LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
so i don't proofread. big whoop. doesn't mean i'm wrong.

Trade down in that case. But yes, there could be a lot that happens up until the draft that COULD make that pick a better option.

but what is the point you want to make, Delanie is over-rated and we NEED to replacement or want a big bodied guy to run accross the middle?

Delanie Walker is overrated. This team is not "fine" at the #2 TE, as much as they play out of that formation, they should have a guy who is a dependable threat, especially in the red-zone, that way if a team focuses on VD, you've got another guy who can put points on the board, someone with considerable size, presenting a difficult matchup for the defense.

That basically sums it up. I like Delanie Walker, I like his versatility, he's a fierce blocker, but I don't like the fact that he's basically a midget as a TE and has a tendency to disappear. He dropped catches, he missed passes while in the end-zone, he didn't step up when this team was desperate, performing horribly in the end-zone.

Was he the worst offender? Not at all.

I'm just confused as to why he seems to be the only guy who gets a pass. People blame Alex, VD, Crabtree, Gore...etc.......but the guy who was out there on a lot of these red-zone plays somehow escapes criticism.

he's the backup TE. what you're describing above is a backup TE. why people defend him is because, despite that, he still contributes a lot for a backup TE. I know a lot of people over-value him (which is the case for a lot of players), but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. not many teams have their #2 TE contribute this much.
he's the backup TE. what you're describing above is a backup TE. why people defend him is because, despite that, he still contributes a lot for a backup TE. I know a lot of people over-value him (which is the case for a lot of players), but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. not many teams have their #2 TE contribute this much.

Which would be fine if he sat on the bench for most of the time and came in to block here and there but in Harbaugh's offense the #2 TE is a major factor and having a guy who is often a non-entity and goes entire games without making a catch is not cutting the mustard. The "he's only a #2 TE" excuse is b******t when you consider how much the #2 TE is out on the field for this team.

People wouldn't have been freaking out when he broke his jaw if he was "just a backup." #2 TE in the 49ers offense is a big difference from #2 TE in the Giants offense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM ]
Are you even a 49er fan?

Which would be fine if he sat on the bench for most of the time and came in to block here and there but in Harbaugh's offense the #2 TE is a major factor and having a guy who is often a non-entity and goes entire games without making a catch is not cutting the mustard. The "he's only a #2 TE" excuse is b******t when you consider how much the #2 TE is out on the field for this team.
And the #2 is mainly out there for blocking, at least this year it was
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Are you even a 49er fan?

"ZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG..."
There it is, the traditional Webzone "question of allegiance." "You're saying that Delanie Walker is overrated, how dare you, why you can't be a 49ers fan, you're not EVER EVER supposed to criticize, anyone who is anyone knows that after all, you must be a Raiders fan!"

No, I'm a hardcore Montreal Alouettes fan that lives in Arizona, I'm just here to troll.
Originally posted by valrod33:

As many times as Delanie was running around in the end-zone and going deep on routes, you could have fooled me. :)
Yes IMO he is the most over rated.

The Most Underrated player on this team is Brooks IMO
I honestly dont even remember Delanie Walker playing in the redzone
Originally posted by Joecool:
I like Walker but it would be awesome if we can upgrade his position. Doesn't seem that difficult to find a TE who can be a tough cover and block good enough.

Exactly what I'm saying. its telling that people's responses are typically "Well what Delanie does doesn't show up on the statline."

Which is perfect for a 3-4 DE but if you've got a TE who is out on the field fairly often, especially in the red-zone, I would like to see stuff show up on the stat-line.
What he does was fine 2 years ago but now this team needs guys who are actual threats, who the defense will HAVE to focus on and if Harbaugh's going to run the 2-TE formations, having a 2nd TE who is a scoring threat is an absolute must.

Look at the Giants, they had playmakers everywhere BUT TE but they had so many guys that it made life very difficult for even the best defenses. I'm hoping for the 49ers to not settle for okay or "his stats just don't show up" and go out and add playmakers everywhere on this offense, two more receivers, an upgrade at tight-end, maybe another "BIG" running back since Dixon runs like he's 5'9" and 175.

like i said, later than 4th round pick to find an upgrade no problem. anything before that is too much IMO. I think the team would be better off as a whole upgrading other positions other than TE.

Walker's been good but not great. other's on the field as much or more than him have been average to poor (Swain, Williams, Ginn as WR, Snyder, Brown, Brock, Peelle (3TE is used a lot also), Dixon).
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Are you even a 49er fan?

"ZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG..."
There it is, the traditional Webzone "question of allegiance." "You're saying that Delanie Walker is overrated, how dare you, why you can't be a 49ers fan, you're not EVER EVER supposed to criticize, anyone who is anyone knows that after all, you must be a Raiders fan!"

No, I'm a hardcore Montreal Alouettes fan that lives in Arizona, I'm just here to troll.

Good to know.

Originally posted by Youngb:
Jabaal Sheard had more sacks than Justin Smith.
Takeo Spikes had more tackles than Patrick Willis
Brent Celek had more catches than Vernon Davis

Damn our team sucks. If only we had Jabaal Sheard, Takeo Spikes and Brent Celek. We'd really be an awesome team.

So what you're saying is that Walker is a better player than Aaron Hernandez, he just doesn't have the same numbers? Because that is what your answer is implying.

One more thing I've learned in this thread. I think I'm getting it now.

Things I've Learned In This Thread Thus Far

-Delanie Walker is better than Aaron Hernandez, he just doesn't have the same stats

-Delanie Walker does stuff that doesn't show up on the statline, stats don't matter.

-Stats do matter if you're Michael Crabtree

-Delanie can play like 10 positions, none of them very well, which is better than a tight-end who plays one position and does it well.

-Even though he can go half a season without making a reception, Delanie is very dangerous when he has the ball in his hands.

I've learned that you aren't very good at spotting talent.

Sorry...was too easy. ;-) Seriously tho...

I dunno if he has more talent than Aaron Hernandez, but playing in the NE offense a FAR, FAR different then playing in a run-first power O. You HAVE to be able to see that.

The guy just doesn't get the ball that often. In 2008 Vernon had an astounding 358 yards receiving. Did he just suck or was it because the Offense wasn't getting him the ball. The answer is that Vernon had Mike Martz as an OC and they kept him in to block. ALOT.

Same thing happened to Delanie this year. You can't catch the ball when you are blocking. Watch the games again and see how often Vernon is allowed into the pattern and Walker is blocking.

Then get back to me on this one. THATS what it means that numbers don't tell you the whole story.

As for the Crabtree comment, I happen to agree with you.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM ]

As many times as Delanie was running around in the end-zone and going deep on routes, you could have fooled me. :)

Yes, you were fooled. And those times when you saw him going deep....was he open? Yes.
I don't think Walker is an overrated TE. Actually he is more of a multipurpose (H-back, full back, WR) type of player and not a pure TE as such. So, drafting a pure TE is not really out of the question.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Delanie is a good player and will be productive Even if Gire. . .
[ Edited by ImaMod on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM ]
I honestly dont even remember Delanie Walker playing in the redzone

Detroit, last few seconds of the game?
Share 49ersWebzone