LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 191 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
No i'm saying there's a salary cap and other holes to fill.

How expensive would a guy in the 3rd or 4th round be, especially if it opens up the offense further next year. Put a talented receiving threat at tight-end across from Vernon Davis and the defense HAS to respond. Currently they don't HAVE to respond because they can shutdown 6'0" Delanie Walker with a safety.

Now what if you have a guy who happens to be 6'4", 6'5", 6'6", going across the middle, teams can't defend that AND VD without adjusting their scheme. In the red-zone, is it easier to defend a 6 foot tall tight-end or a 6'5" tight-end with good hands? The reason why I ask is because this draft has several talented tight-ends with good hands, guys like Ladarius Green. You saw what having a big talented tight-end does for the Saints, if you're going to play a 2 TE offense, why not have the 2nd guy be a big, physical scoring threat as well?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM ]
Delanie could start for some teams. He's a good football player. He is replaceable. He knows how to do a lot of things, cause if he didn't they would have cut him.

I am meh about Delanie. He does a lot and that's good, but he has a knack for fumbling at the wrong moment which I hate.
Walker sucks... worst backup tight end EVER!

Originally posted by WINiner:
Delanie could start for some teams. He's a good football player. He is replaceable. He knows how to do a lot of things, cause if he didn't they would have cut him.

I am meh about Delanie. He does a lot and that's good, but he has a knack for fumbling at the wrong moment which I hate.

One of the biggest problems I have is that he's the smallest tight-end in football. The smallest. He's 6 feet tall. While other teams are loading up with big tight-ends, huge receiving threats, the 49ers essentially have a smurf as their 2nd TE, all while playing often out of the 2 TE formation. People complain about the receivers being too small, Delanie Walker is shorter than Crabtree and the same height as Morgan.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM ]
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I dunno maybe because he can play like 10 positions and is a capable receiver

Call me crazy but I'd rather have a guy who's good at playing tight-end and is a legitimate red-zone threat than a jack of all trades and master of none.

no one on the team is a redzone threat, why focus on Walker

btw I'd be happy keeping walker, VD and drafting Fleener

I wouldn't mind Fleener either...just dunno if I want him with the first round pick.

How expensive would a guy in the 3rd or 4th round be, especially if it opens up the offense further next year. Put a talented receiving threat at tight-end across from Vernon Davis and the defense HAS to respond. Currently they don't HAVE to respond because they can shutdown 6'0" Delanie Walker with a safety.

Now what if you have a guy who happens to be 6'4", 6'5", 6'6", going across the middle, teams can't defend that AND VD without adjusting their scheme. In the red-zone, is it easier to defend a 6 foot tall tight-end or a 6'5" tight-end with good hands? The reason why I ask is because this draft has several talented tight-ends with good hands, guys like Ladarius Green. You saw what having a big talented tight-end does for the Saints, if you're going to play a 2 TE offense, why not have the 2nd guy be a big, physical scoring threat as well?

We have Konrad Rueland and Nate Byham already under contract and they have the size that you continue to mention, why not give them a shot and see what they can do? I just dont see upgrading our backup TE as a huge priority this year. Maybe the Niners will draft another TE this year ,who knows? If they dont I comfortable going into next year with what we have at that spot
Also, here's a question. Would you say that Delanie Walker is on the same level as Aaron Hernandez and just hasn't had enough opportunities to prove it on the statline?

Jabaal Sheard had more sacks than Justin Smith.
Takeo Spikes had more tackles than Patrick Willis
Brent Celek had more catches than Vernon Davis

Damn our team sucks. If only we had Jabaal Sheard, Takeo Spikes and Brent Celek. We'd really be an awesome team.
Originally posted by valrod33:
We have Konrad Rueland and Nate Byham already under contract and they have the size that you continue to mention, why not give them a shot and see what they can do? I just dont see upgrading our backup TE as a huge priority this year. Maybe the Niners will draft another TE this year ,who knows? If they dont I comfortable going into next year with what we have at that spot

Byham's a blocking tight-end and Reuland can't block to save his life. If this team continues to run 2 TE sets, then it would make considerable sense to add someone who is truly a scoring threat at that 2nd TE position.
Originally posted by Youngb:

Damn our team sucks. If only we had Jabaal Sheard, Takeo Spikes and Brent Celek. We'd really be an awesome team.

