There are 238 users in the forums

What keeps the offense from begin elite

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
A Home Run Hitter.

Davis was a home run hitter during the playoff run, but generally we were a dink and dunk team that had trouble in the redzone. But most teams have trouble in the redzone (not as bad as us, but still not great). If we have a home run hitter who can score a 60-70yd touchdown 5 or 6 times a season, that will keep an opposing safety deep, open up the TEs and WRs underneath and relieve some of the 8 and 9 man fronts on running plays.

And honestly, it could be a HB, TE, or WR. I think all three could be possibilities.

I also think Crabtree will be incrementally better next year (still sub-1000yd) but getting very close, and Morgan put up 700ish.

Put it all together, we will be an above average offense with a stellar defense, a combination that will carry us to the playoffs!

Dink & dunk is what NFL defenses do to you when your best WR option is your TE. Crabs was "incrementally" better in 2011. But we don't need anymore progress in increments from our supposed #1 WR who's now going into his 4th season. We needed him to step up. He didn't and we suffered because of it. And if a combination of a steller D with just an average offense is what we have for the 2012 season then there will be a lot of disappointed fans. In 2011 there weren't that many things that kept use from being elite. But chief among them was the lack-luster output at the WR position. That lack of production seriously held back the offense, forcing the coaching be extra creative with their playcalling and play design to hide our WR weaknesses. But, as we say in the NFC title game, we will get exposed because creativity and exotic play design will only take us so far. At some point we are going to have to get much better at the WR position.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM ]
I would like for us to upgrade the RG position and obtain a #1 receiver. Let tthe offense gel for six games together and then it will be lights out.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Its so comical to me that some posters continually say Alex ranks in the top 10 QBs. Aside from QBR, which he is barely in the top 10, there isnt a single measurable statistic that Alex ranks in the top 10 in. Thats like saying Jose Calderon is a top 10 free throw shooter, so he is a top 10 NBA point guard.

come on now bro lol... Quarter Back Rating has alot to do with the position. that is telling you how accurate and completions etc the quarterback is.. Free Throws to a quarterback is more like how good he is at avoiding a sack i suppose? i dont know but free throws to QBR... lol

im expecting a 3.5k+ yard performance 25tds 10 ints from smith this next year

Im not going to argue with your expectations. I hope you are correct.

Maybe QBR and FT% was not a good comparison, but my point stands. One top 10 QB statistic doesnt make a top 10 QB. Can Alex get there one day? With Harbaugh molding him....it could definitely happen. But he isnt there yet, and he definitely wasnt there last year.

i just hope we get kaepernick in the game and see what we have in him if hes going to be molding behind smith... If Smiths not the guy, im really hoping we have the right guy sitting behind him and not another bust.. quicker we find out what Kaep has and if hes better or worse than our guy alex, the quicker we can find a guy to sit behind alex smith... Even if alex is the guy for the next 4-5 years and get us a Superbowl theres no problem with having a guy behind him.. could do a Matt Flynn/Kevin kolb type deal to get draft #'s or even pull a new england where Ryan mallett is just hanging out.. i dont know how well hes been doing with the patriots though.

Man, its like Alex never took us to the playoffs and beat Drew Brees and the Saints with an epic drive?

Don't get some of you guys but whatever?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Its so comical to me that some posters continually say Alex ranks in the top 10 QBs.

Why it bothers you so much is the bigger issue. Just which team do you support anyway?

It doesnt bother me.....I said I think its funny. Big difference. I couldnt care less if people think Alex is the best QB in the world. But the point of a message board is to have discussions. So if someone says something I disagree with, I will chime in.

What does bother me is when posters like you make smug comments putting in question a person's fan card. Get off your high horse. I have been a season ticket holder for almost 2 decades. I am a die hard 49er fan. Just because I am not an Alex fan before I am a Niner fan like some people on this board shouldnt make you call the team I support into question. If you think by me not agreeing with the Alex stans on this board who blow his value/skills (to this point) way out of proportion, makes me a bad fan, fine. Your opinion.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Its so comical to me that some posters continually say Alex ranks in the top 10 QBs.

Why it bothers you so much is the bigger issue. Just which team do you support anyway?

It doesnt bother me.....I said I think its funny. Big difference. I couldnt care less if people think Alex is the best QB in the world. But the point of a message board is to have discussions. So if someone says something I disagree with, I will chime in.

What does bother me is when posters like you make smug comments putting in question a person's fan card. Get off your high horse. I have been a season ticket holder for almost 2 decades. I am a die hard 49er fan. Just because I am not an Alex fan before I am a Niner fan like some people on this board shouldnt make you call the team I support into question. If you think by me not agreeing with the Alex stans on this board who blow his value/skills (to this point) way out of proportion, makes me a bad fan, fine. Your opinion.

Hypocrite = You
1. Lack of team speed on offense. Our receivers do NOT get separation as pointed out by other posters.
2. Our offensive line has the talent but we are still young and they don't know how to play together.
3. Assuming we do get Alex some help, Harbaugh MUST allow him to get out of the GAME MANAGER mode. Simply put, good quarterbacks don't wait for a receiver to get open. They trust their receivers and deliver passes in tight quarters which is something Alex does not do at the moment.
4. See #3. If Alex can't deliver after we provide him some talent then it's time to get a new QB.
5. Lack of sophisticated pass routes/conservative play calling. Again, I think this was done on purpose last year but we need to start picking up 3rd downs and TDs next year.

I really think that Alex started gaining confidence the second half of the season....he's starting to get it. Onus will be on Harbaugh to give more rope to Alex. Much of this will hinge on Harbaugh and his willingness to open up the playbook.

