LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 394 users in the forums

Goldson more important than rodgers......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Are you two serious? Corners come and go only when they aren't any good. You don't see the Jets trading Revis and the raiders clearly would have kept Nnamdi if they could have. CB is more important than safety. I want to keep Goldson, but come on. Both Goldson and Rogers were helped this season by the pass rush (also known as Justin and Aldon), but Rogers plays man and covers the other team's #1 option. No way is a good safety more important than a good CB.

If you can keep both, you should. We can.

I agree. A CB > S anyday. Though having a Darrell Revis or a Ed Reed is always hard to come by and you never let one guy, I'd take a Revis over a Reed anyday.
Shutdown CBS and even a good cb is a lot more important than a s. look at teams against the jets? They own passing teams on defense bc of their cb and in spite of their s. look at Philly, they own passing teams. Good CBS are more important by far. Baltimore is probably the only example ovet the last what decade where a s is the most important piece to the secondary bc he covers so much ground. But then again, he is probably a top 5 s in league history.

Look at the in er teams when we had McDonald and hanks.......our CBS sucked and our pass d blew. That is a big reason why we lost most of the time to good passing teams.

This year, if it were not for Rogers we would of lost to NYC in the reg season, possibly det, and most of our close games. We haven't had a good cover cb since the 90s and look at all the plays Rogers made for us. Picked manning two times and saved our ass, picked rothlisberger covering Wallace in the end zone saving a td, covering arrlington in the playoff game to save a td on that deep post stopping Detroit on fourth down.. Too many plays to count.
This year, Goldson has done great and helped us win a few games but not like Rogers. Goldson picked off Bree's in the playoffs but Whitney was there as well and we had a lead. Goldson is a great s and glad we are going to keep him but it's pretty obvious that a good cb is more valuable than a good s. if this wasn't the case then why are the jets so dam good on d without a pass rush or great lbs or s?

Rogers is a better cb than Goldson is a s but we will keep both.
Hopefully we can keep both.
Originally posted by 49realdeal:
Belive me guys goldson is badass, he's the patrick willis of our secondary
Carlos rodgers is good but goldson is a monster out there!! Just ask donte
Whitner

he isnt pat willis at all his tackling sucks

rogers is a pro bowl level corner he is more important atm
Goldson is a big hitter that can change a game with one shot. Cruz flopped after every catch and it wasn't because of Rogers. That said,keep both.
~ He's younger than Rogers.
~ Rogers will be 31.
~ Dashon is 27.
~ Rogers play will drop off soon. Sooner than people think.
~ S is cheaper than CB on the salary cap. A huge CB salary is a salary cap buster.

In that context yes he is more important. Somebody will probably overpay for Rogers this offseason. I hope it's not us. I wouldn't mind him back at a reasonable price.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ He's younger than Rogers.
~ Rogers will be 31.
~ Dashon is 27.
~ Rogers play will drop off soon. Sooner than people think.
~ S is cheaper than CB on the salary cap. A huge CB salary is a salary cap buster.

In that context yes he is more important. Somebody will probably overpay for Rogers this offseason. I hope it's not us. I wouldn't mind him back at a reasonable price.

Not one of those reasons even remotely validates thinking a good safety is more important than a good CB.

And LOL @ trying to pass off your opinion as fact. You have no clue if Rogers will decline soon. There's also no guarantee Goldson will maintain his level of play. He was decent his first year as a starter and absolutely awful in 2010. He hasn't maintained any level of play (good, bad or otherwise) for more than one year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49realdeal:
I meant rogers my bad, but i bet if goldson left the niners you guys
Would miss him alot, i corners come and go but safeties are hard to
Find

exactly

Are you two serious? Corners come and go only when they aren't any good. You don't see the Jets trading Revis and the raiders clearly would have kept Nnamdi if they could have. CB is more important than safety. I want to keep Goldson, but come on. Both Goldson and Rogers were helped this season by the pass rush (also known as Justin and Aldon), but Rogers plays man and covers the other team's #1 option. No way is a good safety more important than a good CB.

If you can keep both, you should. We can.

This!!! and been say'n this!!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This!!! and been say'n this!!!!!

this corners are much more important than safties

finding a good safty is much easier than finding a good corner

Ugh more love for Dashon. Just one guys opinion, but I'm not a fan. Most of his picks were basically thrown right to him, he got burned deep again and again, and he's been asking for too much cash. I found myself asking "Why is that guy wide open?!?" and then answering with "Oh, because Goldson was covering him!" I thank our productive front 7 for allowing bad passes to be thrown and our DBs getting the picks they did this past year. It wasn't the case EVERY time, but it was quite a bit. The guy can hit...yes. The guy plays the run good. Sure. It's a passing league and the dude can't cover well. I guess we need an upgrade at CB so I don't have to expect so much from #38.
Just an opinion.
*puts up flame shield*
Yes he is
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Second, CB >>>>>>>>> Safety. It's not even close, there is a reason why franchise tag for a safety is 6M and for a CB it's almost $11M.

Is this always true, or does it depend on the quality of the players?

When I read the above I think of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and in the day Ronnie Lott.

Hard to imagine that these guys have less value than a safety.
Originally posted by buck:
Is this always true, or does it depend on the quality of the players?

When I read the above I think of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and in the day Ronnie Lott.

Hard to imagine that these guys have less value than a safety.
no matter what

but the tag goes up every year so it prevents you from franchising every year
The Bucs have about 60 mil in cap space. Blount isn't going anywhere.
Share 49ersWebzone