So what you're saying is that Walker is a better player than Aaron Hernandez, he just doesn't have the same numbers? Because that is what your answer is implying.

One more thing I've learned in this thread. I think I'm getting it now.

Things I've Learned In This Thread Thus Far

-Delanie Walker is better than Aaron Hernandez, he just doesn't have the same stats

-Delanie Walker does stuff that doesn't show up on the statline, stats don't matter.

-Stats do matter if you're Michael Crabtree

-Delanie can play like 10 positions, none of them very well, which is better than a tight-end who plays one position and does it well.

-Even though he can go half a season without making a reception, Delanie is very dangerous when he has the ball in his hands.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM ]

Byham's a blocking tight-end and Reuland can't block to save his life. If this team continues to run 2 TE sets, then it would make considerable sense to add someone who is truly a scoring threat at that 2nd TE position.
Byham was catching the ball pretty well in camp before he got hurt, with their height(rueland and Byham) i dont see why they cant be scoring threats in the redzone. like I said im comfortable with what we have if the Niners didnt bring in another TE. If they do bring in another one then hopefully he is everything you wish for because Id hate to see your thread next year

Now what if you have a guy who happens to be 6'4", 6'5", 6'6", going across the middle, teams can't defend that AND VD without adjusting their scheme.

Late draft pick just to see what would happen? i.e. another project power foward.... No problem. but if you're talking about a mid-high draft pick or FA, that's rediculous.

However you're talking about the TE position as if it is a NEED to be upgradded. you'd expect a 3rd round pick to be at least pushing for a starting job. Is TE a bigger need than WR? OG? CB (depth)? .......QB? I say no. what you want is a dominant jump ball man. does Delanie Walker have to be the odd-man out when looking for that type of guy? can't that type of player be a WR where the team is VERY weak at?

my point is, Could we replace Delanie Walker for a jump ball guy or could we replace Brett Swain for a guy like that and at the same time address the team's actual needs?

i know what you're envisioning (in a copy cat league ). 4th is doable for it but still a stretch (if it's a TE) again taking into consideration the team's needs.
Late draft pick just to see what would happen? i.e. another project power foward.... No problem. but if you're talking about a mid-high draft pick or FA, that's rediculous.

However you're talking about the TE position as if it is a NEED to be upgradded. you'd expect a 3rd round pick to be at least pushing for a starting job. Is TE a bigger need than WR? OG? CB (depth)? .......QB? I say no. what you want is a dominant jump ball man. does Delanie Walker have to be the odd-man out when looking for that type of guy? can't that type of player be a WR where the team is VERY weak at?

my point is, Could we replace Delanie Walker for a jump ball guy or could we replace Brett Swain for a guy like that and at the same time address the team's actual needs?

i know what you're envisioning (in a copy cat league ). 4th is doable for it but still a stretch (if it's a TE) again taking into consideration the team's needs.

What if the best value happens to be with a guy like Fleener in the 1st round? So next year they lineup and basically play 2TE full-time, similar to New England? If the best value is a tight-end, do you get that player or reach for a WR because its a position of need?

Also it is ridiculous to spell ridiculous with an e. :)
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM ]
klye williams ,delanie walker ,and 2013 4rd pick up to san diego for a.gates and their 2013 3rd pick

DO IT
klye williams ,delanie walker ,and 2013 4rd pick up to san diego for a.gates and their 2013 3rd pick

DO IT

No. Because you wouldn't be trading for Gates circa 2007, you'd be trading for the corpse of Antonio Gates, at this point Walker, Williams and a 4th is still a better value.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Youngb:

So what you're saying is that Walker is a better player than Aaron Hernandez, he just doesn't have the same numbers? Because that is what your answer is implying.

One more thing I've learned in this thread. I think I'm getting it now.

Things I've Learned In This Thread Thus Far

-Delanie Walker is better than Aaron Hernandez, he just doesn't have the same stats

-Delanie Walker does stuff that doesn't show up on the statline, stats don't matter.

-Stats do matter if you're Michael Crabtree

-Delanie can play like 10 positions, none of them very well, which is better than a tight-end who plays one position and does it well.

-Even though he can go half a season without making a reception, Delanie is very dangerous when he has the ball in his hands.

No one said that other than you
Share 49ersWebzone