Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
I would say Delaine's blocking is replaceable, that doesn't meant I don't think he isn't a good blocker, or that it's not appreciated. I just think that we have plenty of guess on defense and offense that could replace that aspect of his game. His inconstant hands is very replaceable, however his special teams play would be very hard to replace, he might be the best we have on special team as far as i'm concerned. That is more than enough reason for me to want the guy around.
Plus if you haven't noticed, I think we are missing Jones, and Costanzo.
Agreed. I figured some fire would be lost in coverage and that we'd give up more yards and maybe even some TD's this year (no-calls or not) with the aforementioned two loses. That said, they've been making a concerted effort to boot the ball out of the back of the EZ every time so that's a good move.
As to Flenner, no doubt I wanted him b/c, like Moss, he would be an immediate threat in the passing game and ideal in our 2 TE sets (would be great for Alex's high, safe throws, RZ, 3rd downs, etc.). He would open up things even more for Davis/Crabtree and create mismatches by himself.
That said, DW brings consistency in the blocking and ST area and with our offense in particular. If he can get back to catching a ball, he can be dangerous too. I just don't see him as a "threat" or a consistent pass-catcher that defenses would need to game-plan for (or prepare extra for when they see him come on the field).
Too early to say esp. b/c Jenkins hasn't seen a snap and probably won't for a while. I just felt Fleener could come in RIGHT now and create instant mismatches and wouldn't need much time to hit the ground running (in Harbaugh's offense). Not to mention, he would be an ideal backup should VD ever go down, IMHO.
But I do very much appreciate DW and all he has done for us up to this point; Fleener would just be a luxury and that alone, says a lot!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM ]
