LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Why did we sign brooks for so much $ instead of going after Mario Williams??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brooks deal was a very good deal on how it is structured.
Originally posted by 5280High:
In what world do you really think Super Mario would agree to being paid similarly to Brooks? He is about to get a Haynesworth type contract. Not to mention we already have one of the best front 7's that will only get better as Aldon gets a full offseason to really learn the scheme. Or Bowman and Willis continuing to work on rushing the passer and only get better at blitzing.

No thanks, put that money towards the offense or Rogers, our front 7 is already beasting.

No one said anything about being paid similar. i said the 44.5mil contract for 5 years and then adding on another 5 million... thats reducing 1 year from the six year brooks got and adding on another 5million... i really believe a 1 less year for super mario instead of a extra year of brooks would be worth more..

Aldon smith/Justin Smith/Super Mario. Bowman/Willis up the middle, looks nice
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
In what world do you really think Super Mario would agree to being paid similarly to Brooks? He is about to get a Haynesworth type contract. Not to mention we already have one of the best front 7's that will only get better as Aldon gets a full offseason to really learn the scheme. Or Bowman and Willis continuing to work on rushing the passer and only get better at blitzing.

No thanks, put that money towards the offense or Rogers, our front 7 is already beasting.

No one said anything about being paid similar. i said the 44.5mil contract for 5 years and then adding on another 5 million... thats reducing 1 year from the six year brooks got and adding on another 5million... i really believe a 1 less year for super mario instead of a extra year of brooks would be worth more..

he wouldn't sign for that much. or, if he did, he would want most of it guaranteed. AND, he probably wants to be a DE, not an OLB, so he probably won't sign for a 3-4 team.

brook's deal is incredibly favorable for the team. time to move on.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
people are still b***hing about Brooks' contract?

Apparently so. Besides, I don't want a guy on our team that wastes water.

5 years 50 million still isn't enough for Mario. And he would still be looking for a 35+ million dollar signing bonus. Not to mention the dude is a better fit and better used as a 4-3 DE.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:

look how tired he looks! Its worse than having his hands on his hips!
Signing Williams would cripple our team

The money we would use to sign him could get us another 4 players who could contribute on both sides of the ball

Let the Redskins sign him to a 2 year 100 million dollar deal
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:

look how tired he looks! Its worse than having his hands on his hips!

Yeah...that looks great.

I would consider Mario Williams to be on the tier of DeMarcus Ware and other defenders though. Do you know how much Ware is getting paid? Six years, 78 million, 40 million guaranteed. More than double what Ahmad Brooks got.
Someone doesnt understand NFL contracts...................

Brooks will end up being much cheaper in actual guaranteed money. Also we only saw five games of Williams being exposed to the 3-4 before his 2011 season ended. It's hard to know if it was truly suited to him, and I agreed with the sentiment that he will be looking at 4-3 teams . . . hopefully not Seattle. That would blow!
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:

Yeah...that looks great.

I would consider Mario Williams to be on the tier of DeMarcus Ware and other defenders though. Do you know how much Ware is getting paid? Six years, 78 million, 40 million guaranteed. More than double what Ahmad Brooks got.

The Brooks deal is much less risky bc in order for Brooks to get the max of the contract, he HAS to play like Mario and put his numbers up.

Mario is going to get $14 million a year whether he is hurt or not
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:

Yeah...that looks great.

it looks great though (: but yah i just heard a annoucer saying he was looking for 11-12 million and i felt since we had 30mill in cap space before the brooks signing it wouldve benefited us.
look at the value of a OLB of brooks ability. I don't care what people say. We didn't overpay. Brooks plays every down in our defense and isn't done getting better. Mario Williams would cost a fortune and we already have the best front 7 in football. Seriously this is the strength of the team and we just solidified it. Better to hopefully save some money to get Bowman back next year. Also if we have some money left then wideout or O-line is a much higher priority.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Someone doesnt understand NFL contracts...................

The majority of those who follow this website don't understand NFL contracts.

Williams is not a 3-4 OLB, and will end up signing with a team that employs a 4-3 to play DE, for a lot more money than we paid Brooks.
Share 49ersWebzone