LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Why did we overpay so much for Brooks? And where does that leave us now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Um, he only gets $44 million if he plays like a $44 million dollar player, hence incentives.

If he doesn't, he gets the low end

How is this so difficult to understand how this is a win win situation for us
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Um, he only gets $44 million if he plays like a $44 million dollar player, hence incentives.

If he doesn't, he gets the low end

How is this so difficult to understand how this is a win win situation for us

It's really not. That's the beauty of nfl contracts unlike in the NBA, MLB and NHL. These contracts aren't fully guaranteed.
Originally posted by SFrush:
It's really not. That's the beauty of nfl contracts unlike in the NBA, MLB and NHL. These contracts aren't fully guaranteed.

So it's not a win for Brooks? 17.5 million is guaranteed and that sounds like a win for him considering his last contract was 4.25 million.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm glad to have him back too. But an average OLB is not worth $44 million.... How do we plan on signing these guys now?

~ Alex Smith - ascending albeit not great. 2nd year players are much worse than him. Don't kid yourself.

~ Dashon Goldson - Turned down 5 years and $25 million last year before his monster year. Will be espensive this year.

~ Carlos Rogers - Would love to have him back. But huge money for a 31 year old CB doesn't make sense.

~ Adam Snyder - Have you seen Chilo play? Don't think this guy is important?.....

~ Ted Ginn - Have you seen Kyle Williams try to return kicks? Do you think going into 2012 with KW as your primary return man is a good idea?.....

With the massive overpayment to Brooks now multiple of these may not be able to be signed. I just don't know what the front office was thinking? The highest sacks he ever had was 7. The highest tackes he ever had was 49. You explain it to me?

IMO he's a product of the players around him. Justin Smith and Aldon Smith are beasts. And Ray McDonald is hugely underrated. Sopoaga is good. Willis is great. Bowman is good. He's in a phenemonal front 7. And the attention is put to other guys. I just don't think he is $44 million good. And it has future salary cap implications. I'm fine with keeping our players. But I don't think that means massively overpay. We could have made OLB a priority in the draft too and picked up Vincent Jackson or Bowe with the money. I just don't know about this deal. Glad to have him back? Yes. At this price? No way.

You would think someone with 30k posts would know a few things

1) there is already a thread on the Brooks signing. Or did you feel our mis-guided opinion required its own special thread

2) Your opinion is mis-guided as it appears you don't have a basic understanding of how NFL contracts work
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
BROOKS WAS NOT OVERPAID!! AND I KNOW THIS BETTER THEN ALL OF YOU BECAUSE MY BOSS GAVE ME THIS COIN

+1
Originally posted by SFrush:
Wimbley had 11 sacks and 69 tackles as career highs respectively. Show me when Brooks did that?.....
The 11 sacks came his rookie season. He hasn't reached double digit sacks since. Maybe I'm missing something.

When did Brooks ever do 11 sacks? Ever? Above 10 ever? Double digits. Aldon Smith came in and did it as a rookie and made it look easy.

SD -

You are getting to hung up on the stats. You dont think Harbaugh, Vic and Baalke have looked at every single play involving Brooks 3 and 4 times over? There are a lot of things the stat line wont capture. Clearly what our FO saw on film (and everyday workouts) impressed them enough to offer him what they did. This isn't some FA that they've only watched film on or read about. He's been on the team for 3/4 years. They know him well. The bottom line is this signing wont stop us from signing the rest of the guys we value in FA. And if we can keep one of the most elite front 7s in history together for a few more years then its worth it.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM ]
yeah someone help me out.. where does this leave us in cap space??? does it take out 7mil out of our 30mil cap space?? so now we are left with 23mil?
Thread author: "How did he improve? He had 7 sacks 1 time in his career. And he had 49 tackles 1 time in his career."

Yes, the coaches saw him get 7 sacks and 49 tackles in his first full year with this system and without an off season. I look for him to get better next season in his second year with the system. Why is this a problem and what's wrong with getting 7 sacks the first time you've had an opportunity to be a full-time starter in a new system?
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Ahmad-Brooks-on-957/0b059551-d195-4edd-8bec-a18f731fdba7

Since some other people wrecked the last thread here is his interview on the radio... some good stuff...
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He won't be paid $44 Million . . .

He will if he plays out his contract and meets signing bonuses and other bonus money....

When does that ever happen?

U can't spell overreaction without ovary
Originally posted by solidg2000:
BROOKS WAS NOT OVERPAID!! AND I KNOW THIS BETTER THEN ALL OF YOU BECAUSE MY BOSS GAVE ME THIS COIN

P.S. I bet its difficult beating Aldon and Justin to the QB....just saying.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM ]
He will if he plays out his contract and meets signing bonuses and other bonus money....

Which likely includes such incentives as making the Pro Bowl, being an NFL sack leader, etc. . Guaranteed his contract is highly incentive laden and he won't make more than $6 m per year if he continues with his current stats. Also, don't forget that it's likely backloaded and we will not be likely to pay him the backloaded sum when the time comes (ex. Nate Clements was 8 years $80 million, but more like 6 years 50 million)
Originally posted by Eli_23:
U can't spell overreaction without ovary

yes you can
Another Braylon move IMO

Either that or Crabtree better have an All Pro season or else he's Audi 5000.
Share 49ersWebzone