LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 278 users in the forums

Why did we sign brooks for so much $ instead of going after Mario Williams??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
It's not that... we built through the draft on seperate occasions in the 80's yes.. but when our team right now is a player or two away from being in the superbowl, IF that.. you pull the trigger.. in 2 years guys' contracts will be up and we will be in the same predicament as losing key players etc, Justin smith is ONLY getting older and hes a big $ value on our roster.. gotta look outside the box and not believe that everyones gonna be on our team forever.. if you have a shot at the bowl and need 1 player to make that run and have the $ to do so you do it.. If we dont have the $ then we cant obviousley but im saying if we do have the $ theres no reason not to.

First off our defense is not why we didnt go to the Super Bowl. Our Defense was ELITE with Brooks. Our Offense needs the upgrades. If you knew anything about football and had any logic you would be able to figure it out yourself that we don't need Mario to take us to the Super Bowl, we need better Offensive weapons. Do us all a favor and think before you speak. This is not Madden.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
First off our defense is not why we didnt go to the Super Bowl. Our Defense was ELITE with Brooks. Our Offense needs the upgrades. If you knew anything about football and had any logic you would be able to figure it out yourself that we don't need Mario to take us to the Super Bowl, we need better Offensive weapons. Do us all a favor and think before you speak. This is not Madden.
and its not 1994, there is a plan on how we do things and it does not involve over spending on any one free agent,, and as has been stated many times, the brooks deal only counts a couple million against the cap, there is plenty of time to find a justin smith replacement but the answer is not to go crazy, over spend and get in trouble, we have some needs on defense and they outweigh any want on defense
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
It's not that... we built through the draft on seperate occasions in the 80's yes.. but when our team right now is a player or two away from being in the superbowl, IF that.. you pull the trigger.. in 2 years guys' contracts will be up and we will be in the same predicament as losing key players etc, Justin smith is ONLY getting older and hes a big $ value on our roster.. gotta look outside the box and not believe that everyones gonna be on our team forever.. if you have a shot at the bowl and need 1 player to make that run and have the $ to do so you do it.. If we dont have the $ then we cant obviousley but im saying if we do have the $ theres no reason not to.

did you take your happy pills this morning?? And refer to my post in the "what would make you cream your pants" thread... id love to upgrade our offense... and our defense was elite this year but i believe alot of that had to due with Justin/Aldon Duo.... Super mario is a upgrade over ahmad brooks by far.. and as for offense/points being scored, still not too worried about our offense.. we put up just as much points as the "ENTIRE BANK" spent on offense Patriots against the same new york giants D... should think about that for a minute too.
steve youngs superbowl winning team we got talent all over the place to win that superbowl.. i wanna win superbowls lol. Guess i just miss Eddie D spending/doing w.e it took for us to win games, granted we didnt have the salary cap.

that is the exact reason we were so mediocre forever. we paid out the ass for talent and it put us in a financial nightmare. no thanks we went 13-3 last year and can seriously improve on one side of the ball. no need to go sign high priced FA. if anything they should be taking a slight discount to be on a superbowl contender.
While I wouldn't have minded Mario, we have signed Brookes and at a good rate. Mario would have costed us twice as much and while we might been a tad better, I think the money is best spent elsewhere. As one sports writer wrote, when you have guys like Willis and J Smith and A Smith, while they are under contract, it would upset them that they have bled 49ers Red and Gold and you just give this guy more money than them who have not only bled for you but have produced.
Originally posted by WildBill:
While I wouldn't have minded Mario, we have signed Brookes and at a good rate. Mario would have costed us twice as much and while we might been a tad better, I think the money is best spent elsewhere. As one sports writer wrote, when you have guys like Willis and J Smith and A Smith, while they are under contract, it would upset them that they have bled 49ers Red and Gold and you just give this guy more money than them who have not only bled for you but have produced.

very true very true.. i agree youve changed my heart of mind.. VJAX or bust! (:
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
that is the exact reason we were so mediocre forever. we paid out the ass for talent and it put us in a financial nightmare. no thanks we went 13-3 last year and can seriously improve on one side of the ball. no need to go sign high priced FA. if anything they should be taking a slight discount to be on a superbowl contender.
to do what the poster wants us to do goes 100 per cent against the plan we set forth last year that got us to within one game of the superbowl and has been stated before, williams would not have been the difference that would have gotten us to that super bowl. as you stated, while we enjoyed some nice things from over spending, it bit us bad later, why in the world would you event want to risk going down that road? this makes zero sense, sorry
at first i thought he was joking. but this guy is serious

Great Post
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by 5280High:
In what world do you really think Super Mario would agree to being paid similarly to Brooks? He is about to get a Haynesworth type contract. Not to mention we already have one of the best front 7's that will only get better as Aldon gets a full offseason to really learn the scheme. Or Bowman and Willis continuing to work on rushing the passer and only get better at blitzing.

No thanks, put that money towards the offense or Rogers, our front 7 is already beasting.

No one said anything about being paid similar. i said the 44.5mil contract for 5 years and then adding on another 5 million... thats reducing 1 year from the six year brooks got and adding on another 5million... i really believe a 1 less year for super mario instead of a extra year of brooks would be worth more..

Aldon smith/Justin Smith/Super Mario. Bowman/Willis up the middle, looks nice

Yeah...that looks great.

I would consider Mario Williams to be on the tier of DeMarcus Ware and other defenders though. Do you know how much Ware is getting paid? Six years, 78 million, 40 million guaranteed. More than double what Ahmad Brooks got.

The Brooks deal is much less risky bc in order for Brooks to get the max of the contract, he HAS to play like Mario and put his numbers up.

Mario is going to get $14 million a year whether he is hurt or not

This is what I meant by simlar deals, even if you took a year off of Brooks contract, Mario would laugh at it. He is about to become the top paid DE (not OLB) in the league, and will probably get in the 35-45 mil range guaranteed.

There was no way this FO goes after Mario because his price will be rediculous not to mention the blatantly obvious point that it counteracts everything that brought this franchise back to success.... building from within, pay their own guys, and find reasonable FA band-aids. Stick to what works, and that has been the only thing working for us in the past decade but took 8 years to figure out .

Is.....this thread serious?
Originally posted by baltien:
Is.....this thread serious?

Williams should get a deal that nearly doubles what Brooks got...I think we're fine
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Great Post
Ding.Ding.Ding.Ding. We have a winner!!!

Can we shut this b***h down please....
Baalke's following a tried and true method of keeping his core players together...I'm pretty sure Fangio had a sizeable voice in keeping Brooks. He's impressed with his all-around game...and I hear Ahmad and Aldon Smith have a bet going as to who's going to get the most sacks next year...that's music to my ears.
Share 49ersWebzone