There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you believe the 49er will sign a true #1 WR AND a high draft pick as #2 WR?

Do you believe the 49er will sign a true #1 WR AND a high draft pick as #2 WR?

Originally posted by susweel:
We will sign a med level WR and draft another WR but not in the first round. I could see us signing someone like Manningham, Meacham or Chaz Shilans.

Barrows had an interesting take on how he thinks we will attack FA

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/02/how-the-49ers-will-approach-free-agent-wrs.html

The 49ers took a measured approach. They threw their hat into the ring when it came to the top name, Nnamdi Asomugha, and when Asomugha's price tag grew too extravagant, they withdrew and went to the next-biggest name, Johnathan Joseph. They also looked at Chris Carr before ultimately settling on Carlos Rogers, who signed a modest one-year contract and who went to the Pro Bowl. (Joseph also went, but Asomugha and Carr did not).

The experience likely has emboldened the 49ers that their approach is a very sound one. They evaluate would-be free agents, put a value on each one and pursue them until the demand outstrips the value. Last year, the 49ers knew that if they were patient, they ultimately would land a good free-agent cornerback.

This year's approach to wide receiver is bound to be similar. The 49ers might show interest initially in, say, Dwayne Bowe. If Bowe's market value goes beyond what the 49ers want to pay, they'll move to their next target, say, Vincent Jackson. If Jackson's price tag gets unwieldy, they'll move to Marques Colston, etc., etc.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by susweel:
We will sign a med level WR and draft another WR but not in the first round. I could see us signing someone like Manningham, Meacham or Chaz Shilans.

Barrows had an interesting take on how he thinks we will attack FA

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/02/how-the-49ers-will-approach-free-agent-wrs.html

The 49ers took a measured approach. They threw their hat into the ring when it came to the top name, Nnamdi Asomugha, and when Asomugha's price tag grew too extravagant, they withdrew and went to the next-biggest name, Johnathan Joseph. They also looked at Chris Carr before ultimately settling on Carlos Rogers, who signed a modest one-year contract and who went to the Pro Bowl. (Joseph also went, but Asomugha and Carr did not).

The experience likely has emboldened the 49ers that their approach is a very sound one. They evaluate would-be free agents, put a value on each one and pursue them until the demand outstrips the value. Last year, the 49ers knew that if they were patient, they ultimately would land a good free-agent cornerback.

This year's approach to wide receiver is bound to be similar. The 49ers might show interest initially in, say, Dwayne Bowe. If Bowe's market value goes beyond what the 49ers want to pay, they'll move to their next target, say, Vincent Jackson. If Jackson's price tag gets unwieldy, they'll move to Marques Colston, etc., etc.

Yah thats pretty much how I see them doing it also. I dont see Baalke just going crazy over one guy and breaking the bank for him.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
My Prediction...

49ers will sign mid-level WR and draft another one in round 2 or 3. Crabtree ain't going anywhere.

This sounds reasonable and likely.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
My Prediction...

49ers will sign mid-level WR and draft another one in round 2 or 3. Crabtree ain't going anywhere.

This sounds reasonable and likely.

I'm really getting used to the thought of signing Meachem and drafting either Fleener in the 1st, or a WR in the 2nd.

Meachem and Crabtree on the outside, Morgan/Williams in the slot, and VD and Fleener in a 2 TE set...
My Prediction...

bump
yeah, Val, i had read that and that is what made me think about $$ and keeping craps. Based on that, I don't see us getting bowe, Vince Jackson, Colston, we don't want meme me De Sean jackson, so...it seemed that we would end up not getting a top tier #1 and would end up pretty much like niner4life's Meacham/ Fleener. Something like that, yeah, i can see us keeping craps. But if we were to get so lucky to get bowe, no way do i see craps staying around after that purchase. It just didn't add up $$ wise, and that was the entire point of the question...altho i muffed it. Thanks to you guys for straightening it out. This makes sense, $$ wise and talent wise. With those two hands guys, altho one is a TE, it seems doable. The hard part is to realize that if we keep craps we aren't going to get bowe.
Darn it.
My Prediction...

The most sensible answer.

The people who say....oh yeah they're going to add like 3 or 4 WR's.....no.

