There are 135 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Delanie is a good player. He can play ST's and is a good blocker but C'mon guys, I think we can all agree he needs A LOT of work on his pass catching.

Also, sorry to burst your bubble but Delanie would not be a dominant # 1 on another team. That's just crazy talk.

Harbaugh loves his 2 TE sets and it takes the multiplicity out of the offense if one of em can't catch a cold.

Again, not saying he's terrible but if dude can't start hauling in some passes we may need to look at the draft for another TE.

Totally agree, Fleener was the pick this year. Delanie is in the last year of his contract and I would not even sign him to the league minimum because he is replaceable. You could get a league minimum player that would play as well as Delanie and not miss a beat.

Delanie is short,
He drops the ball all too consistently
He fumbles the ball
I Have nightmares of him returning kicks.
He is replaceable.

Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, Kyle Rudolph, Todd Heap all where number 2's in 2011 an I would take all of them over Delanie. Heck watching the Giants play last night I think Bear Pascoe is a better blocker and receiving threat than Delanie, wonder what team drafted him??
Do you even watch the games?

Yes, do you? Perhaps you should look at the 2012 stats for the first few weeks. Fleener has outplayed Walker, and league minimum Bear Pascoe is equal to Walker. Also Pascoe showed up and actually made catches in big games for the Giants, Walker has crumbled on catchable balls throughout his career. The first few games in 2012 have exemplified this. Perhaps you are not watching the game?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=PAS179616&player2=WAL115671&player3=FLE075352&player4=null&position=tightend&playerOne=Bear+Pascoe&playerTwo=Delanie+Walker&playerThree=Coby+Fleener&playerFour=
Blocking doesn't show on stats, neither does ST, that's why I asked if you watch any of the games. The fact that you are saying either of them are better in that regard is silly to say the least.
G-Ro:

"Not off the top of my head, no. Delanie's a really good player, had a great game the other night for the most part. Did a great job handling multiple roles and I was really proud of how he played. When [TE] Vernon [Davis] had to step out of the game, he just stepped into the Y tight end position, did a very good job. Delanie is a guy we count on."

Some of you guys need to tell Roman he's wrong. Delanie suckage.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
G-Ro:

"Not off the top of my head, no. Delanie's a really good player, had a great game the other night for the most part. Did a great job handling multiple roles and I was really proud of how he played. When [TE] Vernon [Davis] had to step out of the game, he just stepped into the Y tight end position, did a very good job. Delanie is a guy we count on."

Yeah Walker's a real a*****e, never there when we need him, always dropping the clutch pass like that Detroit game last year where he choked on 4th down.

[ Edited by ninermedic on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM ]
Delanie is talented, but not a great player overall. He is an H-back really, and not a true tight end. He is primarily a beast special teams player and a big, fast, physical guy who benefits our run game with his blocking.

He just costs us, however, when he has the football go to him -- whether he's leaving it out there for easy fumbles, or dropping wide open passes all over the field. If he didn't have those issues, and the lack of true TE height, he could be starting somewhere. That is why he is not.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by ninermedic:
G-Ro:

Yeah Walker's a real a*****e, never there when we need him, always dropping the clutch pass like that Detroit game last year where he choked on 4th down.

wouldn't of had to go for it on 4th down if he hadn't dropped a wide open TD earlier in the game....
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Delanie is talented, but not a great player overall. He is an H-back really, and not a true tight end. He is primarily a beast special teams player and a big, fast, physical guy who benefits our run game with his blocking.

He just costs us, however, when he has the football go to him -- whether he's leaving it out there for easy fumbles, or dropping wide open passes all over the field. If he didn't have those issues, and the lack of true TE height, he could be starting somewhere. That is why he is not.
I agree with all of this.
G-Ro:

Oh that seals it, he doesn't suck after all.

ps, the coaches don't criticize the players in public. at least not our coaches.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I agree with all of this.

i agree with this also..though i would add since he's horrible at catching and holding on to the ball, he can be easily replaced.
Overrated H-Back. Should have been replaced with a real TE.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Delanie is a good player. He can play ST's and is a good blocker but C'mon guys, I think we can all agree he needs A LOT of work on his pass catching.

Also, sorry to burst your bubble but Delanie would not be a dominant # 1 on another team. That's just crazy talk.

Harbaugh loves his 2 TE sets and it takes the multiplicity out of the offense if one of em can't catch a cold.

Again, not saying he's terrible but if dude can't start hauling in some passes we may need to look at the draft for another TE.

Totally agree, Fleener was the pick this year. Delanie is in the last year of his contract and I would not even sign him to the league minimum because he is replaceable. You could get a league minimum player that would play as well as Delanie and not miss a beat.

Delanie is short,
He drops the ball all too consistently
He fumbles the ball
I Have nightmares of him returning kicks.
He is replaceable.

Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, Kyle Rudolph, Todd Heap all where number 2's in 2011 an I would take all of them over Delanie. Heck watching the Giants play last night I think Bear Pascoe is a better blocker and receiving threat than Delanie, wonder what team drafted him??
Do you even watch the games?

Yes, do you? Perhaps you should look at the 2012 stats for the first few weeks. Fleener has outplayed Walker, and league minimum Bear Pascoe is equal to Walker. Also Pascoe showed up and actually made catches in big games for the Giants, Walker has crumbled on catchable balls throughout his career. The first few games in 2012 have exemplified this. Perhaps you are not watching the game?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=PAS179616&player2=WAL115671&player3=FLE075352&player4=null&position=tightend&playerOne=Bear+Pascoe&playerTwo=Delanie+Walker&playerThree=Coby+Fleener&playerFour=
Blocking doesn't show on stats, neither does ST, that's why I asked if you watch any of the games. The fact that you are saying either of them are better in that regard is silly to say the least.

Pascoe is NOT better than Walker. That's a joke.

Anybody think Garrett Celek could take Walker's spot next season?
I didn't really watch him that closely in pre-season.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

First, the player has to know the system as good as Walker. They ask Delanie to do A LOT. It's not easy to remember and execute all those assignments.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
G-Ro:

Oh that seals it, he doesn't suck after all.

ps, the coaches don't criticize the players in public. at least not our coaches.

They don't critized players in the Harbaugh era, but don't have to praised him like Roman had done. They give a vague answer and cut the following game or 2. If they don't like him.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:

First, the player has to know the system as good as Walker. They ask Delanie to do A LOT. It's not easy to remember and execute all those assignments.

Mulitpurpose role. He makes this offense just a tad better. And collectively those type of guys make this team better. And the coaches just said as much. Delanie doesn't build the stats of this team. He contribute to the winning.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM ]

I think a rookie might be taking Celek's spot next season
Share 49ersWebzone