LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

What keeps the offense from begin elite

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Its amazing how many fortune tellers there are on this site lol.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yeah i called em on some as well..

Everyone messes up somtimes but jeez. He more then doubled Alex's numbers over 30 yards.

And the table is from this year. You can tell because he was replying to a post about this years numbers and the TD count there is 17.

5 plays over 30 yards isn't good.

And look at his completion percentage. It is clearly inflated due to his 1-10 yard % and passes behind the line %. haha 70%

Then look at past 10 yards....like 40%

?

i said 4-8 on 30-50 it was 30-40 same % thats still not bad look at the other qbs ...
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Yeah i called em on some as well..

Everyone messes up somtimes but jeez. He more then doubled Alex's numbers over 30 yards.

And the table is from this year. You can tell because he was replying to a post about this years numbers and the TD count there is 17.

5 plays over 30 yards isn't good.

And look at his completion percentage. It is clearly inflated due to his 1-10 yard % and passes behind the line %. haha 70%

Then look at past 10 yards....like 40%

?

i said 4-8 on 30-50 it was 30-40 same % thats still not bad look at the other qbs ...

5 completions with passes thrown over 30 yards in a 16 game season?

Thats not bad? Mat Flynn has three. Probably all in that one game.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM ]
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/2330/tom-brady

Brady looked worse on the long ball if you are going to do that
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Yeah they have a problem with the long ball. Welker hurting and TE offense. Now they have a WR problem just as bad as ours.

I'm sure they are talking about fixing that as well like we are.

Rogers, Brees, Rivers, Stafford all had double that. Big plays are an issue. Those 5 extra 30+ yard completions would have helped a lot in those games which were close. We need to stick the nail in the coffin.

The number of passes thrown accounts for the limited number thrown in any category. The comparisons are interesting if anyone would like to find the table that was created a month or so ago and posted. It showed that Smith was more competitive with elite QBs the further he threw the ball. Brady was incredibly good short but non existent long, and Rodgers was lights out anywhere. So to say, as someone did, that Smith's problem was the long ball is just incorrect. If anything, he suffers (by comparison) on short passes.

Edit: What we should all be watching this year, with the full training camp and mini-camps, is an improvement on slants and short to medium passes in general. If Smith makes as much improvement in these passes as he did in the long passes last year he will jump into the elite category. If, as some say, he has bad vision, pocket awareness, touch, etc. he will not make this jump and his ceiling will begin to be better defined. Still not totally defined as he may make progress for several years with Harbaugh. Why not, the guy is a student of the game.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

The number of passes thrown accounts for the limited number thrown in any category. The comparisons are interesting if anyone would like to find the table that was created a month or so ago and posted. It showed that Smith was more competitive with elite QBs the further he threw the ball. Brady was incredibly good short but non existent long, and Rodgers was lights out anywhere. So to say, as someone did, that Smith's problem was the long ball is just incorrect. If anything, he suffers (by comparison) on short passes.

Edit: What we should all be watching this year, with the full training camp and mini-camps, is an improvement on slants and short to medium passes in general. If Smith makes as much improvement in these passes as he did in the long passes last year he will jump into the elite category. If, as some say, he has bad vision, pocket awareness, touch, etc. he will not make this jump and his ceiling will begin to be better defined. Still not totally defined as he may make progress for several years with Harbaugh. Why not, the guy is a student of the game.

Of course the number of passes thrown matter. Smith has had plenty of shots though. But like i said ealier, Matt Flynn had 3 completions over 30 yards in only a handful of snaps.

Regardless, one of Smith's problem is the long ball. Yeah Brady struggled with it this year and i bet they are trying to fix it.

Most of the better QBs have better long ball numbers then Smith. Why so hard to accept that?

We need him to step up in that regard.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Yeah they have a problem with the long ball. Welker hurting and TE offense. Now they have a WR problem just as bad as ours.

I'm sure they are talking about fixing that as well like we are.

Rogers, Brees, Rivers, Stafford all had double that. Big plays are an issue. Those 5 extra 30+ yard completions would have helped a lot in those games which were close. We need to stick the nail in the coffin.

Agreed...and more than that a big play here or there opens up the field for the smaller stuff.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Of course the number of passes thrown matter. Smith has had plenty of shots though. But like i said ealier, Matt Flynn had 3 completions over 30 yards in only a handful of snaps.

Regardless, one of Smith's problem is the long ball. Yeah Brady struggled with it this year and i bet they are trying to fix it.

