LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

the question the OP asked was who had the better career. And by any measure that is Bryant Young.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I wasnt old enough to watch BY in his prime but I do remember his last couple of years. Easilythe classes football player ever

But what if BY in his prime played in this defense? With an elite LB score, elite Safety core, etc
Some people here think BY had great lines his whole career. the first 3 years, yes....but after barker, doleman, and stubblefield, left we kept relied complegtely on BY to occupy 2-3 blocks while the rest of our Dline was pieced together with tape and bubble gum. He was the only guy on the entire defense for some of those years. He came back the next year from a late season horrific Joe theismann-like broken leg. Also, he played DT for most of those years. There is no way you can compare his sack stats to J. Smiths. NO Way. Plus he was stuffing the run in the backfield and getting sacks, when he was the only guy worth blocking on the team. He was the entire heart of the team, especially after the Yorks and Donahue dumped our 2 -year-straight-playoff team into the fire. He is my favorite athlete of all time (of course tied w/ Rice Montana Lott and Steve Young).

Justin Smith had a Defensive Player of the Year type season last year. He's been great, and especially last year when our offense and defense improved. I hope he continues to be the same player he has been for us. He's a beast, and a big reason why SF is destined to get #6 trophy.

I absolutely love both these players. Lucky to have been able to watch both of these guys. BY is an under the radar legend. Meek, out-of-the spotlight he was every bit the equal to Sapp and Strahan who got all the media love. J. Smith has a chance to be just as legendary. Maybe next season he gets a "makeup call" Def POY award.
Who's got a Super Bowl ring? BY
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
who's got more all pro selections?

are you assuming Smith is done being selected to all-pro teams? I think he has a couple left in him.

no not assuming that, just asking a question.... IMO smith will be all pro selection at least two more times
BY for the simple reason that the team has awarded him the Len Eshmont award 8 FREAKIN TIMES. Justin Smith has received the award once.

Len Eshmont Winners Since 1994
1994 QB Steve Young
1995 FB William Floyd
1996 DT Bryant Young
1997 DT Dana Stubblefield
1998 DT Bryant Young
1999 DT Bryant Young
2000 DT Bryant Young
2001 RB Garrison Hearst
2002 SS Tony Parrish
2003 LB Julian Peterson
2004 DT Bryant Young
2005 DT Bryant Young
2006 DT Bryant Young
2007 DT Bryant Young
2008 WR Isaac Bruce
2009 TE Vernon Davis
2010 LB Takeo Spikes
2011 DE Justin Smith
Originally posted by Handlesit:
BY for the simple reason that the team has awarded him the Len Eshmont award 8 FREAKIN TIMES. Justin Smith has received the award once.

1994 QB Steve Young
1995 FB William Floyd
1996 DT Bryant Young
1998 DT Bryant Young
1999 DT Bryant Young
2000 DT Bryant Young
2001 RB Garrison Hearst
2002 SS Tony Parrish
2003 LB Julian Peterson
2004 DT Bryant Young
2005 DT Bryant Young
2006 DT Bryant Young
2007 DT Bryant Young
2008 WR Isaac Bruce
2009 TE Vernon Davis
2010 LB Takeo Spikes
2011 DE Justin Smith

I believe BY holds the record for most times winning the award in Niners history.
Originally posted by susweel:
BY was a better player but the talent around him was not so good.

BY had some excellent talent around that played with him. Dana Stubblefield, Tim Harris, Chris Doleman, Roy Barker, Dana Stubblefield, Junior Bryant, Kevin Greene Charles Haley (98 playoffs)
Originally posted by valrod33:
Justin Smith will have the better numbers when his career is done

Justin Smith is better right now. This is a 49er forum, though, and a great player who was with the team from beginning to end is going to win a vote against a great player who came from another team.

I was always a huge Bryant Young fan - still am - but Justin Smith is the better player. Someone stated BY had nobody around him, well neither did Justin Smith before he came to SF. BY never had a season like Justin Smith in 2011.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I believe BY holds the record for most times winning the award in Niners history.

1994 QB Steve Young
1995 FB William Floyd
1996 DT Bryant Young
1998 DT Bryant Young
1999 DT Bryant Young
2000 DT Bryant Young
2001 RB Garrison Hearst
2002 SS Tony Parrish
2003 LB Julian Peterson
2004 DT Bryant Young
2005 DT Bryant Young
2006 DT Bryant Young
2007 DT Bryant Young
2008 WR Isaac Bruce
2009 TE Vernon Davis
2010 LB Takeo Spikes
2011 DE Justin Smith

BY had a strangle hold on the Eshmont award.. As good as BY was, I can't recall him ever having a season like Smith had last year. Based on the complete career, BY wins for now, but not by that much. If the comparison was based on a single season, Smith wins.

I hate to see Isaac Bruce on this list. I never liked him as a Ram and he had no business being on the 49ers.

• okdkid
  • Veteran

1994 QB Steve Young
1995 FB William Floyd
1996 DT Bryant Young
1998 DT Bryant Young
1999 DT Bryant Young
2000 DT Bryant Young
2001 RB Garrison Hearst
2002 SS Tony Parrish
2003 LB Julian Peterson
2004 DT Bryant Young
2005 DT Bryant Young
2006 DT Bryant Young
2007 DT Bryant Young
2008 WR Isaac Bruce
2009 TE Vernon Davis
2010 LB Takeo Spikes
2011 DE Justin Smith

WTF is Smith supposed to do? This is a logic fail.

Justin Smith has been on this team for four years. The other guy was on the team for 14.

There are a few arguments that can be made in BY's favor. This is not one of them. The team award "Super Bowl ring" argument is even better.

You might as well have said, "Well, um, BY played more games as a 49er. So there!".
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Justin Smith is a better player... period

Bryant Young was a good player, one of my first favorite niners but Justin Smith is just better.

I tend to agree. BY was really really good and one of my all time favorite Niners. Extremely consistent, and a double teamer from day 1,but I have seen Justin Smith do things that amaze me. Justin Smith is relentless to his core.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Justin Smith will have the better numbers when his career is done

Justin Smith is better right now. This is a 49er forum, though, and a great player who was with the team from beginning to end is going to win a vote against a great player who came from another team.

I was always a huge Bryant Young fan - still am - but Justin Smith is the better player. Someone stated BY had nobody around him, well neither did Justin Smith before he came to SF. BY never had a season like Justin Smith in 2011.

i agree, by was my fav 9er through the late 90s, early uh ohs. imo smith still didnt have any one around him when he came here (on the line, not front 7), and ray mac might be changing that.
BY, he was the dominant player on different good defenses for a long time. Not taking anything away from Justin, but BY was in a different class. Many people would argue that Dana S got the defensive MVP because he played next to BY.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
When I watch NFL NETWORK and they call Warren Sapp qb killer, I get mad because Bryant Young played in a read and react type defense and almost put up as many sacks as Sapp. I was sad when he retired but when they signed the cowboy It was the perfect replacement for BY.
Share 49ersWebzone