There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
San Francisco currently has two excellent tight ends in Vernon Davis, who played 96.1 percent of the team's regular season offensive snaps in 2011, and Delanie Walker, who played 52.1 percent of the snaps. (Walker missed a game and a half with a broken jaw).

So to your original question no he's not over rated cause Matt just called him excellent.

"While Davis is locked in through the 2015 season, Walker is up for free agency next year. He's played in Davis' shadow since entering the league - both were drafted in 2006 - and he'll be seeking a lucrative offer. The 49ers also have Nate Byham under contract, but he's not the pass-catching threat Walker is and probably is best suited as the blocking tight end who enters in short-yardage or goal-line situations.

Jim Harbaugh always had a large and capable stable of tight ends at Stanford, and he recruited Fleener, whom many think is the best tight end in the draft this season. The 49ers certainly could stand to draft a wide receiver no matter what happens in free agency. But the strength of this position is in the middle rounds where players like Arizona's Juron Criner, Iowa's Marvin McNutt, Cal's Marvin Jones or Texas A&M's Jeff Fuller can be found. Really, it's a huge list from Rounds 2-5."

"I asked ESPN's Todd McShay about Fleener today on a conference call. Here's what he had to say: "I think he's one of the more underrated players in this draft. I think he's going to work out better than people anticipate, too. I'm excited to see what he does in terms of running and agility. When I watch him on tape, I think he runs better than people really give him credit for. I think he has a chance to stretch the field at the next level. I think he has the size, certainly, to be an adequate blocker.

"But Fleener to me - I know he had one drop against USC - but for the most part has been very consistent catching the football, very consistent running routes and being in the right position. He understands where he needs to be, and he can be an in-line blocker. He needs to get a little stronger, but I think he's the most complete tight end, and that's why I've got him in the late-first-round range."
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
San Francisco currently has two excellent tight ends in Vernon Davis, who played 96.1 percent of the team's regular season offensive snaps in 2011, and Delanie Walker, who played 52.1 percent of the snaps. (Walker missed a game and a half with a broken jaw).

So to your original question no he's not over rated cause Matt just called him excellent.

"While Davis is locked in through the 2015 season, Walker is up for free agency next year. He's played in Davis' shadow since entering the league - both were drafted in 2006 - and he'll be seeking a lucrative offer. The 49ers also have Nate Byham under contract, but he's not the pass-catching threat Walker is and probably is best suited as the blocking tight end who enters in short-yardage or goal-line situations.

Jim Harbaugh always had a large and capable stable of tight ends at Stanford, and he recruited Fleener, whom many think is the best tight end in the draft this season. The 49ers certainly could stand to draft a wide receiver no matter what happens in free agency. But the strength of this position is in the middle rounds where players like Arizona's Juron Criner, Iowa's Marvin McNutt, Cal's Marvin Jones or Texas A&M's Jeff Fuller can be found. Really, it's a huge list from Rounds 2-5."

"I asked ESPN's Todd McShay about Fleener today on a conference call. Here's what he had to say: "I think he's one of the more underrated players in this draft. I think he's going to work out better than people anticipate, too. I'm excited to see what he does in terms of running and agility. When I watch him on tape, I think he runs better than people really give him credit for. I think he has a chance to stretch the field at the next level. I think he has the size, certainly, to be an adequate blocker.

"But Fleener to me - I know he had one drop against USC - but for the most part has been very consistent catching the football, very consistent running routes and being in the right position. He understands where he needs to be, and he can be an in-line blocker. He needs to get a little stronger, but I think he's the most complete tight end, and that's why I've got him in the late-first-round range."

In Jim I trust

Walker still not over rated
In Jim I trust

Very overrated.

Going half the season without a catch for a team that features a 2 TE offense. Sorry, think the guy would be a great #2 elsewhere or an AWESOME #3 for the 49ers.
Look at the number of receptions against how many times he's been targeted...that'll give you a better feel for his value. I've said since they got him, he's way underused. He also has ST value. I say either use him more or let him go after his contract's up. A smart move would be to draft Coby Fleener in April, no matter whether they keep Delanie or not.
In Jim I trust

Very overrated.

