Tukuafu leading blocking for Jacobs with Leonard Davis and Dobbs as TEs during a jumbo package!?! lmao I hope we do it.
I was really surprised how quick he was in he game
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Holy s**t! Tukuafu was laying the thunder at FB. I think he's a better lead blocker than Soap.

He was laying some BRICKS
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I want to see a replay of that block he laid on Jonas Meuton(sp?) inside the ten. He tore that guy a new a*****e.
Originally posted by sfout:
Tukuafu leading blocking for Jacobs with Leonard Davis and Dobbs as TEs during a jumbo package!?! lmao I hope we do it.

I think we will see a lot of LD signing up as an extra T or even TE. Throw in Dobbs or Vernon as well... expect a lot of jumbo packages
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Nah he's not a Soap replacement he's a defensive end. He's depth for Smith and RayMac, plus probably Brooks on 3rd downs.

Why would Tukuafu come in for Brooks on 3rd downs? Doesn't make sense.
Jacobs, Tukuafu, Soap backfield.... wishbone.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Jacobs, Tukuafu, Soap backfield.... wishbone.

We pass out of this formation lmao Soap screen
  • mod
  • Veteran
I have a feeling Tukuafu will be playing a beautiful role in this years offense... Almost makes me cry a little bit just thinking about him laying the smack down on laurinaitis, Daryl Washington, and whoever the f**k Seattle has at mlb
Tukuafu was impressive at FB. If you can get right in pass pro then that set becomes a real threat to defenses.

What the 49ers need to develop eventually is a pass threat out of the jumbo packages. The heavy formations should dictate a heavy defense and create some serious mismatches for VD of Miller releasing into a route.

For entertainment - I'd love to see the 49ers keep the jumbos in and run it continuously until the oppsoing defense can stop it or is completely mauled to exhaustion. Can you imagine an 12 play jumbo run drive over Seattle? :) That would be awesome.
As much as I hate the jumbo packages Tukuafu seems to be a much better blocker than...J Smith! Love letting the back ups in for special plays, no so fond of using starters out of position. Staley was a different story because tackle eligible plays are legitimate. I tend to be too conservative in these matters and appreciate the fun Harbaugh introduces to the team.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
As much as I hate the jumbo packages Tukuafu seems to be a much better blocker than...J Smith! Love letting the back ups in for special plays, no so fond of using starters out of position. Staley was a different story because tackle eligible plays are legitimate. I tend to be too conservative in these matters and appreciate the fun Harbaugh introduces to the team.

I think Tukuafu looks more natural playing FB than any other defender we've put in there. Unless you count Bruce Miller....

I have a hard time remembering that Tukuafu is so big while he's moving around... until he hits someone.
Share 49ersWebzone