There are 171 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
We will sign Morgan and draft a nice raw talent. We already proved we don't need a high priced WR to win games. We just need our guys to be healthy and have more talent at the #4 and #5 spots...not like most teams do...but I guess it is ideal to not have a Brett Swain as the #3 receiver...like GB didn't...

fixed, because that is how it ended up.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I'd Jizz myself if we landed Colston and drafted Stephen Hill

I don't think Colston would work for us. He is a product of that offense and QB. Colston has been the #1 WR on his team since he has been there yet he only has 1 double digit TD season and avg barely over 1000 yards per. We need a burner to stretch the D. I would like DJack or Bowe.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I would love to see these things happen:

1. Bring back Morgan. I think he will be cheap to re-sign, possibly to a 1-year deal. It would give him a chance to bounce back from injury and test free agency again next year.

2. Go after Robert Meachem or Mario Manningham. We don't need to break the bank for a receiver, and I think we would get the best bang for our buck with one of these guys. Manningham should get a nice deal, but nothing crazy.

3. Draft a WR somewhere in rounds 1-3. This should be a guy who has the raw talent to develop into a #1.

4. If we lose Ginn, target a late-round WR with return ability.

My issue is this, if they're going to go out and get a free agent, get something better than they already have. Manningham is your stereotypical #3 WR, how does he improve this offense, he's simply going to be another guy to get locked down by a CB. Keep in mind that a lot of the time, the 49ers are only playing with 2 WR's on the field, so is Manningham that big of an improvement over Morgan to justify the additional salary? I don't think so. They're basically the same size, same speed.....etc.

If they are going to go out and sign a free agent WR, it shouldn't be done just for the hell of it, it should be to sign someone who brings something unique to the table.

I guess I just have a higher opinion of Manningham than others. He is much better at creating seperation than any of our WR's, he possesses big play ability downfield, and can create after the catch. He is a better player than Morgan. Morgan is 1 inch taller and about 30 lbs heavier so they are not the same size, speed. Injuries hurt his production this year, but in 2010 he had 60 catches for 900+ yards. He hasn't hit his ceiling yet. He is a talented young player with room to grow at a position of need.
I would love to see these things happen:

1. Bring back Morgan. I think he will be cheap to re-sign, possibly to a 1-year deal. It would give him a chance to bounce back from injury and test free agency again next year.

2. Go after Robert Meachem or Mario Manningham. We don't need to break the bank for a receiver, and I think we would get the best bang for our buck with one of these guys. Manningham should get a nice deal, but nothing crazy.

3. Draft a WR somewhere in rounds 1-3. This should be a guy who has the raw talent to develop into a #1.

4. If we lose Ginn, target a late-round WR with return ability.

My issue is this, if they're going to go out and get a free agent, get something better than they already have. Manningham is your stereotypical #3 WR, how does he improve this offense, he's simply going to be another guy to get locked down by a CB. Keep in mind that a lot of the time, the 49ers are only playing with 2 WR's on the field, so is Manningham that big of an improvement over Morgan to justify the additional salary? I don't think so. They're basically the same size, same speed.....etc.

If they are going to go out and sign a free agent WR, it shouldn't be done just for the hell of it, it should be to sign someone who brings something unique to the table.

I guess I just have a higher opinion of Manningham than others. He is much better at creating seperation than any of our WR's, he possesses big play ability downfield, and can create after the catch. He is a better player than Morgan. Morgan is 1 inch taller and about 30 lbs heavier so they are not the same size, speed. Injuries hurt his production this year, but in 2010 he had 60 catches for 900+ yards. He hasn't hit his ceiling yet. He is a talented young player with room to grow at a position of need.

This. Manningham is way better than Morgan. 2010 he had 940 yards and 9 TD's while only starting 8 games and in 2009 he had over 800 yards. VJax is my first choice but if we cant get him or Bowe Id love to get Manningham.
I guess I just have a higher opinion of Manningham than others. He is much better at creating seperation than any of our WR's, he possesses big play ability downfield, and can create after the catch. He is a better player than Morgan. Morgan is 1 inch taller and about 30 lbs heavier so they are not the same size, speed. Injuries hurt his production this year, but in 2010 he had 60 catches for 900+ yards. He hasn't hit his ceiling yet. He is a talented young player.

See-Product of the system.

Manningham is going to get overpaid, go somewhere else, be mediocre, people are going to realize he's really not that good. Steve Smith was a 1000 yard receiver with the Giants, he went to the Eagles and even when he was healthy he did jack s**t. Not buying it, sorry. How many WR's and RB's have walked away from the Giants over the past few years and looked like garbage elsewhere?
Vincent Jackson: big WR who can get separation and has good hands.......all the things our WRs are lacking.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Vincent Jackson: big WR who can get separation and has good hands.......all the things our WRs are lacking.

Vincent Jackson-30, head case, going to be ultra expensive.

Pass.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Schefter knows zilch.

He is just guessing like the rest of us.

I don't necessarily think he's wrong, but he doesn't have any insider info on this one.

I agree. I've seen so many bad reports on multiple teams this offseason it's ridiculous. They just need something to report on, so they fill the airwaves or print media with speculation.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I agree. I've seen so many bad reports on multiple teams this offseason it's ridiculous. They just need something to report on, so they fill the airwaves or print media with speculation.

"You Rang????????????"
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Schefter knows zilch.

I don't necessarily think he's wrong, but he doesn't have any insider info on this one.
LOL I agree. You know the Patriots were ranked 31st in the NFL last year. I feel they will try to sign or draft at least one defensive player to help their situation. Not sure if I was vague enough for ESPN though.

I hope we don't end up with another Rashaun Woods...
Originally posted by sacninesixteen:
I hope we don't end up with another Rashaun Woods...

Why do you want another possession receiver????
Originally posted by dwett:
Schefter knows zilch.

LOL I agree. You know the Patriots were ranked 31st in the NFL last year. I feel they will try to sign or draft at least one defensive player to help their situation. Not sure if I was vague enough for ESPN though.

I have inside information that pittsburg will be targeting either an O-lineman or RB in the first, and the colts will be considering the possibility of drafting a QB and letting Peyton go if he doesnt wanna give up his bonus thats due this year. Cuuuurrrraaaaaazzzeeeeyyy!
lol a rookie picked 30th overall or later is a top reciever?

and Josh Morgan is the free agent receiver.

But yeah...most top receivers are picked 30th or later.......this draft has tons of depth at WR so they should be able to find a guy with good potential somewhere in the draft. After last year's draft, I think some trust in these guys is deserved. There's some terrific looking guys, especially in the later rounds, Streeter, Hill, McNutt, Quick.....lots of talent to be had beyond the 1st round.

Also Schefter never said "top receivers".....he just said WR's...period.

Originally posted by Squidp:
Meachem and Randle!!

Originally posted by Squidp:
Meachem and Randle!!

Take Meachem, hold the Randle, take Streeter or McNutt in the 2nd or 3rd round.

How about Vincent Jackson and Brian Quick?
Share 49ersWebzone