LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Recall, if Bogan makes the roster, he's locked up through 2013.

I really wouldn't count on a guy coming off a major injury who wasn't all that in the first place. My ideal WR corps for next season would look like the following

WR
#1-Pierre Garcon
#2 Michael Crabtree
#3 Josh Morgan
#4 Stephen Hill/Tommy Streeter/McNutt
#5 Kyle Williams

TE
#1-Vernon Davis
#2-Coby Fleener/Ladarius Green
#3-Delanie Walker

If Alex can't produce with those targets, then it's CK7 time in 2013.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
9ers lifer has made a couple points that are worthy of discussing, and I agree that craps is going to end up elsewhere, and we are going to try and package him with our 2nd or possibly first pick for either a run at blackmon, or another top tier , but lesser quality than blakmon. Also I agree we are going to bring in a #1WR in FA, and that means with craps we have two #1s, so $$wise that won't fly. Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Colston, williams(steelers) are all possibles. But if we bring one of those guys in, no way are baalke et al going to be paying craps #1money, hence, I believe, his time here is coming to a close. Craps has played up to a #4 or #5 WR, not a #1. I have posted elsewhere the why of this, but basically, he just ain;t worth #1 money as a WR. Bringing in a FA will require #1 money, hence adios Craps. I differ with 9erslifer in that i think we do keep morgan, as he is a #3 or maybe #4 anyway. Kyle and ginn can be the #5. But we need that FA as #1WR, and #2 from the draft. Best bet of doing that is to package craps and our #2 pick, for a hi draft WR maybe even #1, just to unload craps so we can pay our FA #1 money.. Do the math and bringing in a FA #1 means craps either takes an 80% paycut, or he gets gone. No way he takes a paycut. It's a tough world when you think you should be paid way more than you are worth. Craps is about to find that out. We'll know soon enough, once FA begins.But once we sign a FA as #1, adios craps.
I didn't say get rid of Morgan. I think he stays. He's been our most consistant WR, minus the injuries.
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
lulz
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I really wouldn't count on a guy coming off a major injury who wasn't all that in the first place. My ideal WR corps for next season would look like the following

WR
#1-Pierre Garcon
#2 Michael Crabtree
#3 Josh Morgan
#4 Stephen Hill/Tommy Streeter/McNutt
#5 Kyle Williams

TE
#1-Vernon Davis
#2-Coby Fleener/Ladarius Green
#3-Delanie Walker

If Alex can't produce with those targets, then it's CK7 time in 2013.
I think that would be a reasonable offseason collection of players. I also think that Alex Smith has proven that he can produce as he did in 2011. I think with dependable receivers and another TE he can produce in 2012 as well. Alex Smith played as well as Eli Manning in the championship game. The difference was a turnover in our end of the field in OT. It was not a great play by Manning that beat us. IT was a fumble at the most inopportune time. But that is football.

I think Fleener/Green will be a wonderful addition, especially if they have good hands.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I think that would be a reasonable offseason collection of players. I also think that Alex Smith has proven that he can produce as he did in 2011. I think with dependable receivers and another TE he can produce in 2012 as well. Alex Smith played as well as Eli Manning in the championship game. The difference was a turnover in our end of the field in OT. It was not a great play by Manning that beat us. IT was a fumble at the most inopportune time. But that is football.

I think Fleener/Green will be a wonderful addition, especially if they have good hands.

Both do. Fleener is more ready to play and he's familiar with Harbaugh's system, playing in the same kind of offense in college under Harbaugh and staff. He runs the best/most precise routes of any tight-end that has come out of the draft in the past few years and that includes Gronkowski. Green is much more raw, comes from a smaller program but is a great leaper, has good hands, his biggest weakness is in terms of blocking, at this point he's basically a very big, slightly slower WR although with the coaching staff the 49ers have, I'm sure he could become a much better blocker over time.

My whole thought process on adding another tight-end is strictly to open up the passing game in the red-zone. If all else fails, let Alex throw it up high and give one of these guys a chance to go up and get it, sort of like the role that was envisioned with Edwards but didn't quite work out so well. Alex seems to enjoy throwing to his tight-ends, so give him one more big, strong physical threat to make his life easier and make defense's lives miserable.

On the outside you can have Garcon and Crabtree with Garcon being a passable deep threat. In addition you also would have Morgan and a tall, strong rookie WR in Streeter/Hill to further open up the offense.

Like I said, if he can't get it done with those weapons, he can't get it done period. Additionally putting that offense together would be minimally expensive and would be pretty realistic in terms of draft position...etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
in that case every year will be a severe disappointment lol

Not really, this year was a great success, especially with no real offseason. I think Baalke's approach is an intelligent one and its typically how winning teams operate. The Redskins have gone out and gotten "THE BIGGEST FREE AGENT ON THE MARKET" for like a decade now, how many titles have they won? Meanwhile teams like the Giants, the Packers, the Patriots and the Steelers build from within and continue to be among the most successful franchises in football.