I'm excited! One full camp (with Crabtree in attendance) sprinkled in with some team speed at WR and we'll be off to the races! It's gonna be a good year!!!!!
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Alex nuf said .

Yup..I hate those QBs that rank in the top 10 despite their WRs dropping more passes per att. than any other team with a winning record while getting more pressure than 2/3rd of the NFL QBs.

Its so comical to me that some posters continually say Alex ranks in the top 10 QBs. Aside from QBR, which he is barely in the top 10, there isnt a single measurable statistic that Alex ranks in the top 10 in. Thats like saying Jose Calderon is a top 10 free throw shooter, so he is a top 10 NBA point guard.

QBR is a blend of all the important stats. I can't think of a better stat to use if you're going to use one. Not to say it is perfect, but it's the best we have. Your comment is also incorrect. Just off the top of my head... Alex is ranked tied for 1st on INTs.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Man, its like Alex never took us to the playoffs and beat Drew Brees and the Saints with an epic drive?

There's tons of crap ass QB's out there who have won 1 playoff game and even gotten as far as the Superbowl. Gotta go by his full body of work which shows he is not yet a top 10 QB.

Personally, if our front office didn't give a crap about keeping a good culture, I'm sure Jason Campbell can come in and do similar things. He was leading the Raiders to a very solid season until he got hurt. And he would be super cheap.

I have a feeling this Saints game performance is going to be used for the next few years no different than Alex's five to seven "neat" plays in his first 6 years were used to showcase what some think he could do on a consistent basis. Alex has yet to do something at a high level on a consistent basis aside from not throwing open looks and keeping INTs down.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM ]
With the names of WR -- on paper we should have won the freak'n SB. I was still optimistic up until the last quarter of the season that the offense would be much better in the passing game. But Edwards got cut and Ginn going down with injury made it worse a lot worse, than the potential of all the receivers named.
Originally posted by cNiner:
Alex nuf said .

Yup..I hate those QBs that rank in the top 10 despite their WRs dropping more passes per att. than any other team with a winning record while getting more pressure than 2/3rd of the NFL QBs.

QBR is a blend of all the important stats. I can't think of a better stat to use if you're going to use one. Not to say it is perfect, but it's the best we have. Your comment is also incorrect. Just off the top of my head... Alex is ranked tied for 1st on INTs.

No, it is not. The only difference between Alex 2006 and Alex 2011 was his INT's. THAT difference alone produced a Rating that makes it appear like 2 completely different QB's.

Please do note the crap offensive talent Alex had around him (Gore excluded) in 2006.

Originally posted by Joecool:

There's tons of crap ass QB's out there who have won 1 playoff game and even gotten as far as the Superbowl. Gotta go by his full body of work which shows he is not yet a top 10 QB.

Personally, if our front office didn't give a crap about keeping a good culture, I'm sure Jason Campbell can come in and do similar things. He was leading the Raiders to a very solid season until he got hurt. And he would be super cheap.

I have a feeling this Saints game performance is going to be used for the next few years no different than Alex's five to seven "neat" plays in his first 6 years were used to showcase what some think he could do on a consistent basis. Alex has yet to do something at a high level on a consistent basis aside from not throwing open looks and keeping INTs down.

Assuming the 49ers re-sign him, this will be a very telling season on whether or not Alex can play well on a consistent basis. Goes for the whole offense really. The first time they have had a consistent offensive mind calling the shots.

Given the problems last season. There were missed throws, there were dropped passes. Missed opportunities. Given the circumstances, it is not out of the realm of reasonable to expect much improvement given more time. The regular season record of 13-3 shocked the hell out of me. I was expecting 6-10 at best given the lockout. The offense showed marked improvement as the season continued.

More time should build better chemistry between the offensive players. Better understanding of the offense, schemes, and responsibilities. We will need it too, as the schedule looks pretty tough.

What you do is put your dislike of Alex above your team fanhood, and you're not alone on this. Fans sometimes overrate their players... just a fact. But you? You feel this strong need to try and dismiss or argue when a fan may be doing so for Alex. Don't say "it's funny" when we all know it irritates you. Why does it irritate you? See the bolded.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
No, it is not. The only difference between Alex 2006 and Alex 2011 was his INT's. THAT difference alone produced a Rating that makes it appear like 2 completely different QB's.

Please do note the crap offensive talent Alex had around him (Gore excluded) in 2006.
i also think he just grew up, matured and showed some leadership, now you can argue how long it took for him but i guess he had to be in the right system. i also think he really did improve in his decision making skills,, he just did not make the major mistakes he used to make, backpeddaling and losing the football etc. I also noted that when he took off and make touchdown runs like vs the rams and the saints,, i swear the alex of old would have been either unable or unwilling to do that type of thing
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Assuming the 49ers re-sign him, this will be a very telling season on whether or not Alex can play well on a consistent basis. Goes for the whole offense really. The first time they have had a consistent offensive mind calling the shots.

Given the problems last season. There were missed throws, there were dropped passes. Missed opportunities. Given the circumstances, it is not out of the realm of reasonable to expect much improvement given more time. The regular season record of 13-3 shocked the hell out of me. I was expecting 6-10 at best given the lockout. The offense showed marked improvement as the season continued.

More time should build better chemistry between the offensive players. Better understanding of the offense, schemes, and responsibilities. We will need it too, as the schedule looks pretty tough.

Totally agree. None of our players on offense have consistently shown they can be top 10 type players. Crabtree's stats have increased in a linear pattern which is very good. So has Morgan's. Vernon is Vernon.

The only guys who need to show a longer trend in positive production is Alex and Delanie. Alex is more mental but Delanie...I just think his height is his shortcoming and he will not be able to overcome that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The QB and the WRs are subpar.
Share 49ersWebzone