There are 282 users in the forums

"Wide Open" sideline routes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex can make those throws. He's made them to Crabtree and routinely hits VD all the time. He just won't throw it unless it's wide open. He is a very careful QB. He doesn't like interceptions. What Joecool or Susweel call an "overthrow" or "bad out of bounds throw" is an ON PURPOSE THROW AWAY. Alex throws a lot of stuff away on purpose. The key is another WR who can separate who Alex trusts. And 2 years in the system and more trust that way too with familiarity and continuity.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by VA49er:
This is an absolutely true statement about wide open guys. We have to start taking advantage of those situations. However, trust, practice, and familiarity with the offense should allow alex to diagnose plays more quickly and to find guys in time. There are so many things to think about on a play. When you know exactly what you expect to happen and that everyone will do the right thing you can stop worrying about the first read or making the yards and start noticing those 2nd and third reads coming open. The more we play in this offense the better it will get. ALso when the coaches aren't so busy just trying to install it all we can tweek up the routes, designs, and protections. I have faith.

Agree. What they will be doing this offseason.
+2
That throw by Eli to Manningham is a perfect example of what it takes to make a completion on those sideline throws. The main thing for a QB is to beat the safety, get the ball to his receiver before the safety gets there to make a play on the ball. He can't throw it short because it will be picked off by the trailing CB underneath. Can't throw it too much to the inside because of the safety. So the pass has to be in high, in front of the receiver, going out of bound. The acceptable results of that play is either the receiver catches it or it's out of bound. Anything else will most likely be bad. If you look at that play carefully you will appreciate both what the offensive and the defensive players are doing
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
That throw by Eli to Manningham is a perfect example of what it takes to make a completion on those sideline throws. The main thing for a QB is to beat the safety, get the ball to his receiver before the safety gets there to make a play on the ball. He can't throw it short because it will be picked off buy the trailing CB underneath. Can't throw it too much to the inside because of the safety. So the pass has to be in high, in front of the receiver, going out of bound. The acceptable results of that play is either the receiver catches it or it's out of bound. Anything else will most likely be bad. If you look at that play carefully you will appreciate both what the offensive and the defensive players are doing
that was a great pass

alex did a similar one i believe against the saints 2x one in first half another before he made that 25 yard run

he has gotton extremelly accurate on these throws where t the beginning of the year he was erratic on those thowrs
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
That throw by Eli to Manningham is a perfect example of what it takes to make a completion on those sideline throws. The main thing for a QB is to beat the safety, get the ball to his receiver before the safety gets there to make a play on the ball. He can't throw it short because it will be picked off buy the trailing CB underneath. Can't throw it too much to the inside because of the safety. So the pass has to be in high, in front of the receiver, going out of bound. The acceptable results of that play is either the receiver catches it or it's out of bound. Anything else will most likely be bad. If you look at that play carefully you will appreciate both what the offensive and the defensive players are doing
that was a great pass

alex did a similar one i believe against the saints 2x one in first half another before he made that 25 yard run

he has gotton extremelly accurate on these throws where t the beginning of the year he was erratic on those thowrs

Yeah, that was the best throw possibly made by the situation because of the closing safety. Even then Manningham had to kept body control, falling out of bound to catch the ball.

Smith made that throw to VD off of his back foot falling back. I got a chance to see it again. Perfect to VD.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM ]
Man if only we had AJ Green....but hey maybe we shock the world and pull a ATL and get Blackmon next year......
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Man if only we had AJ Green....but hey maybe we shock the world and pull a ATL and get Blackmon next year......

you mean this year

i wish we could pull a miracle and get blackmon this year or woods next year
Originally posted by 80849er4life:

you mean this year

i wish we could pull a miracle and get blackmon this year or woods next year
Make it happen Baalke!!!
That throw by Eli to Manningham is a perfect example of what it takes to make a completion on those sideline throws. The main thing for a QB is to beat the safety, get the ball to his receiver before the safety gets there to make a play on the ball. He can't throw it short because it will be picked off by the trailing CB underneath. Can't throw it too much to the inside because of the safety. So the pass has to be in high, in front of the receiver, going out of bound. The acceptable results of that play is either the receiver catches it or it's out of bound. Anything else will most likely be bad. If you look at that play carefully you will appreciate both what the offensive and the defensive players are doing

This is right on. I'd say the Eli-Manningham play is one of the most extreme examples of fitting the ball into a tight space AND it working. A lot of times that ball is dropped into the receiver and he can make a clean catch and go out of bounds. But you are right on ball placement, the intent is to drop it into a dangerous location so that it is the receivers ball or nobody's ball.
Originally posted by susweel:
They were wide open but #11 cant make those throws to anyone but VD and thats because VD burns any LB covering him by five yards.

I actually remember that Alex hit a number of those to Vernon when he only had a step or two. Likewise he hit Crabs on a few and I believe Ginn and Delanie once or twice. And, he overthrew some glaringly due to his fear of being intercepted by throwing short and just being jacked up and sailing the throw way over the target. I don't think it's black and white that Alex and our offense can't execute those plays. Timing is everything on them because the ball travels so far and for so long. The receiver and QB have to be totally on the same page, wired in, for them to work. Crab and Alex never really got there.

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Next9erDynasty:
Not sure that I would call 44 sacks adequate protection ...

most of it was when chilo was in and at beginning of the season where we were still leaning the offense

i think our protection is fine

WR is the major problem on this team now

Originally posted by crabman82:
this will be a 300 page thread soon. non-alex guys will say he cant hit those passes "once in 7 years" as 1 poster above put it, the guys who support alex will point to protection breaking down, comfort level with certain wr's etc. the truth is somewhere in the middle and very few are willing to budge off their stance.

Well said!
I still think Alex Smith has to be accounted for in the last game. 1-13 is poor in third down . Nobody is talking about that!!!!! If he had kept the chains moving # 10 WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO FUMBLED.
Originally posted by chuckin89:
I still think Alex Smith has to be accounted for in the last game. 1-13 is poor in third down . Nobody is talking about that!!!!! If he had kept the chains moving # 10 WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO FUMBLED.

we talked about it and if you listened to the talking heads they said no one was open

and thats why every mock draft and every analyist has us talking multiple WRs this offseason
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Feb 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM ]
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
49er rider when you say "watch the games again" do you mean go back to your "tivo" or directv" because thats not going to show them being open down the sideline since cameras only focus on the football not the Open wr's so i dont know wether to believe you or call you a liar ive been to a few games living here in the bay and for the most part our WR's get caught up from opposing defenders.. theres sometimes when they get open but alex has looked off of them by then since it took them 5 seconds to get some type of seperation.

This. I gave come on the zone after being at the games to see people talking about certain plays, and I tell myself that is not how ithappened. Yeahsure soso was open but the ball was in the air and his defender left him. The other is the camera rarely shows the over the top safety who was breaking that way.
If you gave come on the zone, you're getting a little to excited about all this.
Share 49ersWebzone