You don't become a winning team by blowing a ton of money on other team's over-priced free agents.

no no no no no, this year was awesome! by no means am i saying it was a disappointment, i mean it was disappointing losing knowing we could have/should have beat the giants, and im really confident that we could have beat the pats too. my thinking is that we just need to upgrade the offense. i know this team will be better next year. harbs will have a whole offseason with smith (if he really resigns) and installing the system and fully developing players. also the players will have the first year in forever with the same exact offense, and getting in to the more elaborate schemes.

its just look at it... we got that far with those players at the skill positions. imagine what happens with better players. you cant seriously tell me that crabtree and morgan are better than the FA's that are likely to be available. im not saying vjax or bowe or anyone that compromises the cap like the redskins insanity. just bring in players that are better than joe hastings and brett swain lol for better depth, and draft some guys to become starters too. you dont draft for depth, you draft to replace starters, by bringing in better talent.
I hope this staff really does go out and get a top FA and then draft someone high. It would show me they know where the weaknesses are and are willing to fix it. Previous regimes would have said well we have a hole at WR or OL... let's just hope our guys get better or maybe someone off the PS will emerge. We are too close to wait for anybody. I love this staff I just hope they aren't so loyal (great quality at times) that they ignore needs because they are so dead set on our players improving. I.E. Singletary with the OL situation... then with punt returners. He never fixed it, just thought guys would get better.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM ]
This is groundbreaking. How could Schefter have found this out?
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Meachem and Randle!!

Take Meachem, hold the Randle, take Streeter or McNutt in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I want Meachem, then Fleener and Hill in the draft!

No, you don't want Meachem.
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
no no no no no, this year was awesome! by no means am i saying it was a disappointment, i mean it was disappointing losing knowing we could have/should have beat the giants, and im really confident that we could have beat the pats too. my thinking is that we just need to upgrade the offense. i know this team will be better next year. harbs will have a whole offseason with smith (if he really resigns) and installing the system and fully developing players. also the players will have the first year in forever with the same exact offense, and getting in to the more elaborate schemes.

its just look at it... we got that far with those players at the skill positions. imagine what happens with better players. you cant seriously tell me that crabtree and morgan are better than the FA's that are likely to be available. im not saying vjax or bowe or anyone that compromises the cap like the redskins insanity. just bring in players that are better than joe hastings and brett swain lol for better depth, and draft some guys to become starters too. you dont draft for depth, you draft to replace starters, by bringing in better talent.

49ers essentially need 1-2 WR's, either through the draft or through free agency, that's it, especially when you consider how often they run 2 TE formations, 3 TE formations.....etc.

I'd LOVE to see Garcon in a 49ers uniform, he is one of the younger free agent WR's and doesn't have injury concerns like Colston or head concerns like Jackson(both of them).

Additionally, anything else that can help in the red-zone, hell I'd be okay with another RB if he was a bulldozer type that could straight maul people, the role Dixon can't handle because on the inside he's 5'8" and 170. A big TE to target on passes in the end-zone or down the middle of the field, a fast, burner-type WR in the draft, the kind of guy the Raiders usually look for, someone that can explode down field, stretch the defense and has the hands to make plays.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]

If KC doesn't franchise him, get
good atleast i know they know that reciever was their biggest issue.
I just dont see it happening. To echo what Tierney and Davis said yesterday on their show......

"If you are a top FA WR, would you want to go to a team that is a run heavy offense with Alex Smith as the QB?"

Im not saying the answer is going to be a resounding NO for most WRs....but it is definitely a question that they will all ask themselves.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Meachem and Randle!!

This
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I just dont see it happening. To echo what Tierney and Davis said yesterday on their show......

"If you are a top FA WR, would you want to go to a team that is a run heavy offense with Alex Smith as the QB?"

Im not saying the answer is going to be a resounding NO for most WRs....but it is definitely a question that they will all ask themselves.

True, but I guess it depends on if you want a chance to win a championship or not. Plus Bowe would have to factor in his QB is Orton or Cassell and he has a defensive minded HC in Romeo who's failed already as a HC. Don't get me wrong though they have a lot of talent. Still if they have 60 million in cap or whatever it is no way they don't sign him or Carr to a huge overpaid deal and then at least franchise the other one.

Then you got Manningham who yes can stay and have a chance at another SB but does he really want to play 3rd fiddle to Nicks and Cruz or come here and be a #1 or 2?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone