LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I hope Shefty (Shefter) is right. Who says we are looking for draftees to supplant Crabs & Morgan. Neither is a number one WR, and thats what we need. The only one that needs to be "supplanted" is Crabs. Morgan is our solid #2. A WR FA and high pick at WR (1st) fills the hole at WR. Now I know thats not what the draft-Fleener-in-the-first crowd don't want to hear,or see the front office do, but it's what this team needs. We need WR's - in FA and the draft. If some haven't realized this by now this IS the NFL we are talking about. So "one good WR" won't take us deeper in the playoffs, much less win us a SB.

This team was one Kyle Williams screw-up away from the Super Bowl. This never will be a high-octane passing offense. You sign a 2nd or 3rd tier WR, a guy like Garcon becomes an immediate contributor, then you draft a raw project type guy like Hill or Streeter to develop into a #1 receiver over time and call it a day. You can still add a #2 TE as a weapon in the red-zone, a 3rd 3-4 DE so there can be some sort of rotation to keep guys fresh, more depth at CB, more help at safety....offensive guard....etc.

My ideal draft would be something like the following, and while I'd love to have Fleener, I'm starting to think he will already be gone by the time the 49ers 1st pick comes around since he's expected to run somewhere in the 4.5 range, which would be brutal for a 6-6 TE to do.

Round 1-CB/OLB-Need depth at both positions, might need a starter if Brooks walks
Round 2-3-4 DE-Need someone else to throw into the rotation, a guy with a non-stop motor who plays his ass off
Round 3-WR-Streeter, Hill, McNutt, one of these guys will be available, all have good size and potential
Round 4-TE-Best/biggest receiving TE/red-zone threat that's available at this point
Round 5-OG-More depth along the offensive line
Round 6-WR-Another receiver to develop, maybe a guy like Derek Moye of PSU
Round 7-RB-A big bowling ball of a RB to replace Dixon.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
*Expected* is the key word. This isn't breaking news, its just speculative melodrama that is common sense at this point.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
maybe do the Bill Walsh 1981 draft--instead of 3 secondary guys draft 3 WR's.

Why on earth would you do that when you're entire secondary was nominated to the Pro Bowl or at least an alternate.? That's smart then we could have Brett Swain and Kyle Williams playing some more

HE's sayin use BW's draft strategy of stocking up at one position or area. BW did it with Secondary, he's saying do it with WR's for this team....
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 1swift:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Why on earth would you do that when you're entire secondary was nominated to the Pro Bowl or at least an alternate.? That's smart then we could have Brett Swain and Kyle Williams playing some more

HE's sayin use BW's draft strategy of stocking up at one position or area. BW did it with Secondary, he's saying do it with WR's for this team....

lmao thank you for the clarication. I predict an FA signing(meachem more then likely), re-signing Morgan, letting ginn walk, drafting a high receiver(round 1 -3) and having Dontavia Bogan compete against Kyle Williams for the 5th spot.