Where the hell are you going to play these people? Crabtree is a very good receiver, he can be a very good #2, Morgan should be resigned because of the chemistry with Alex. Kyle Williams isn't going anywhere. So right there you have 3 WR positions filled, on a team that often uses a 2 TE formation, thereby further reducing the need for WR's. I see them drafting someone in Rounds 2-4, having them develop into a full-time starter and signing a 2nd/3rd tier WR, a guy like Garcon, Meachem, Robinson etc. Just by doing that they should be a lot more improved on offense next season.

Also if this team were to re-sign all their free agents they'd have roughly about 8-12 million left in cap space, with draft picks and possibly other free agents out there still to sign. Do you really see this team blowing 9 or 10 million dollars of that on a WR? I don't. You do that and its only a short time before you wind up in salary cap hell all over again and we saw how well that went the first time around.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM ]
No they won't. They should get some WR's. But they won't when they figure out how much the cost on the open market.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No they won't. They should get some WR's. But they won't when they figure out how much the cost on the open market.

I just don't see Baalke dropping 9, 10...or 11 mil per year on a guy like Wallace when this team is lacking in depth in several areas as it is.
Sadly SD, that is what i ended up with. Man i could just see bowe...or wallace/jackson/colston...out there. Just a dream. And phoenix put a fine point on it by adding up what we won' t have left after buying back our guys...rogers, goldson et al. Shucks. Ahh, at least we aren't in pisssburghs shoes. The barrows article on the way B&H go thru the want list up to a certain $$ amt, then go to choice #2 if first choice gets to pricey, is EXACTLY the way to NOT end up like pisstburg. Have to admit I love their approach, and it landed us Rogers last yr when most of us wanted Namndi and all the other big names that went to Eagles....where Philly promptly laid expensive golden turbds.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Sadly SD, that is what i ended up with. Man i could just see bowe...or wallace/jackson/colston...out there. Just a dream. And phoenix put a fine point on it by adding up what we won' t have left after buying back our guys...rogers, goldson et al. Shucks. Ahh, at least we aren't in pisssburghs shoes. The barrows article on the way B&H go thru the want list up to a certain $$ amt, then go to choice #2 if first choice gets to pricey, is EXACTLY the way to NOT end up like pisstburg. Have to admit I love their approach, and it landed us Rogers last yr when most of us wanted Namndi and all the other big names that went to Eagles....where Philly promptly laid expensive golden turbds.

Worst case scenario? The Patriots with 2 1st rounders sign Mike Wallace in exchange for the 31st pick in the draft.

Brady+Wallace+Gronkowski+Hernandez=FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
If we've learned anything about Baalke and Co is that they are expert bargin basement hunters. They dont make a splash the first week of FA. They let the Redskins of the world waste their money and then they he go in for the kill on a very talented, reasonably priced FA. Its a formula that he's used and a formula that works. There is no reason to think he'll change it midstream. If anything, we might pay a little extra to keep our own guys.

P.S. And dont be suprised if there is an pretty big name FA WR or two that is still hanging around a week or so after FA begins. The Zone always over estimates the value of the available talent (Myself included).
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
yeah, Val, i had read that and that is what made me think about $$ and keeping craps. Based on that, I don't see us getting bowe, Vince Jackson, Colston, we don't want meme me De Sean jackson, so...it seemed that we would end up not getting a top tier #1 and would end up pretty much like niner4life's Meacham/ Fleener. Something like that, yeah, i can see us keeping craps. But if we were to get so lucky to get bowe, no way do i see craps staying around after that purchase. It just didn't add up $$ wise, and that was the entire point of the question...altho i muffed it. Thanks to you guys for straightening it out. This makes sense, $$ wise and talent wise. With those two hands guys, altho one is a TE, it seems doable. The hard part is to realize that if we keep craps we aren't going to get bowe.
Darn it.

Crabtree is only making 4-5 million dollars per year though. I don't know where you guys get this idea that we have a lot of money tied up in the position. We have 2 recievers currently signed and about 6 million dollars invested at the position. That's nothing. There's going to be some changes there.
I hope trent calls up Meachems agent day 1