LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Over/Under Crabtree playing 2 preseason games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm very hesitant to blame a player who has a bad foot injury for being lazy. The king of foot injury was Bill Walton, who had recurring stress fractures that sidelined him during much of his career. The injuries also limited the amount of time he could spend on floor--practice and games. Some called him lazy at the time and suggested he had a bad attitude, but in reality Walton was enthralled with basketball and would have given anything to stay on the court.

The same could be true of Crabtree. If more players (worse yet coaches) call him out and suggest he is malingering I will take note, but so far the only incident is with VD, who is not the most emotionally mature guy on the team.

If he is suffering from a bad attitude I have confidence in Harbaugh's ability to judge this and take appropriate steps. Don't see Crabtree leading a core of dissidents to storm the 9er headquarters.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Yes. Porfavor.

Prime example of what he's done all season.

We have to resign Josh Morgan for continuity with Alex and have him and Crabtree alternate at slot receiver while our #1 receiver (Bowe, DJax, VJax, Wallace, Stevie) lines up outside. The middle of the field will be a terror for opposing D's as they will have to cover our 1st/2nd/3rd round pick TE we draft to line up next to VD and DWalk!

My Perfect Scenario
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I'm very hesitant to blame a player who has a bad foot injury for being lazy. The king of foot injury was Bill Walton, who had recurring stress fractures that sidelined him during much of his career. The injuries also limited the amount of time he could spend on floor--practice and games. Some called him lazy at the time and suggested he had a bad attitude, but in reality Walton was enthralled with basketball and would have given anything to stay on the court.

The same could be true of Crabtree. If more players (worse yet coaches) call him out and suggest he is malingering I will take note, but so far the only incident is with VD, who is not the most emotionally mature guy on the team.

If he is suffering from a bad attitude I have confidence in Harbaugh's ability to judge this and take appropriate steps. Don't see Crabtree leading a core of dissidents to storm the 9er headquarters.

Dixon: 'Chilo! Put your ski mask on right!.. We're ready to storm the HQ.'

Chilo: 'I can't see... It's totally dark out here.'

Dixon: 'You've got you mask on backward! You dumb sh*t.... Spencer! You ready?!'

Spencer: '...Where's Crabtree...?!'

Chilo: 'Ssshhs...Guys... I heard something...'

Crabtree: 'Yo!! Homie!! S'up Dog!'

Dixon: 'We have plan. Where the hell were you at the meet?!'

Crabtree: 'Got to rest my foot bro.... I ain't storm'n with a bum foot'

Spencer: 'Alright, lets gooo! I want Lord Fangio.'

Dixon: 'For the last freak'n time... We ain't go'n after Fangio. We gett'n Harbaugh.'

Chilo: 'Hey! There he is. I can see him through the office window. Sleeping on the couch.'

Crabtree: 'How do you know it's him. Can't see his face.'

Spencer: 'Black sweat shirt and tan khaki pants. Yeah, that's him. Dude hadn't changed since Camp of last year.'

Dixon: 'Chilo, you got the bolt cutter?'

Chilo: 'Aww... I've got something way better. Check this out motherf*cker!!'

Crabtree: 'Sh*t! That's a chainsaw!!!.. WTF!!'

Dixon: 'We want to cut the lock and chains -- not bring down a freak'n tree!. Jeezzuss!

Spencer: 'Alright we're just have to go over the fence. 1...2... '

Chilo: 'Wait! I got to take a piss....'

Breaking News: Trespassers Caught on Security Video at Niners Facility.

Harbaugh: 'Yeah, really strange... I woke up to some noise outside. Look out the window. I saw some guys -- 3 maybe 4-- running around with ski masks on. One guy was fat. Look like he had a guitar with him. Another was limping around. I locked down the doors and grabbed my Indiana folding chairs to defend myself while I waited for the police to come.'

Slow time at work
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Pretty much. Not saying the kid doesn't have talent, he undeniably does. He just doesn't seem very motivated to me.
If he does not change his ways and become a team player, develop motivation and work in the off season he will not even get into a position to play in the pre season cuz the coaches will trade his ass.i really think he is on a short leash this year and what he does or maybe does NOT do this off season will determine if he is with the team in the pre season. Just my opinion but as you know in the second year of a new coach is usually when you see major changes . In the case of craps, if he does not work the coach will not hesitate to pull the trigger no matter what the fans or media(none of whom should have a say in what he does) think
Originally posted by 1swift:
Ha thats pretty funny. I do bet there is more support for KW.

srsly how f**king annoying is that

& btw who is anyone here to call him lazy? the guy made it to the NFL, what have YOU done in comparison? Not to mention, Harbaugh had praised him for his commitment even while he was out with injury...but if you think he is lazy even still, go ahead, your opinion is your right. America at its finest.

There are other reasons beyond motivation why some players, even with talent, do not succeed. If anything, I'd chalk up his playoff performance to simply being unable to perform well under extreme pressure. That is a quality some people just have or don't. I dont know if Michael Crabtree will become great (I've always rooted for him and will continue to) but if he doesn't, it won't be because of motivation. You simply can't KNOW someone's motivation level unless you know them personally or have accounts of it from others who do, and there is zero testimony from people within the organization that Crabtree is a slacker, that he doesn't care enough, or that he fakes injuries.
Whether or not he is a good teammate is a whole different issue, do not conflate them.
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM ]
Awesome funny read today, Harbaugh expects Crabtree to benefit from off season work its! OTA's and camp will be good for him...Jim you know Crabby don't play that! LOL Crabtree...off sea on....work outs! LOL

This just in Crabtree's foot swelled two sizes at the news of OTA's!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Awesome funny read today, Harbaugh expects Crabtree to benefit from off season work its! OTA's and camp will be good for him...Jim you know Crabby don't play that! LOL Crabtree...off sea on....work outs! LOL

This just in Crabtree's foot swelled two sizes at the news of OTA's!
its like the kid who gets sick on monday morning and then gets better friday.coach will not stand for any nonsense in his second off season with the team and he is not afraid to show craps or any player where the bear s**ts
Yes. Porfavor.

