LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Goldson more important than rodgers......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Agreed. Rogers is very good but he's too old to sign long term
As everyone has probably been all over goldson since he got to start in 2009,

I've been a big fan of Goldson since Day 1 when he got drafted to us, i had a feeling he was gonna be a good safety cause of his size, and he can lay a hit and he's fast.

We haven't had a hitting Saftey since Tony Parrish in his prime, but id probably take Goldson over Parrish, and i know Parrish played SS and Goldson plays FS, but jus sayin.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
As everyone has probably been all over goldson since he got to start in 2009,

I've been a big fan of Goldson since Day 1 when he got drafted to us, i had a feeling he was gonna be a good safety cause of his size, and he can lay a hit and he's fast.

We haven't had a hitting Saftey since Tony Parrish in his prime, but id probably take Goldson over Parrish, and i know Parrish played SS and Goldson plays FS, but jus sayin.

Goldson >>>>> Parrish and it's not even close. The hits combined with the ball hawk ability is something we need to keep around for a long time
Goldson is too hot and cold. I don't trust his long term ability enough to lock him up. I think Rogers is a much safer guy to pay.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 19, 2012 at 2:46 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by buck:
Is this always true, or does it depend on the quality of the players?

When I read the above I think of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and in the day Ronnie Lott.

Hard to imagine that these guys have less value than a safety.
no matter what

but the tag goes up every year so it prevents you from franchising every year

No matter what???

Think you are being a bit dogmatic.

Explain to me how Shawntae Spencer is more important to the team or has more value on the open market than either Dashon Goldson or Donte Whitner.

I think that corner backs have, in general terms, more value than safeties, but not always or not not matter what.
I think they compliment each other really well for our defense......with that said KEEP BOTH!!!!!!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ He's younger than Rogers.
~ Rogers will be 31.
~ Dashon is 27.
~ Rogers play will drop off soon. Sooner than people think.
~ S is cheaper than CB on the salary cap. A huge CB salary is a salary cap buster.

In that context yes he is more important. Somebody will probably overpay for Rogers this offseason. I hope it's not us. I wouldn't mind him back at a reasonable price.

Not one of those reasons even remotely validates thinking a good safety is more important than a good CB.

And LOL @ trying to pass off your opinion as fact. You have no clue if Rogers will decline soon. There's also no guarantee Goldson will maintain his level of play. He was decent his first year as a starter and absolutely awful in 2010. He hasn't maintained any level of play (good, bad or otherwise) for more than one year.

You know Goldson wasn't fully healthy in 2010 right? Rogers will decline. CB's rely on speed. Somebody will overpay him. He's not going to be 37 and a top CB. Not going to happen. It would be nice to have him back. I just wouldn't overpay. I never said a safety is more important than a CB. They are both important. But Goldson is younger and therefore more valuable. You don't overpay an old player with a few top years left.
Originally posted by kronik:

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
This. The only reason Rogers didn't go to Pro-Bowls with the 'Skins is because of lack of INTs, but he has been a darn good cover CB for a few years now. I'd like Goldson to return, but only on a 1-yr deal to prove he can play consistently. Rogers, who entered the league at 24, will be fine for the next 4 years - so giving him a long-term contract is perfectly fine by me.

finally someone with some knowledge. Goldson needs to come back, but if ur even close to signing rogers off, get outta here, and go study his last few years. hes been a legit #1 corner since he stepped in the league. Just learned how to catch with us
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Goldson >>>>> Parrish and it's not even close. The hits combined with the ball hawk ability is something we need to keep around for a long time

Parrish had 4 forced fumbles his rookie year (10 FF career). Goldson has 4 FF in his career. Goldson had 6 interceptions this season (11 INT career). Parrish had 7 interceptions one year, and 9 interceptions the next (30 career INT). Looks pretty close to me.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
~ He's younger than Rogers.
~ Rogers will be 31.
~ Dashon is 27.
~ Rogers play will drop off soon. Sooner than people think.
~ S is cheaper than CB on the salary cap. A huge CB salary is a salary cap buster.

In that context yes he is more important. Somebody will probably overpay for Rogers this offseason. I hope it's not us. I wouldn't mind him back at a reasonable price.

Not one of those reasons even remotely validates thinking a good safety is more important than a good CB.

And LOL @ trying to pass off your opinion as fact. You have no clue if Rogers will decline soon. There's also no guarantee Goldson will maintain his level of play. He was decent his first year as a starter and absolutely awful in 2010. He hasn't maintained any level of play (good, bad or otherwise) for more than one year.

You know Goldson wasn't fully healthy in 2010 right? Rogers will decline. CB's rely on speed. Somebody will overpay him. He's not going to be 37 and a top CB. Not going to happen. It would be nice to have him back. I just wouldn't overpay. I never said a safety is more important than a CB. They are both important. But Goldson is younger and therefore more valuable. You don't overpay an old player with a few top years left.

Walt Harris was our best CB at a higher age. Look at Charles Woodson. And you remember Darrel Green?

Its not always about how fast you are. If your technique is better you can cover faster players. The older, wiser guys have better technique and have seen every route known to man.
No matter what???

Think you are being a bit dogmatic.

Explain to me how Shawntae Spencer is more important to the team or has more value on the open market than either Dashon Goldson or Donte Whitner.

I think that corner backs have, in general terms, more value than safeties, but not always or not not matter what.

were talking in terms of franchise tagging

for example if a team wanted to franchise a qb it is like 15 million no matter if it is tom brady or jamarcuss russel
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Second, CB >>>>>>>>> Safety. It's not even close, there is a reason why franchise tag for a safety is 6M and for a CB it's almost $11M.

Is this always true, or does it depend on the quality of the players?

When I read the above I think of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and in the day Ronnie Lott.

Hard to imagine that these guys have less value than a safety.

Of course not always. You can't compare all time great safeties to any CB. You compare a great safety with a great CB and I'll take the CB every single time. If given a choice between Champ Bailey and Ed Reed in their primes - I believe most people will take Champ Bailey as well.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:

He is 31 - can easily play at very high level for the next 4 years.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Shoot I can't even remember when the last time the 9ers ever drafted a Safety in the 1st round.

How are Safeties easier to find than CB's you ask......didn't we get Goldson in the 4th round???

How about Zack Bronson who went undrafted, or Tony Parrish in free agency, Donte Whitner thru free agency, Mark Roman (sure he wasn't a Pro Bowl but coaches started him 6 years straight).
Share 49ersWebzone