There are 160 users in the forums

Possible benefit of not winning the SB this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just thought about it a little and always looking to spin positives.

But let's say we got the Bradshaw fumble call our way and beat the Giants.

And we stymie Bradith and win SB 46!

Would have been awesome, no doubt.

However, I look at teams that win the superbowl and why they fail to repeat (or even make playoffs/remain relevant/etc), and it seems like if you barely scraped by it is gonna be harder to stay strong than if you were pretty strong to begin with.

I've happened to be keeping up with the Giants since I've lived in NY, have NY friends, and even check out their forum. It seems like now that they've won it, Brandon Jacobs can go, Manningham can go, Bradshaw is questionable, Osi might retire.....a bunch of stuff. Strahan retired after the last win.

Had they lost to us or to New England, I'd have to imagine it changes things.

As it pertains to us, I could have seen some of our defensive FAs looking for big pay days. Alex might deserve a huge payday. Francis Gire might have retired. Does the WR position get taken as seriously in 2012 as it does now?

Bunch of what if questions. I wouldn't pose it for every team that failed to make the SB that should have (e.g. Baltimore), but for our team I think on some level we will be better prepared for the next couple of years. The way we won games this season and the Saints game, and killing Eli in the NFCC.....I think our confidence is there, we just need to keep the hunger and grow.

I remember feeling somewhere deep in weeks 13-17 that an NFCC loss in GB would be ok so long as we made the NFCC. Now that we have, we're good.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Man there aint no benefits for not winning the super bowl.

Stop making stupid ass threads.
Originally posted by susweel:

+1, winning the superbowl is the whole point of playing. There is no benefit of not winning the superbowl.

This! .. and stop making me agree with this individual !!!

Of course there is.

It would always be better to WIN the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean there is zero benefit to not getting there. For Example....players have gotten a taste now of success and don't like the bitter taste of getting so close. Now they will EXPECT to be better and will train harder becasue they not only WANT it, but know they can do it.
what the hell are you talking about

THIS

This, this, and this.
Are you saying the 9ers winning the Superbowl this year (2011-2012) is somewhat like Leon Spinks winning the heavyweight title from Ali? Too much too soon? Perhaps you are on to something here. If we are looking for one title and done rather than be in the hunt year after year, then yeah I can see you point.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Of course there is.

It would always be better to WIN the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean there is zero benefit to not getting there. For Example....players have gotten a taste now of success and don't like the bitter taste of getting so close. Now they will EXPECT to be better and will train harder becasue they not only WANT it, but know they can do it.

Thanks.

People misread thinking I wish the 49ers lost against the Giants.

History has shown a precedent for great things happening to losers of the NFCC. In the '80s we killed in '84 after the '83 heartbreak and were still young enough to win in '88 and '89.

The front office work in '94 in hindsight was an all out attempt to win a SB with Steve Young and Rice in their primes. We are closer to being the '84 team than the '94 team.

I'm dying to see what the Giants do this year. Also curious how the Patriots handled this heartbreak.

Originally posted by JoeisGod:
Are you saying the 9ers winning the Superbowl this year (2011-2012) is somewhat like Leon Spinks winning the heavyweight title from Ali? Too much too soon? Perhaps you are on to something here. If we are looking for one title and done rather than be in the hunt year after year, then yeah I can see you point.

Exactly.

I'm a patient mf'er......I'd rather a more surefire dynasty than a SB one and done.

As I said before, we are young enough to be legitimately strong for some years to come.

You would think fans on the zone are living in 1990 right now, not 1980.

BTW, we should look at how the Giants managed to win 2 superbowls in 4 years with nothing more than a strong DL, good WRs, and elite QB. Their balance is freaking whacky.....we should be able to top that.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM ]
i'd rather have won the supebowl.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Exactly.

I'm a patient mf'er......I'd rather a more surefire dynasty than a SB one and done.

As I said before, we are young enough to be legitimately strong for some years to come.

BTW, we should look at how the Giants managed to win 2 superbowls in 4 years with nothing more than a strong DL, good WRs, and elite QB. Their balance is freaking whacky.....we should be able to top that.

if we had the #1 overall pick, maybe youd make some type of sense. us winning the superbowl and then saying we never will again is complete superstition... But us getting to theNFC champ we are picking #30.. i dont get how losing the superbowl this year will help us win 4 in the next 10 years...

Exactly.

BTW, the underlined completely contradicts what your saying.. giants won the superbowl, then won it again in the next 4 years... But shouldnt they of never won again because they won it once? your logic is making no sense
Just thought about it a little and always looking to spin positives.

But let's say we got the Bradshaw fumble call our way and beat the Giants.

And we stymie Bradith and win SB 46!

Would have been awesome, no doubt.

However, I look at teams that win the superbowl and why they fail to repeat (or even make playoffs/remain relevant/etc), and it seems like if you barely scraped by it is gonna be harder to stay strong than if you were pretty strong to begin with.

I've happened to be keeping up with the Giants since I've lived in NY, have NY friends, and even check out their forum. It seems like now that they've won it, Brandon Jacobs can go, Manningham can go, Bradshaw is questionable, Osi might retire.....a bunch of stuff. Strahan retired after the last win.

Had they lost to us or to New England, I'd have to imagine it changes things.

As it pertains to us, I could have seen some of our defensive FAs looking for big pay days. Alex might deserve a huge payday. Francis Gire might have retired. Does the WR position get taken as seriously in 2012 as it does now?

Bunch of what if questions. I wouldn't pose it for every team that failed to make the SB that should have (e.g. Baltimore), but for our team I think on some level we will be better prepared for the next couple of years. The way we won games this season and the Saints game, and killing Eli in the NFCC.....I think our confidence is there, we just need to keep the hunger and grow.

I remember feeling somewhere deep in weeks 13-17 that an NFCC loss in GB would be ok so long as we made the NFCC. Now that we have, we're good.

Share 49ersWebzone