We have to resign Josh Morgan for continuity with Alex and have him and Crabtree alternate at slot receiver while our #1 receiver (Bowe, DJax, VJax, Wallace, Stevie) lines up outside. The middle of the field will be a terror for opposing D's as they will have to cover our 1st/2nd/3rd round pick TE we draft to line up next to VD and DWalk!

My Perfect Scenario
really ? how about 40 yarder he caught later that game, without which we would have most probably lost and also lost the 2nd seed as a result? "We don't win this game without Michael Crabtree making those plays," Harbaugh said.

quit trashing the webzone
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Dixon: 'Chilo! Put your ski mask on right!.. We're ready to storm the HQ.'

Chilo: 'I can't see... It's totally dark out here.'

Dixon: 'You've got you mask on backward! You dumb sh*t.... Spencer! You ready?!'

Spencer: '...Where's Crabtree...?!'

Chilo: 'Ssshhs...Guys... I heard something...'

Crabtree: 'Yo!! Homie!! S'up Dog!'

Dixon: 'We have plan. Where the hell were you at the meet?!'

Crabtree: 'Got to rest my foot bro.... I ain't storm'n with a bum foot'

Spencer: 'Alright, lets gooo! I want Lord Fangio.'

Dixon: 'For the last freak'n time... We ain't go'n after Fangio. We gett'n Harbaugh.'

Chilo: 'Hey! There he is. I can see him through the office window. Sleeping on the couch.'

Crabtree: 'How do you know it's him. Can't see his face.'

Spencer: 'Black sweat shirt and tan khaki pants. Yeah, that's him. Dude hadn't changed since Camp of last year.'

Dixon: 'Chilo, you got the bolt cutter?'

Chilo: 'Aww... I've got something way better. Check this out motherf*cker!!'

Crabtree: 'Sh*t! That's a chainsaw!!!.. WTF!!'

Dixon: 'We want to cut the lock and chains -- not bring down a freak'n tree!. Jeezzuss!

Spencer: 'Alright we're just have to go over the fence. 1...2... '

Chilo: 'Wait! I got to take a piss....'

Breaking News: Trespassers Caught on Security Video at Niners Facility.

Harbaugh: 'Yeah, really strange... I woke up to some noise outside. Look out the window. I saw some guys -- 3 maybe 4-- running around with ski masks on. One guy was fat. Look like he had a guitar with him. Another was limping around. I locked down the doors and grabbed my Indiana folding chairs to defend myself while I waited for the police to come.'

Slow time at work

Slow? Must have been dead! LOL! OK, now I can imagine him going along...but still not leading. Only problem is that Chilo would be in SoCal, wouldn't be hanging around the 9ers complex. Plus, Goldson should be knocking Spencer out as he tried to climb the fence at the same time...or knocking the chainsaw out of someones hands.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
Yes. Porfavor.

My Perfect Scenario
really ? how about 40 yarder he caught later that game, without which we would have most probably lost and also lost the 2nd seed as a result? "We don't win this game without Michael Crabtree making those plays," Harbaugh said.

quit trashing the webzone

This isn't a debate about would we have on a particular game with or without Crabtree. Harbaugh is doing what all coaches do - if x player wasn't wasn't playing, we wouldn't have made x play which contributed to the win.

The question is can UPGRADE Crabtree given that we've invested a #10 overall and expect him to be a 1000 yard/season WR - which in a 16 game season should be pretty easy regardless of offensive style - absolutely in a WCO. IMHO, the trend seems to be that he's a 600 - 700 yard/season WR which a solid number TWO guy.

no, harbaugh was being direct in saying that crabtree's catch was instrumental. and the discussion about upgrading and is he worth #10 blah blah is fine, that's not what i was responding to. read that part I had bolded, saying that GIF image was a prime example of what he's done all season. i was debunking that and that alone. also, Harbaugh's comments were not emblematic of what "all coaches do".. He also said, "In a lot of ways, Crab saved Christmas." If you still think that is is nothing more than coach-speak, I'm done.

"IMHO, the trend seems to be that he's a 600 - 700 yard/season.."
haha, your opinion is a total disregard of raw fact...he had 874 yards this year, so how can you say the trend seems to be almost 200 yards less?? I tend to agree that he may be a great #2 while an average #1, but lets not depart from reality here.
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Feb 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM ]

Wow
I think he will play all four games because he will be motivated since his team came OH SO CLOSE to the super bowl.
its not a concidense that he starts of slow every year than picks it up at the end of the year

he needs to attend TC and preseason
Agree 49ersall--if he can stay healthy this offseason, attend the mini-camps and then TC he and Smith may develop into a deadly duo, much as AS and VD have done. Would be great to have two or more receivers catching those TDs and creating some blowouts so the D can relax a bit and play their younger guys.
I think with Harbaugh as our coach and the fact that we got to the NFC Championship game, Crabtree will man up and, if asked to, play in all preseason games because he likes to win and get the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone