There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
I would say Delaine's blocking is replaceable, that doesn't meant I don't think he isn't a good blocker, or that it's not appreciated. I just think that we have plenty of guess on defense and offense that could replace that aspect of his game. His inconstant hands is very replaceable, however his special teams play would be very hard to replace, he might be the best we have on special team as far as i'm concerned. That is more than enough reason for me to want the guy around.

Plus if you haven't noticed, I think we are missing Jones, and Costanzo.

Agreed. I figured some fire would be lost in coverage and that we'd give up more yards and maybe even some TD's this year (no-calls or not) with the aforementioned two loses. That said, they've been making a concerted effort to boot the ball out of the back of the EZ every time so that's a good move.

As to Flenner, no doubt I wanted him b/c, like Moss, he would be an immediate threat in the passing game and ideal in our 2 TE sets (would be great for Alex's high, safe throws, RZ, 3rd downs, etc.). He would open up things even more for Davis/Crabtree and create mismatches by himself.

That said, DW brings consistency in the blocking and ST area and with our offense in particular. If he can get back to catching a ball, he can be dangerous too. I just don't see him as a "threat" or a consistent pass-catcher that defenses would need to game-plan for (or prepare extra for when they see him come on the field).

Too early to say esp. b/c Jenkins hasn't seen a snap and probably won't for a while. I just felt Fleener could come in RIGHT now and create instant mismatches and wouldn't need much time to hit the ground running (in Harbaugh's offense). Not to mention, he would be an ideal backup should VD ever go down, IMHO.

But I do very much appreciate DW and all he has done for us up to this point; Fleener would just be a luxury and that alone, says a lot!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM ]
this thread is dumb
Originally posted by NCommand:
I would say Delaine's blocking is replaceable, that doesn't meant I don't think he isn't a good blocker, or that it's not appreciated. I just think that we have plenty of guess on defense and offense that could replace that aspect of his game. His inconstant hands is very replaceable, however his special teams play would be very hard to replace, he might be the best we have on special team as far as i'm concerned. That is more than enough reason for me to want the guy around.

Plus if you haven't noticed, I think we are missing Jones, and Costanzo.

Agreed. I figured some fire would be lost in coverage and that we'd give up more yards and maybe even some TD's this year (no-calls or not) with the aforementioned two loses. That said, they've been making a concerted effort to boot the ball out of the back of the EZ every time so that's a good move.

As to Flenner, no doubt I wanted him b/c, like Moss, he would be an immediate threat in the passing game and ideal in our 2 TE sets (would be great for Alex's high, safe throws, RZ, 3rd downs, etc.). He would open up things even more for Davis/Crabtree and create mismatches by himself.

That said, DW brings consistency in the blocking and ST area and with our offense in particular. If he can get back to catching a ball, he can be dangerous too. I just don't see him as a "threat" or a consistent pass-catcher that defenses would need to game-plan for (or prepare extra for when they see him come on the field).

Too early to say esp. b/c Jenkins hasn't seen a snap and probably won't for a while. I just felt Fleener could come in RIGHT now and create instant mismatches and wouldn't need much time to hit the ground running (in Harbaugh's offense). Not to mention, he would be an ideal backup should VD ever go down, IMHO.

But I do very much appreciate DW and all he has done for us up to this point; Fleener would just be a luxury and that alone, says a lot!
I totally agree, I think some feel he's overrated because of the hands issue, I'll admit it bothers me when he drops passes, but he's so good at everything else it's really hard for me to be upset about it, especially handing him the overrated title.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Just asking. I keep hearing that the 49ers shouldn't draft a tight-end because they've got one great TE and one "very good TE." I'm just trying to discover what this is being based off of?

-His career high of 330 yards receiving?

-His career total of 5 touchdown's?

-The fact that he's 6 feet tall, considerably shorter than just about every other tight-end in football?

-The fact that up until this season he had fumbled the ball away more times than he had scored touchdowns?

-After the Giants game he went the rest of the season without a reception and dropped a few key passes during that time.

I just don't get the hype. Yeah he's a good blocker and a so-so receiver, but he's also extremely under-sized, seeing how frequently the 49ers use 2 TE sets, I think its rather foolish to say "oh no, they don't need to improve" when you've got a rather ordinary 2nd TE by all accounts.

I'm just trying to figure out where the hype is coming from. He's a solid player and a good stop-gap but to go out and say "no, we're good, we don't need anymore" when New England had 2 tight-ends with basically 1000 yard seasons, when Carolina has 2 TE's going 6'5", is very short-sighted.

Yet I keep hearing on the Webzone and pretty much everywhere else "oh, no, we're good, we have two good tight ends, we don't need anymore", like this self-perpetuating mythology that has built up.

kyle williams !
Originally posted by KegBert:
Delanie is a good player. He can play ST's and is a good blocker but C'mon guys, I think we can all agree he needs A LOT of work on his pass catching.

Also, sorry to burst your bubble but Delanie would not be a dominant # 1 on another team. That's just crazy talk.

Harbaugh loves his 2 TE sets and it takes the multiplicity out of the offense if one of em can't catch a cold.

Again, not saying he's terrible but if dude can't start hauling in some passes we may need to look at the draft for another TE.

Totally agree, Fleener was the pick this year. Delanie is in the last year of his contract and I would not even sign him to the league minimum because he is replaceable. You could get a league minimum player that would play as well as Delanie and not miss a beat.

Delanie is short,
He drops the ball all too consistently
He fumbles the ball
I Have nightmares of him returning kicks.
He is replaceable.

Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, Kyle Rudolph, Todd Heap all where number 2's in 2011 an I would take all of them over Delanie. Heck watching the Giants play last night I think Bear Pascoe is a better blocker and receiving threat than Delanie, wonder what team drafted him??
Originally posted by 9erred:
Delanie is a good player. He can play ST's and is a good blocker but C'mon guys, I think we can all agree he needs A LOT of work on his pass catching.

Also, sorry to burst your bubble but Delanie would not be a dominant # 1 on another team. That's just crazy talk.

Harbaugh loves his 2 TE sets and it takes the multiplicity out of the offense if one of em can't catch a cold.

Again, not saying he's terrible but if dude can't start hauling in some passes we may need to look at the draft for another TE.

Totally agree, Fleener was the pick this year. Delanie is in the last year of his contract and I would not even sign him to the league minimum because he is replaceable. You could get a league minimum player that would play as well as Delanie and not miss a beat.

Delanie is short,
He fumbles the ball
He is replaceable.

Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, Kyle Rudolph, Todd Heap all where number 2's in 2011 an I would take all of them over Delanie. Heck watching the Giants play last night I think Bear Pascoe is a better blocker and receiving threat than Delanie, wonder what team drafted him??
Do you even watch the games?
Originally posted by 9erred:

Delanie is short,
He fumbles the ball
He is replaceable.

Do you even watch the games?

Yes, do you? Perhaps you should look at the 2012 stats for the first few weeks. Fleener has outplayed Walker, and league minimum Bear Pascoe is equal to Walker. Also Pascoe showed up and actually made catches in big games for the Giants, Walker has crumbled on catchable balls throughout his career. The first few games in 2012 have exemplified this. Perhaps you are not watching the game?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=PAS179616&player2=WAL115671&player3=FLE075352&player4=null&position=tightend&playerOne=Bear+Pascoe&playerTwo=Delanie+Walker&playerThree=Coby+Fleener&playerFour=
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Just asking. I keep hearing that the 49ers shouldn't draft a tight-end because they've got one great TE and one "very good TE." I'm just trying to discover what this is being based off of?

-His career high of 330 yards receiving?

-His career total of 5 touchdown's?

-The fact that he's 6 feet tall, considerably shorter than just about every other tight-end in football?

-The fact that up until this season he had fumbled the ball away more times than he had scored touchdowns?

-After the Giants game he went the rest of the season without a reception and dropped a few key passes during that time.

I just don't get the hype. Yeah he's a good blocker and a so-so receiver, but he's also extremely under-sized, seeing how frequently the 49ers use 2 TE sets, I think its rather foolish to say "oh no, they don't need to improve" when you've got a rather ordinary 2nd TE by all accounts.

I'm just trying to figure out where the hype is coming from. He's a solid player and a good stop-gap but to go out and say "no, we're good, we don't need anymore" when New England had 2 tight-ends with basically 1000 yard seasons, when Carolina has 2 TE's going 6'5", is very short-sighted.

Yet I keep hearing on the Webzone and pretty much everywhere else "oh, no, we're good, we have two good tight ends, we don't need anymore", like this self-perpetuating mythology that has built up.

You are wrong sir
This post ignores the reasons people value Delanie. Nobody is arguing that he is Antonio Gates, or Kevin Boss, and certainly he isn't Davis. The point is that as the #2 he brings a great deal of tangible skills which help create mismatches against a defense in the run and passing game. If you leave him alone he can make you pay. If you deal with him it means you are not dealing with our gamebreakers.
i think people have Patriots envy..................................
People are trippin.. Delanie is a good player.

He can block
Return kicks
Catch balls

What else do you want?
We dont need another GREAT TE , Delanie is better than most backup Tight ends
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
People are trippin.. Delanie is a good player.

He can block
Return kicks
Catch balls

What else do you want?
We dont need another GREAT TE , Delanie is better than most backup Tight ends

Catch??? You can't be serious
Delanie Walker Sucks

Still wishing we had... Fleener!!!
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Still wishing we had... Fleener!!!

YES, I think that is what this thread is referring to. I would rather have two starter quality TE's than one starter quality TE and a TE/HB/Special teams ace be the primary back up.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home