LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Will Tukuafu gets 2 year extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Tukuafu, Ricky J, and Dobbs. We are set at depth for the 3-4 end.
Now the question is: is Ian a good back NT?

Ricky J. is the backup NT.
plus, RJF is the one that Fangio and Tomsula called "the 4th starter" at DL.
think we aren't drafting a DL this year
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Tukuafu, Ricky J, and Dobbs. We are set at depth for the 3-4 end.
Now the question is: is Ian a good back NT?

Ricky J. is the backup NT.

yep, and Dobbs and Ian Williams weren't active when Tukuafu was on the active roster before he went on IR.

We only kept 5 DL active, since Brooks, Aldon and Haralson can play DE at times.
Not surprised.

He is a favorite of Jim Tomsula.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Tukuafu is basically the same player as McDonald (in terms of measurables of course and quickness off the LOS), good re-signing IMO.
Probably his best play of the season before getting hurt early on.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d82223050/Jackson-coughs-one-up
Updating again:

Signed:
S CJ Spillman - Signed (3 Yrs)
OLB Ahmad Brooks - Signed (6 Yrs)
DE Will Tukuafu - Signed (2 Yrs)
FS Dashon Goldson - Franchise Tag (1 Yr )
LB Larry Grant - Tended (1 Yr)
CB Tramaine Brock - ERFA - Can't negotiate with another team, has to at least sign 1 year 540K (according to AB) or sit out the season

Left to Possibly Sign:
QB Alex Smith
CB Carlos Rogers
LB Blake Costanzo
WR Joshua Morgan
WR Ted Ginn
G Adam Snyder
LB Tavares Gooden

Likely Gone:
Moran Norris
Chilo Rachal
Madieu Williams
Justin Peele - Did a nice job but we have Byham already under contract. Saves money...
Brett Swain
Shawntae Spencer (Cut)

2012 Free Agents:
Isaac Sopoaga, Andy Lee, Ricky Jean-Francois, Delanie Walker
Dashon Goldson (assuming they don't work out long term deal before 7/16), Larry Grant (unless someone makes an offer and we match)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM ]
Did anybody else read the title as will he sign a 2 year deal. With all the threads started recently it would not have surprised me though.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
actually haven't heard of him but hey... seems like a solid back up
  • cools
  • Veteran
Tuku joined the Niners at around 260lbs, I read an article about him building himself into a 3-4 DE, he's worked hard at getting much stronger

Glad they brought him back, should be fun to watch in preseason, has a non-stop motor, I predict he will pass up Dobbs as the "5th" DL
and actually get in the rotation a bit

we will have a nice rotation going on next year. i like this sign.
According to Maiocco:
Tukuafu, who has one year of NFL experience, was scheduled to be an exclusive rights free agent with no power to negotiate with any team other than the 49ers this offseason. He signed for the minimum amounts with no guaranteed money.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Tukuafu-signs-extension-with-49ers?blockID=666094&feedID=5936

So really no risk.. probably counts for half a million on the cap each year if that.

I remember watching pre season game tape a few years back (maybe it was this year as well) and he stood out because of his motor. In that link Baalke says how great his work ethic is. He has speed, he has a good motor... I'm glad we re-signed him. P.S. I remember how sad it was when we signed him after Seattle cut him and I think it was in his 1st pre season game on one of his 1st snaps he got a sack and we were all like yeah, he has more sacks in a couple snaps than Balmer had in 2 years.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM ]
Go Ducks
  • bors
  • Veteran
he is basically our balmer muligan
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am waiting for a thread titled Why did we pay Will Tukuafu so much when we could sign Peyton Manning?
Share 49ersWebzone