LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Goldson more important than rodgers......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
First, we shouldn't sign Goldson to a long-term contract - franchise him and see if he can continue to show improvement and play at a high level 2 seasons in a row before handing out a huge contract. Second, CB >>>>>>>>> Safety. It's not even close, there is a reason why franchise tag for a safety is 6M and for a CB it's almost $11M.

A good cb is a lot more important than a good S. Goodson had some bad games too but Rogers only really had one bad game. Rogers is a better cb than Goldson is a s.

We will keep both though, hopefully Rogers is 7-8 mil and Goldson is about 6-7 mil a year
  • fan49
  • Veteran
do people not understant he has always been a good corner. always top 5 in passes defended and always the #1 corner. For example he played with deangelo hall, and i would take rogers anyday over him. The only difference between rogers now is he catches the interceptions. That man is a legit 1!
Its tough to say that Dashon is better or more important than Aaron Rodgers!!!

Oh wait??? We talking about Carol? Queeee?
If I could only have one, I'd rather have Rogers than Goldson. Goldson is younger and will be cheaper to franchise, so I can understand the team putting a higher priority on him. Rogers is the better player and means more to the defense IMO.
There is no Rodgers on the 49ers.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
First, we shouldn't sign Goldson to a long-term contract - franchise him and see if he can continue to show improvement and play at a high level 2 seasons in a row before handing out a huge contract. Second, CB >>>>>>>>> Safety. It's not even close, there is a reason why franchise tag for a safety is 6M and for a CB it's almost $11M.

A good cb is a lot more important than a good S. Goodson had some bad games too but Rogers only really had one bad game. Rogers is a better cb than Goldson is a s.

We will keep both though, hopefully Rogers is 7-8 mil and Goldson is about 6-7 mil a year

Yeah but we didn't have Goldson the first 2 games vs Seattle and Dallas, and our secondary play was horried compared to how good it got later on in the season. His range, man coverage ability, hard hitting skills, and intelligence means so much to this defense IMO. I think it's easier to replace a corner than a safety as long as you get a good one. Just look at the Ravens, they're always replacing CBs but their secondary always plays well because of Ed Reed. I'd like to keep both though.
I meant rogers my bad, but i bet if goldson left the niners you guys
Would miss him alot, i corners come and go but safeties are hard to
Find
Originally posted by 49realdeal:
Find

exactly
Willisthewall ur exactly right man, and you couldn't of said it any better
Thanks man. I'm kind of surprised at how many people overlook Goldson. He had one of the best seasons for a safety in the whole NFL last year. Only NFC safety who was even as close to as good as him IMO was Earl Thomas on the Seahawks. Most teams would love to have Dashon. As long as he's healthy he's a top safety, and he's coming into his prime.

Culliver
Franchise Goldson. Whereas what I love what he did this year (made some impact plays, literally), I'm still weary of giving him a long term contract. Goldson did get burned a few times (i.e. @Arizona) this year because he goes for the pick instead of the safe tackle/deflection. He puts himself out of position allowing a big gain. However, if he makes the play, which he did more than not, it ends up being a big play. I want to see him back there for one more year for consistency. If he can produce another similar year like 2011, definitely give him the 5 year contract he deserves.`

Carlos is iffy for me too. Even though he gave up 120+ yards to Cruz playing man on him in the NFCC, he still did a great job making the tackle right after the catch and not letting Cruz break away from him, like Cruz did to many other CBs this year. I don't want to overpay for him though like we did Clements, though he seems miles ahead of Clements. All in all, I trust Baalke and co on their decisions, they surprised me last year when I did nothing but criticize all of the choices. I would love to see Rogers back, but sometimes you have to make the hard decision and let a good player good if the money isn't right. Baalke seems to know this so far...

Go Niners
considering there is no rodgers that plays for the 49ers it's safe to say Dashon is more important
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
do people not understant he has always been a good corner. always top 5 in passes defended and always the #1 corner. For example he played with deangelo hall, and i would take rogers anyday over him. The only difference between rogers now is he catches the interceptions. That man is a legit 1!

This. The only reason Rogers didn't go to Pro-Bowls with the 'Skins is because of lack of INTs, but he has been a darn good cover CB for a few years now. I'd like Goldson to return, but only on a 1-yr deal to prove he can play consistently. Rogers, who entered the league at 24, will be fine for the next 4 years - so giving him a long-term contract is perfectly fine by me.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49realdeal:
Find

exactly

Are you two serious? Corners come and go only when they aren't any good. You don't see the Jets trading Revis and the raiders clearly would have kept Nnamdi if they could have. CB is more important than safety. I want to keep Goldson, but come on. Both Goldson and Rogers were helped this season by the pass rush (also known as Justin and Aldon), but Rogers plays man and covers the other team's #1 option. No way is a good safety more important than a good CB.

If you can keep both, you should. We can.
Share 49ersWebzone