There are 200 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When you got a thread filled with 50+ comments in the last hour, you know its either a great thread or a bad one
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Byham's a blocking tight-end and Reuland can't block to save his life. If this team continues to run 2 TE sets, then it would make considerable sense to add someone who is truly a scoring threat at that 2nd TE position.
Delanie is a free agent after next season. Might be gone then. I'm wondering if we do draft a guy like Fleener or another receiving TE if Walker is a good enough blocker to be the 3rd TE? He would be a much better receiving threat and much quicker than Byham since we do have them go out for passes once in a while.
Originally posted by valrod33:
No one said that other than you

Read the guy I quoted. I asked if Aaron Hernandez is better than Delanie Walker, he brought up Spikes having more tackles than Willis as an example, so although Spikes had better stats, he's not the better player leading to the logical conclusion of.......................
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM ]
We have 4 TE's as it is including one rookie that will need a little developing. Walker is a good TE to have in with VD because he has the skills a TE needs. With VD as our first and a good TE like walker as our second I think you are going a little overboard for a 2nd TE, I don't give a crap about statistics for any player only numbers I care about are W-L's, the performance on the field is all I care about and stats don't always reflect that.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
We have 4 TE's as it is including one rookie that will need a little developing. Walker is a good TE to have in with VD because he has the skills a TE needs. With VD as our first and a good TE like walker as our second I think you are going a little overboard for a 2nd TE, I don't give a crap about statistics for any player only numbers I care about are W-L's, the performance on the field is all I care about and stats don't always reflect that.

So do you think the numbers adequately represented the performance on the field by the offense this year?

What particular skills does Walker have that other TE's don't? His ability to get open down the field? His ability to dominate in the red-zone? His tremendous hands? His ability to hold on to the football?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM ]
Read the guy I quoted. I asked if Aaron Hernandez is better than Delanie Walker, he brought up Spikes having more tackles than Willis as an example, so although Spikes had better stats, he's not the better player leading to the logical conclusion of.......................

Youve never played football?? Obviousley the Offense isnt going to run at Pwillis and will run at the lesser of a LB which was Spikes hence him having more tackles... Since darrelle revis doesnt have as many tackles/int's as Other CB's does that make him worse? no, just shows teams are afraid of him
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Late draft pick just to see what would happen? i.e. another project power foward.... No problem. but if you're talking about a mid-high draft pick or FA, that's rediculous.

However you're talking about the TE position as if it is a NEED to be upgradded. you'd expect a 3rd round pick to be at least pushing for a starting job. Is TE a bigger need than WR? OG? CB (depth)? .......QB? I say no. what you want is a dominant jump ball man. does Delanie Walker have to be the odd-man out when looking for that type of guy? can't that type of player be a WR where the team is VERY weak at?

my point is, Could we replace Delanie Walker for a jump ball guy or could we replace Brett Swain for a guy like that and at the same time address the team's actual needs?

i know what you're envisioning (in a copy cat league ). 4th is doable for it but still a stretch (if it's a TE) again taking into consideration the team's needs.

What if the best value happens to be with a guy like Fleener in the 1st round? So next year they lineup and basically play 2TE full-time, similar to New England? If the best value is a tight-end, do you get that player or reach for a WR because its a position of need?

Also it is ridiculous to spell ridiculous with an e. :)

so i don't proofread. big whoop. doesn't mean i'm wrong.

Trade down in that case. But yes, there could be a lot that happens up until the draft that COULD make that pick a better option.

but what is the point you want to make, Delanie is over-rated and we NEED to replacement or want a big bodied guy to run accross the middle?
I would say Joe Staley because I never thought he'd make the Pro Bowl
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Youve never played football?? Obviousley the Offense isnt going to run at Pwillis and will run at the lesser of a LB which was Spikes hence him having more tackles... Since darrelle revis doesnt have as many tackles/int's as Other CB's does that make him worse? no, just shows teams are afraid of him

Your point makes no sense, I'm not trying to argue that the guy with the better stats is automatically the better player, far from it, I just thought it curious that the other guy responded to my question by getting all defensive and bringing up examples of 49ers players that were worse statistically than other players who aren't nearly as talented. I simply noted that he was implying that Delanie Walker is better than Aaron Hernandez by the use of that same logic.