Most of the better QBs have better long ball numbers then Smith. Why so hard to accept that?

We need him to step up in that regard.

It would also help the long ball a lot if we had poorer field position. Our stupid defense keeps getting the ball back too close to the opponent's goal line. Special teams also hurt the long ball. Next year let's hope our starting field position is our own 20 yard line. We need more room to operate. Just look at Green Bay. Rodgers has good long ball numbers because their defense and ST are helping him by giving him more field to cross. Brees gets the same benefit.

Motto for next year: MORE FIELD SPACE TO CROSS!! NO MORE SHORT FIELDS!!!

Haters still hating.

mike wallace.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
The talent is pretty good, coaching is outstanding, and the QB is serviceable and appears to be on an upward curve. So what's holding us back?

You've got to start with the foundation. The O-line was improved last season but still not elite... or even close to elite. Another year in the same system will help them to gel, but the weakest link is still Right Guard. I'd expect the team to try and upgrade that position this year. Whether it comes from in-house development (Kilgore? Person?) or they decide to bring in a FA or draft pick, the team needs to solidify this position and develop a dominating O-line.

Next up is Wide Receiver. There's no receiver on the roster, other than a TE (Davis), who demands double teams or scares opposing defenses. If you were to add a true #1 WR, it creates more opportunities for Crabtree and Davis and makes every other WR better. I expect the 49ers to be in the running for Mike Wallace. He's a perfect fit and would elevate the 9ers' passing attack. They won't overpay for him, however, and will definitely have a plan B and plan C. Any way you do it, you need to add a dominant WR.

Finally, you need to revisit the Running Back position. Production tailed off towards the end of last season... both for Gore individually and the running attack as a whole. You need to start planning for life after Gore, which may be coming sooner than you think. I'm not sure Kendal Hunter can carry the load by himself and Dixon seems to be a utility player only. Expect the team to take another back in the draft and, if the right guy falls to them, they may even use a high pick.
Alex Smith Splits (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8416/alex-smith)

Down cmp att yds cmp% avg lng td int sack rat
DOWN = 3 OVERALL 70 128 832 54.7 6.50 56 3 2 22 76.0

3rd (or 4th) down
and 9+ yards to go 30 48 364 62.5 7.58 163* 0 0 7 85.8

3rd (or 4th) down
and 3-8 yards to go 38 74 419 51.4 5.66 160* 3 2 15 70.7

*These longs must not be correct?

I think we need to work on not taking sacks on 3rd down. For example...

Joe Flacco took 12 sacks on 3rd down all year.
Tom Brady took 15 sacks on 3rd down all year.
Aaron Rodgers took 11 sacks on 3rd down all year.
Andy Dalton took 5 sacks on 3rd down all year.
[ Edited by Bootlegger on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
It would also help the long ball a lot if we had poorer field position. Our stupid defense keeps getting the ball back too close to the opponent's goal line. Special teams also hurt the long ball. Next year let's hope our starting field position is our own 20 yard line. We need more room to operate. Just look at Green Bay. Rodgers has good long ball numbers because their defense and ST are helping him by giving him more field to cross. Brees gets the same benefit.

Motto for next year: MORE FIELD SPACE TO CROSS!! NO MORE SHORT FIELDS!!!

You act as if our average starting position of the 33 yard line is such a huge difference than Green Bays 30 yard line or New Orleans 28 yard line.

I know most of your post was sarcasm, but your point still came across. But your point of using our best in the league starting field position as a way to justify our lack of success in long passes is silly.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Alex Smith Splits (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/8416/alex-smith)

Down cmp att yds cmp% avg lng td int sack rat
DOWN = 3 OVERALL 70 128 832 54.7 6.50 56 3 2 22 76.0

3rd (or 4th) down
and 9+ yards to go 30 48 364 62.5 7.58 163* 0 0 7 85.8

3rd (or 4th) down
and 3-8 yards to go 38 74 419 51.4 5.66 160* 3 2 15 70.7

*These longs must not be correct?

I think we need to work on not taking sacks on 3rd down. For example...

Joe Flacco took 12 sacks on 3rd down all year.
Tom Brady took 15 sacks on 3rd down all year.
Aaron Rodgers took 11 sacks on 3rd down all year.
Andy Dalton took 5 sacks on 3rd down all year.

i can guarentee you most of our sacks happened when chilo was in (ravens game and dallas ame we took a lot of sacks when chilo was in and the right side of the line got dominated
Share 49ersWebzone