There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Possible benefit of not winning the SB this year

downvote
Sorry for the thread everyone.
I see both sides of this. We have several key FA to sign, and every single one would cost more if we had won it all. We'd have a much bigger target on our backs as SB champs. And we'd also be more likely to think that we could stay the same and win it all (from a player hunger and player acquisition standpoint).

The OP was trying to say that there are things about not being champs but having the confidence that can be if you can perform slightly better than last year may benefit this team going forward. That doesn't mean he or any other Niner fan didn't want to win it all BADLY last year. Personally, I was miserable for over a week after the NFCC, and then again watching the SB. Because there is no guarantee that we will even be good next year! And so there was a huge part of me that thinks that despite of how surprising this year was, you have to get em' when you can get em'. Last year was a GREAT opportunity - that should not be forgotten and we should not celebrate losing when we were so close. But that is not the OP's point, and that is pretty easy to see reading his post.

Our schedule looks very tough next year, and besides some bad luck in the playoffs at the WR position, our key players stayed very healthy last year. This is not likely to happen again next year. But I can see how people may think we'll be more focused mentally and Trent and Jim are likely to make more level headed personnel decisions without the SB hangover. Would anyone trade a ring for the relatively small advantage being a little hungrier would provide this year? HELL NO! But I do believe we will be a little better in 2012 than we would have been had we won it all last year.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bpg4980:
I see both sides of this. We have several key FA to sign, and every single one would cost more if we had won it all. We'd have a much bigger target on our backs as SB champs. And we'd also be more likely to think that we could stay the same and win it all (from a player hunger and player acquisition standpoint).

The OP was trying to say that there are things about not being champs but having the confidence that can be if you can perform slightly better than last year may benefit this team going forward. That doesn't mean he or any other Niner fan didn't want to win it all BADLY last year. Personally, I was miserable for over a week after the NFCC, and then again watching the SB. Because there is no guarantee that we will even be good next year! And so there was a huge part of me that thinks that despite of how surprising this year was, you have to get em' when you can get em'. Last year was a GREAT opportunity - that should not be forgotten and we should not celebrate losing when we were so close. But that is not the OP's point, and that is pretty easy to see reading his post.

Our schedule looks very tough next year, and besides some bad luck in the playoffs at the WR position, our key players stayed very healthy last year. This is not likely to happen again next year. But I can see how people may think we'll be more focused mentally and Trent and Jim are likely to make more level headed personnel decisions without the SB hangover. Would anyone trade a ring for the relatively small advantage being a little hungrier would provide this year? HELL NO! But I do believe we will be a little better in 2012 than we would have been had we won it all last year.
The schedule is out already?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Man there aint no benefits for not winning the super bowl.

This! .. and stop making me agree with this individual !!!
that.

Damn cuz why you mad ?
Originally posted by oldman9er:

This! .. and stop making me agree with this individual !!!
this thread is crazy. you only play to win the super bowl. also, there isnt any guarantee you can capture that magic again. not saying i dont hope they are building a dynasty but the teams they had in the 90s and the amount of nfc championship games lost was tough.
Stupid ass threads

Originally posted by thechamber52:

this
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Are you saying the 9ers winning the Superbowl this year (2011-2012) is somewhat like Leon Spinks winning the heavyweight title from Ali? Too much too soon? Perhaps you are on to something here. If we are looking for one title and done rather than be in the hunt year after year, then yeah I can see you point.

Exactly.

I'm a patient mf'er......I'd rather a more surefire dynasty than a SB one and done.

As I said before, we are young enough to be legitimately strong for some years to come.

You would think fans on the zone are living in 1990 right now, not 1980.

BTW, we should look at how the Giants managed to win 2 superbowls in 4 years with nothing more than a strong DL, good WRs, and elite QB. Their balance is freaking whacky.....we should be able to top that.

LOL @ acting like having an elite QB is no big deal. "All they have is this, that and an elite QB. Meh."

If we had one of those, multiple championships would be almost guaranteed with the defense and special teams being what they are. An elite QB can make nobodies out to be receiving threats.
We as 49er fans were very spoiled, we had shots at the SB just about every year in a twenty year run. It may be easier to hit the lottery than to have that happen again with any team. Some of us fans that are up there in years know that if you get a shot and you don't take advantage of it, who knows when the next one comes.
I try real hard not to think of Kyle Williams but my blood still boils when I do.

Stop making stupid ass threads.

Sisterwheels hit the nail on the head. This is some goofy ass reasoning.
Originally posted by Chief:

Sisterwheels hit the nail on the head. This is some goofy ass reasoning.

People don't look deep enough to read between the lines.

Also, no guarantee we would have won it. Looks like we probably could have, but what if we lost. The Giants almost lost....had the Welker play connected there was a decent chance that drive ends 24-15. And despite how poorly the Patriots played, I think they lost the game more than the Giants won it.

Let's face the reality.....without Joe Montana or Steve Young, you're gonna want to field a team where you have very little doubts you are better than and can win. I don't think we were quite there yet this year with the loss of so many receivers. I do think we will be there next year.

Is it a coincidence we are 5-0 in superbowls?? I think the next closest undefeated record is 1-0. You want the clean L column, you're gonna have to go when you're ready!!!

Yeah, I wish we would have won it all. More than most of you as I stood to win 12:1 if they did!!!!!!!!! So for me to say what I say with $2400 winnings vanished, is not wishing we lost (and I never hedged the Saints or Giants game either!!).

I've had a few negatives in my life that were KW cringeworthy at first but turned out for the better in the long run.

If you have nothing positive to add to this thread, then don't. Someone should delete it.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Of course there is.

It would always be better to WIN the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean there is zero benefit to not getting there. For Example....players have gotten a taste now of success and don't like the bitter taste of getting so close. Now they will EXPECT to be better and will train harder becasue they not only WANT it, but know they can do it.

Thanks.

People misread thinking I wish the 49ers lost against the Giants.

History has shown a precedent for great things happening to losers of the NFCC. In the '80s we killed in '84 after the '83 heartbreak and were still young enough to win in '88 and '89.

The front office work in '94 in hindsight was an all out attempt to win a SB with Steve Young and Rice in their primes. We are closer to being the '84 team than the '94 team.

I'm dying to see what the Giants do this year. Also curious how the Patriots handled this heartbreak.

Really? Idk about you but I'm dying to see what the 49ers do this year.