Crabtree
Morgan
Meachem
Rookie
Bogan/Williams
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM ]
Round 1-CB/OLB-Need depth at both positions, might need a starter if Brooks walks
Round 2-3-4 DE-Need someone else to throw into the rotation, a guy with a non-stop motor who plays his ass off
Round 3-WR-Streeter, Hill, McNutt, one of these guys will be available, all have good size and potential
Round 4-TE-Best/biggest receiving TE/red-zone threat that's available at this point
@Phoenix49ers
My only problem with the above is that you don't pick for depth in the first round. I wouldn't mind seeing us go CB/OLB in the first (but I would prefer a WR in that spot), but not to sit on the bench. By year two - at the latest - fisrt rounders are starters, unless they are busts. And not for a minute did I think that Fleener would be available at pick 30.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for 305Niner.
I heard we were supposed to the WR from Rutgers in the draft. Don't know his name though.
9ers lifer has made a couple points that are worthy of discussing, and I agree that craps is going to end up elsewhere, and we are going to try and package him with our 2nd or possibly first pick for either a run at blackmon, or another top tier , but lesser quality than blakmon. Also I agree we are going to bring in a #1WR in FA, and that means with craps we have two #1s, so $$wise that won't fly. Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Colston, williams(steelers) are all possibles. But if we bring one of those guys in, no way are baalke et al going to be paying craps #1money, hence, I believe, his time here is coming to a close. Craps has played up to a #4 or #5 WR, not a #1. I have posted elsewhere the why of this, but basically, he just ain;t worth #1 money as a WR. Bringing in a FA will require #1 money, hence adios Craps. I differ with 9erslifer in that i think we do keep morgan, as he is a #3 or maybe #4 anyway. Kyle and ginn can be the #5. But we need that FA as #1WR, and #2 from the draft. Best bet of doing that is to package craps and our #2 pick, for a hi draft WR maybe even #1, just to unload craps so we can pay our FA #1 money.. Do the math and bringing in a FA #1 means craps either takes an 80% paycut, or he gets gone. No way he takes a paycut. It's a tough world when you think you should be paid way more than you are worth. Craps is about to find that out. We'll know soon enough, once FA begins.But once we sign a FA as #1, adios craps.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
9ers lifer has made a couple points that are worthy of discussing, and I agree that craps is going to end up elsewhere, and we are going to try and package him with our 2nd or possibly first pick for either a run at blackmon, or another top tier , but lesser quality than blakmon. Also I agree we are going to bring in a #1WR in FA, and that means with craps we have two #1s, so $$wise that won't fly. Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Colston, williams(steelers) are all possibles. But if we bring one of those guys in, no way are baalke et al going to be paying craps #1money, hence, I believe, his time here is coming to a close. Craps has played up to a #4 or #5 WR, not a #1. I have posted elsewhere the why of this, but basically, he just ain;t worth #1 money as a WR. Bringing in a FA will require #1 money, hence adios Craps. I differ with 9erslifer in that i think we do keep morgan, as he is a #3 or maybe #4 anyway. Kyle and ginn can be the #5. But we need that FA as #1WR, and #2 from the draft. Best bet of doing that is to package craps and our #2 pick, for a hi draft WR maybe even #1, just to unload craps so we can pay our FA #1 money.. Do the math and bringing in a FA #1 means craps either takes an 80% paycut, or he gets gone. No way he takes a paycut. It's a tough world when you think you should be paid way more than you are worth. Craps is about to find that out. We'll know soon enough, once FA begins.But once we sign a FA as #1, adios craps.
For goodness sakes don't hold your breath expecting the 49ers to make a huge free agency splash by signing an expensive free agent WR, it's not going to happen. I think Crabtree has a definite future with this team, they simply need to add another playmaker to play opposite him, a guy like Garcon would be ideal because he wouldn't be prohibitively expensive and he's got decent down the field speed.

In anycase, based on what Baalke has shown in the past, anyone who is hoping for a huge free agent to be brought in...is going to end up severely disappointed. This team will continue to build via under-valued, low salary players and draft picks.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
@Phoenix49ers
My only problem with the above is that you don't pick for depth in the first round. I wouldn't mind seeing us go CB/OLB in the first (but I would prefer a WR in that spot), but not to sit on the bench. By year two - at the latest - fisrt rounders are starters, unless they are busts. And not for a minute did I think that Fleener would be available at pick 30.

If Brooks walks you're not drafting for depth. As far as CB, even if Rogers is brought back, he's still 31 and if there's a top CB available, I'd jump on that player, if anything else it protects you from injuries, could you imagine Brock starting for 3 or 4 games or more? Defense is this team's bread and butter, the people suggesting them adding 3 or 4 more wide receivers are being absolutely absurd. This team runs out of the 2 TE set enough that adding a bunch of extra WR's will result in guys sitting on their asses, getting splinters.

The way I look at it, one solid, good value free agent WR and 1 high-ceiling draft pick fill out the WR corps. Now you continue to build upon what got you to the NFC Championship and that was your defense.

The 49ers were EXTREMELY lucky as far as injuries went this year. No major injuries to guys like Justin Smith, Rogers or Goldson, luckily when Willis went out, Grant stepped up and made plays. Instead of turning into the Ravens and obsessing about offense, this team needs to continue to improve its strengths while steadily building up the offense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM ]

Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

Crabtree - Morgan - 1st - 2nd - 3rd

lol

thats a recipe for the same offense we had this year........i say 1st - 2nd - crabtree - 3rd - morgan. lets just change it up and see what happens. not like they could do any worse lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
For goodness sakes don't hold your breath expecting the 49ers to make a huge free agency splash by signing an expensive free agent WR, it's not going to happen. I think Crabtree has a definite future with this team, they simply need to add another playmaker to play opposite him, a guy like Garcon would be ideal because he wouldn't be prohibitively expensive and he's got decent down the field speed.

In anycase, based on what Baalke has shown in the past, anyone who is hoping for a huge free agent to be brought in...is going to end up severely disappointed. This team will continue to build via under-valued, low salary players and draft picks.

in that case every year will be a severe disappointment lol
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
in that case every year will be a severe disappointment lol

Not really, this year was a great success, especially with no real offseason. I think Baalke's approach is an intelligent one and its typically how winning teams operate. The Redskins have gone out and gotten "THE BIGGEST FREE AGENT ON THE MARKET" for like a decade now, how many titles have they won? Meanwhile teams like the Giants, the Packers, the Patriots and the Steelers build from within and continue to be among the most successful franchises in football.

