There are 241 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Meh, would rather keep the 1st rounder and sign Garcon instead. Garcon's the same age as Wallace and had 900+ yards receiving with a garbage quarterback this year. As a bonus he'll be cheaper.

If you trade a 1st for Wallace and that 1st becomes a guy like Konz, who say goes on to be the best center in football, or Fleener who ends up as the next Gronkowski, you're not going to look back and think "wow, we really did get great value."

Wallace is the better player over Garcon, but not a whole 1st round pick better.

at the same time it could also be a reshaun woods, you never know, its a gamble, and to get a sure thing like wallace, you know what your getting.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
at the same time it could also be a reshaun woods, you never know, its a gamble, and to get a sure thing like wallace, you know what your getting.

Yeah, but the same goes with Garcon. He's a solid contributor, he's improved every single year of his career yet he's still only 25, has good speed, decent deep threat, will be affordable and will allow the 49ers to utilize that 1st rounder towards something else, like an OLB if Brooks walks, or another CB, or a TE like Fleener.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I just dont see it happening. To echo what Tierney and Davis said yesterday on their show......

"If you are a top FA WR, would you want to go to a team that is a run heavy offense with Alex Smith as the QB?"

Im not saying the answer is going to be a resounding NO for most WRs....but it is definitely a question that they will all ask themselves.
Once again, the local one trick pony arrives just on time.

"Run heavy offense" may or may not be an issue. The problem with the offense this year was the lack of WRs (stating the obvious). Hence, a player like Garcon, who became frustrated with the failure last season, may see the opportunity to come here and become the piece that makes the offense more balanced AND an odds-on SB contender. Having an offensive-minded NFL Coach of the Year HC AND a winning record is a big draw for a receiver.

Once again, the blatant name calling is unnecessary. Just because you have been here longer than me doesnt mean you can regularly talk down to me.

ESPECIALLY in this instance, where I didnt even really post an opinion.....but rather passed along a statement made by our OWN color commentator. You are too much.

You never seem to miss an opportunity to express negative feelings about Alex Smith whether it is in the Alex Smith thread or otherwise. It is your pet subject.

We all know that Smith, as good as he was last season, has not yet justified his draft position. We also, most of us anyway, also recognize the integral nature of the QB/WR relationship. Improve one you improve the other. Works both ways. The QB play improved dramatically last season but the WR play was lackluster to say the least. Shefter and others have recognized it. Time to fix that. Most players, and their agents, will see the opportunity here. Where else will a decent WR go with a similar opportunity to get to the SB?

The Giants, NO and GB are loaded with WRs. Atlanta is set. Pittsburgh has quality. So does Baltimore. Dallas might have an opening but the defense is not good. Houston starts with Johnson. Detroit is full. Where is a Mike Wallace going to go if he leaves Pittsburgh and wants to go to a winner?
[i] give Mike Wallace a Heavy front loaded deal....steelers can't match and we give the steelers our 30 th pick and live happily ever after! WHY NOT? Wallace is the real deal!
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
[i] give Mike Wallace a Heavy front loaded deal....steelers can't match and we give the steelers our 30 th pick and live happily ever after! WHY NOT? Wallace is the real deal!

The real deal like Ryan Mallett
This would also help out brother john ravens won't have to play against wallace!
Ryan Mallett hasn't had a chance to play
[ Edited by CRABTREE on Feb 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM ]
Maybe mallett isn't good,who knows? Sure looked good at the combine
Who would you rather have a rookie wr or Mike Wallace who can run a 4.3 and has proven himself already...
Ryan Mallett hasn't had a chance to play lets see how it plays out b4 saying he's not he's not going to beat out the best qb on the planet right now..I think Patriots kinda know what their doing ....5 superbowls in 10 years

thought they had 4

I want them to try for 3 WRs. 1 in FA. 2 in the draft, early and late round. And another one in un-drafted FA. Bring in guys from the Canadian league for a try out. We freak'n need to convert those 3rd downs that we've missed all year.
Who would you rather have a rookie wr or Mike Wallace who can run a 4.3 and has proven himself already...

Wallace still has to sign a contract, he has to want to come to SF in the first place. That's a big IF....especially leaving Big Ben to play with Alex Smith.
This would also help out brother john ravens won't have to play against wallace!

lol
Oh I agree 100 % look at plaxico he got all the way to the airport here and the jets called him to go there....i'm hoping that makin it to the nfc championship would help get somebody...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Wallace still has to sign a contract, he has to want to come to SF in the first place. That's a big IF....especially leaving Big Ben to play with Alex Smith.

Yeah I'm a fan of Alex and think he can go toe to toe with a lot of these top QBs(just look at the game vs Brees) but Ben is more prolific, Pittsburgh throws more than we do, and Wallace might not want to take a drop in stats. Then again we need a #1 WR so he might get a lot of balls though.
Share 49ersWebzone