Going half the season without a catch for a team that features a 2 TE offense. Sorry, think the guy would be a great #2 elsewhere or an AWESOME #3 for the 49ers.

really get off the stat horse

go check the stat page the 9ers had 7 guys with 15-20 catches

KW was the third leading receiver with 20 Walker had 19 tied with Ginn

let it go
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by susweel:
He's a decent player who would have better numbers in a different offense and a better QB. For a number 2 TE I think he is pretty good.

I think he is ok. I agree with the points you are trying to make. However, his lack of being able to block is what prevents me from thinking he is easily replaceable.

I dont know where you got that Delanie Walker cant block but thats simply not true

Yah he does decent job of blocking. People have to understand you are not gonna have two Vernon Davis's on one team, everybody cant be an all pro player.

They also don't have to be 6'0" at TE with marginal hands when all these teams are going to the 6'7" beasts with long arms and great hands.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They also don't have to be 6'0" at TE with marginal hands when all these teams are going to the 6'7" beasts with long arms and great hands.

Why on earth would any team want a 6'6" TE that can do something like this????

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Why on earth would any team want a 6'6" TE that can do something like this????

Maybe to help them in the redzone....
Kaepernick. He hasn't even thrown an NFL pass and people drool all over him.
This is basically a I want to draft Coby Fleener thread, delete this thread and go to the draft room with this crap
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
This is basically a I want to draft Coby Fleener thread, delete this thread and go to the draft room with this crap

This.

Silly offseason.

Name me the 2nd tight end on the 9ers 1994 team without looking

This is not an offense that needs to get the ball to the number 2 tight end there are only so many passes to go around

In the Walsh style offense the #1WR and the RB are the biggest targets followed by the #1TE and #2 WR

Are we in 1994, is Walsh coaching this team????

Harbaugh is running a version of the WCO offense, doesn't mean it's the same exact offense, his happens to be TE heavy. Hell, even in 1994 Shanahan wasn't running a pure WCO offense but more of a WCO/spread hybrid.

Not sure if you've noticed, but Steve Young isn't back in the pocket at quarterback either.

It'd sure be nice if everything stayed the same as in the past but football is changing, teams are going through the air more, looking to get the ball up, when you have a conservative quarterback who likes to throw the ball high and away, one of the best things you can do is get him a huge, tall, sure-handed and agile target to go up there and make catches for him.

You're still talking about the #2 TE historically these guys are used for blocking and average around 20 catches and a couple tds a year

oh look Walker 19 catches 3 td

i think that makes more sense for teams that run more 3 wide formations not utilizing the 2nd te, not the niners that run more 2 tes and even 3 te and jumbo packages...look at the pats with gronk and hernandez, they basically converted their o to utilize those 2 more. im not saying alex is brady and would make those guys look as good, im just saying, for this team, 2nd te needs to be a real threat
And remember he was drafted in the 6th round. Not much was expected of him and he's played well enough to compete for the #1 TE spot on some teams, along with having great versatility. Everyone would rather have Gronkowski, but you can't have the best player in the league at every position. I'd love to improve every position, but you have to have priorities and TE isn't one of'em with some much greater needs elsewhere.
Meh, it's a "why is Delanie Walker so overrated that people think that adding another tight-end is a luxury when Walker isn't any type of real scoring threat, which is a killer for a team that focuses on the 2 TE formation as much as the 49ers do."

Just trying to understand people's attitudes for a guy that hasn't really produced, who is "deadly" with the ball in his hands yet rarely has the ball in his hands, and until this year had fumbled the ball away more times than he had scored touchdowns.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
And remember he was drafted in the 6th round. Not much was expected of him and he's played well enough to compete for the #1 TE spot on some teams, along with having great versatility. Everyone would rather have Gronkowski, but you can't have the best player in the league at every position. I'd love to improve every position, but you have to have priorities and TE isn't one of'em with some much greater needs elsewhere.

On what team does a 6 foot guy compete for the #1 tight-end spot? Talk about delusional.