You don't become a winning team by blowing a ton of money on other team's over-priced free agents.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
9ers lifer has made a couple points that are worthy of discussing, and (1)I agree that craps is going to end up elsewhere, and we are going to try and package him with our 2nd or possibly first pick for either a run at blackmon, or another top tier , but lesser quality than blakmon. Also I agree we are going to bring in a #1WR in FA, and that means with craps we have two #1s, so $$wise that won't fly. Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Colston, (2)williams(steelers) are all possibles. But if we bring one of those guys in, no way are baalke et al going to be paying craps #1money, hence, I believe, his time here is coming to a close. Craps has played up to a #4 or #5 WR, not a #1. I have posted elsewhere the why of this, but basically, he just ain;t worth #1 money as a WR. Bringing in a FA will require #1 money, hence adios Craps. I differ with 9erslifer in that i think we do keep morgan, as he is a #3 or maybe #4 anyway. Kyle and ginn can be the #5. But we need that FA as #1WR, and #2 from the draft. Best bet of doing that is to package craps and our #2 pick, for a hi draft WR maybe even #1, just to unload craps so we can pay our FA #1 money.. Do the math and bringing in a FA #1 means craps either takes an 80% paycut, or he gets gone. No way he takes a paycut. It's a tough world when you think you should be paid way more than you are worth. Craps is about to find that out. We'll know soon enough, once FA begins.But once we sign a FA as #1, adios craps.

1. After a decent season I could see it happening but the fact that he disappeared after the first quarter in the Saints game could really scare off some potential trade partners. To land Blackmon without risk we would have to trade all the way up to #6 with Washington in order to leapfrog Jacksonville(the most wr hungry team in the league), Carolina(steve smith is all they have), Buffalo(if they lose Stevie). I'm not sure what value Crabtree has in terms of the point system but we'd be getting ourselves into a Julio Jones trade if not more expensive because we are later in the round then the Falcon were last year and the Falcons moved up to #6 to get jones.

Floyd could probably be had around the #10 pick maybe the low teens but I'm legitimately worried that one of the teams I mentioned above will grab Floyd right after Blackmon is taken or a team from high teens will try and trade up for him.

2. You mean Mike Wallace, not Williams, but yes at this point in his development if the Steelers did not franchise him I would gladly pay a #1 pick for Wallace if he is tendered. He deserves the big money contract that Crabtree is eating up for next 3 years(2012: 3.5M 2013: 4.5M 2014: 3.5). Crabtree is lucky those numbers are below $5M or I would seriously think people would start clamoring for the 9ers to cut or trade him if he doesn't improve.

----

My take.

#5 WR - I think Kyle Williams will be in a camp competition against Bogan. If Williams loses he gets cut, if Bogan loses he probably ends up on the practice squad to keep KW motivated and ready to take over should KW screw up.

#4 WR - I would be content with Ginn at #4 but I think we should let him walk if he is asking any kind of a pay rise. I posted in the Dontavia Bogan thread that he was a monster in the KR area in college. If he is capable of doing the same with punts then I would be much more in favor of the idea of using Bogan as the KR/PR guy. Draft choices to offset letting Ginn walk are: Eric Page, TJ Graham, TY Hilton. I'd rather spend little on a late round draft pick or Bogan and see what they can bring to the table in terms of receiving, they dont have to do much to improve off of Ginn's WR performace.

#3 WR - Josh Morgan is probably the best receiver for this role, a capable slot receiver but also a somewhat reliable deep threat. No reason to change his role at this point. Although he could become the #2 if things play out a certain way. If for some unknown reason we lost Morgan I would immediately focus our attention to Robert Meachem.

#2 WR - This will be Crabtree if sign a big name guy like Vincent Jackson, but if we draft a rookie in rounds 1 - 3 I would still reluctantly consider Crabtree the "#1 receiver". Reliable rookie options at this point: Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill, Brian Quick.

#1 WR - This will be the only way we venture into the FA market is for a true, battle tested #1. Mike Wallace would get my vote if he is only tendered and not franchised. I'd gladly trade our #1 pick for a known commodity and as I mentioned above we could trade crabtree and give that money to Wallace in a new deal and draft a guy like Stephen Hill or Brian Quick to rotate with Josh Morgan as he develops. I am not okay with the idea of spending a massive amount of money and a 5 or 6 year contract on a receiver like Colston or VJAX when they'll hit 30 this season(Jackson) or next(Colston). VJAX is a tremendous talent but I would rather get a guy like Mike Wallace or Steve Johnson who still has room to grow and are still young, 25 and 26 respectively.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM ]
Recall, if Bogan makes the roster, he's locked up through 2013.
Share 49ersWebzone