Your point makes no sense, I'm not trying to argue that the guy with the better stats is automatically the better player, far from it, I just thought it curious that the other guy responded to my question by getting all defensive and bringing up examples of 49ers players that were worse statistically than other players who aren't nearly as talented. I simply noted that he was implying that Delanie Walker is better than Aaron Hernandez by the use of that same logic.

But you are using stats to argue that someone is overrated.

how does my point make no sense?? Opposing Offenses will gameplan away from P-Willis since hes so talented and attack Spikes/Bowman etc, leading to more tackles for Spikes.. So if your saying "tackles" make him a better player than Willis your far mistaken off what football consists of.

Trade down in that case. But yes, there could be a lot that happens up until the draft that COULD make that pick a better option.

but what is the point you want to make, Delanie is over-rated and we NEED to replacement or want a big bodied guy to run accross the middle?

Delanie Walker is overrated. This team is not "fine" at the #2 TE, as much as they play out of that formation, they should have a guy who is a dependable threat, especially in the red-zone, that way if a team focuses on VD, you've got another guy who can put points on the board, someone with considerable size, presenting a difficult matchup for the defense.

That basically sums it up. I like Delanie Walker, I like his versatility, he's a fierce blocker, but I don't like the fact that he's basically a midget as a TE and has a tendency to disappear. He dropped catches, he missed passes while in the end-zone, he didn't step up when this team was desperate, performing horribly in the end-zone.

Was he the worst offender? Not at all.

I'm just confused as to why he seems to be the only guy who gets a pass. People blame Alex, VD, Crabtree, Gore...etc.......but the guy who was out there on a lot of these red-zone plays somehow escapes criticism.
how does my point make no sense?? Opposing Offenses will gameplan away from P-Willis since hes so talented and attack Spikes/Bowman etc, leading to more tackles for Spikes.. So if your saying "tackles" make him a better player than Willis your far mistaken off what football consists of.

That's not what I'm saying at all, f**k, that's why I said your point makes no sense, go back and read what I wrote again.

Delanie Walker is overrated. This team is not "fine" at the #2 TE, as much as they play out of that formation, they should have a guy who is a dependable threat, especially in the red-zone, that way if a team focuses on VD, you've got another guy who can put points on the board, someone with considerable size, presenting a difficult matchup for the defense.

That basically sums it up. I like Delanie Walker, I like his versatility, he's a fierce blocker, but I don't like the fact that he's basically a midget as a TE and has a tendency to disappear. He dropped catches, he missed passes while in the end-zone, he didn't step up when this team was desperate, performing horribly in the end-zone.

Was he the worst offender? Not at all.

I'm just confused as to why he seems to be the only guy who gets a pass. People blame Alex, VD, Crabtree, Gore...etc.......but the guy who was out there on a lot of these red-zone plays somehow escapes criticism.

I like Walker but it would be awesome if we can upgrade his position. Doesn't seem that difficult to find a TE who can be a tough cover and block good enough.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I like Walker but it would be awesome if we can upgrade his position. Doesn't seem that difficult to find a TE who can be a tough cover and block good enough.

Exactly what I'm saying. its telling that people's responses are typically "Well what Delanie does doesn't show up on the statline."

Which is perfect for a 3-4 DE but if you've got a TE who is out on the field fairly often, especially in the red-zone, I would like to see stuff show up on the stat-line.
What he does was fine 2 years ago but now this team needs guys who are actual threats, who the defense will HAVE to focus on and if Harbaugh's going to run the 2-TE formations, having a 2nd TE who is a scoring threat is an absolute must.

Look at the Giants, they had playmakers everywhere BUT TE but they had so many guys that it made life very difficult for even the best defenses. I'm hoping for the 49ers to not settle for okay or "his stats just don't show up" and go out and add playmakers everywhere on this offense, two more receivers, an upgrade at tight-end, maybe another "BIG" running back since Dixon runs like he's 5'9" and 175.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone