LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Why did we overpay so much for Brooks? And where does that leave us now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
First season as a starter, Brooks gets 7 sacks, 1 FF, 10 QB hits, 40 QB pressures AND breaks Tony Romo's ribs...and peeps have got a problem with him re-signing? Niner Talk has gone batsh*t crazy.

I'm pretty sure rogers broke Romos ribs. could be wrong, but i don't think i am.
You're wrong. It was Brooks.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
First season as a starter, Brooks gets 7 sacks, 1 FF, 10 QB hits, 40 QB pressures AND breaks Tony Romo's ribs...and peeps have got a problem with him re-signing? Niner Talk has gone batsh*t crazy.

I'm pretty sure rogers broke Romos ribs. could be wrong, but i don't think i am.

it was Whitner
Wow, 14 pages?

Come on SanDiego, I thought you were better than this...
Annnnnnd ya didn't think that maybe all these "concerns" were not accounted for by a very professional front office? Sheesh!!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

it was Whitner

it was Tukuafu.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM ]

Yeah, the video kept showing Rogers, spelled "Rodgers" in the WZ, tackling him on a CB blitz but Brooks broke his ribs initially. But did Brooks get the "sack?" No? I guess his value is overinflated then. LOL.

BTW: OND...saw yours and many other responses to my post yesterday and just wanted to thank you guys for the kind words. Having the WZ as a medium to educate ourselves more about the team we love and objectively look at topics that are so well analyzed really, in the end, makes us better fans. We always were the classiest organization in all of football and the fans were always just the same. Its fun to post perspectives on here and let others decide "the truth" on their own. There have been many times where I read a perspective that pointed out something I didn't see before. I truly appreciate the fans, like you, who put in the time to do some research, watch the film, provide facts, etc. to 1) formulate an opinion and 2) back it up. Some of my favorite WZ posters over the years have different perspectives than myself but did their best to back it up and for that, I will always read their material and always respect their opinion. So thank YOU and to all the others who bring value to the WZ and knowledge as a Niner fan. Let's get this new season started already!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm glad to have him back too. But an average OLB is not worth $44 million.... How do we plan on signing these guys now?

~ Alex Smith - ascending albeit not great. 2nd year players are much worse than him. Don't kid yourself.

~ Dashon Goldson - Turned down 5 years and $25 million last year before his monster year. Will be espensive this year.

~ Carlos Rogers - Would love to have him back. But huge money for a 31 year old CB doesn't make sense.

~ Adam Snyder - Have you seen Chilo play? Don't think this guy is important?.....

~ Ted Ginn - Have you seen Kyle Williams try to return kicks? Do you think going into 2012 with KW as your primary return man is a good idea?.....

With the massive overpayment to Brooks now multiple of these may not be able to be signed. I just don't know what the front office was thinking? The highest sacks he ever had was 7. The highest tackes he ever had was 49. You explain it to me?

IMO he's a product of the players around him. Justin Smith and Aldon Smith are beasts. And Ray McDonald is hugely underrated. Sopoaga is good. Willis is great. Bowman is good. He's in a phenemonal front 7. And the attention is put to other guys. I just don't think he is $44 million good. And it has future salary cap implications. I'm fine with keeping our players. But I don't think that means massively overpay. We could have made OLB a priority in the draft too and picked up Vincent Jackson or Bowe with the money. I just don't know about this deal. Glad to have him back? Yes. At this price? No way.

your kidding about Chilo right? the guy f*ckin blows

You want Chilo instead of Snyder? We have to sign Snyder. He's a FA.

Neither of you guys are getting what the other is saying. Frisco didn't get your sarcasm about Chilo and San Diego is missing the fact that Frisco thinks he wants Chilo instaed of Snyder. He clearly states that Chilo "blows". Try actually reading each other's threads. You're both agreeing with each other!
Clements didn't get the full amount of his contract and neither will Brooks.
The majority of NFL players are overpaid.
Barrows' take on the deal . . .

I'd be shocked if the $44.5 million contract weren't set up with relatively low base salaries early on, high ones late, and a lot of difficult-to-attain bonuses. That is, the 49ers will have cut their first meaningful free-agent deal of the season to be salary-cap friendly and to allow them to sign more of their own free agents.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/qa-how-does-brooks-deal-affect-goldson-rogers-wallace-et-al.html
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM ]

Originally posted by susweel:
Get over it its not your money.

It's not our money. But it is our team! Without us(fans). Pro football would not exist.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Barrows' take on the deal . . .

I'd be shocked if the $44.5 million contract weren't set up with relatively low base salaries early on, high ones late, and a lot of difficult-to-attain bonuses. That is, the 49ers will have cut their first meaningful free-agent deal of the season to be salary-cap friendly and to allow them to sign more of their own free agents.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/qa-how-does-brooks-deal-affect-goldson-rogers-wallace-et-al.html

Until the details of the contract are made available, we will not be able to evaluate Brook's contract or understand how it impacts free agency.

Other contracts will be signed. Hopefully, we will have the good sense to restrain our impulses and wait until we see the details before launching threads such as this one.

If we do this it will easier to have an rational discussion.
Hey guys...remember that one time when Nate Clements played 8 years for the Niners and received 80 million dollars....or when Albert Haynesworth played 7 years for the Redskins and made 100 million....

Or that one time when the Raiders didn't tell Kamerion Wimbley that he needed to restructure his contract or get cut....and he finished out the contract exactly how it was and played for them for 5 years and made 48 million....(http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-free-agency/2012/3/1/2835758/raiders-free-agency-kamerion-wimbley)

Yeah, those were good times...
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Hey guys...remember that one time when Nate Clements played 8 years for the Niners and received 80 million dollars....or when Albert Haynesworth played 7 years for the Redskins and made 100 million....

Or that one time when the Raiders didn't tell Kamerion Wimbley that he needed to restructure his contract or get cut....and he finished out the contract exactly how it was and played for them for 5 years and made 48 million....(http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-free-agency/2012/3/1/2835758/raiders-free-agency-kamerion-wimbley)

Yeah, those were good times...

another LINK

Wimbley was definitely not worth that contract, and Brooks got a deal for a lot less. I would take Brooks over Wimbley any day of the week
Originally posted by HessianDud:
for what we paid Brooks we could have signed 10 David Garrards!!!!!!!

This
Share 49ersWebzone