There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How do you see the offense in 2012

Heavy run-oriented play-calling early in games to establish an aggressive OL.
Shift to a 50-50 mix of run-pass play-calls in the middle part of games.
Pound the rock in Q4.
Field position and ball security continue to be of primary importance in play-calling.
More practice and in-game effectiveness with 3rd down conversions and red-zone TD's (ergo, fewer long FG attempts)..
More screen passes, utilizing Hunter.
98% of run play-calls will be between the tackles.
Leading receiver in any given game (WR, TE or RB) will have no more than 5 receptions, often less..
It depends on who we draft esp. Fleener. Offense could become quite dynamic. Roman needs work though esp. on 1st down gains/plays. Much will depend on WR's getting open and the OL will be critical as always (44 sacks last year). Hunter needs to be used more like Sproles and we need to find a RB who can run outside, off tackle AND inside to keep 8-9 men out of the box. Need to exploit 9 men boxes more with deep threats.
With a full off-season and a bigger receiving corps, we'll see a lot more passing. It's just harder to iron out the timing of a passing offense than a running offense. Plus, this will be the first time Smith has had a second year in a quarterback-friendly coach's system. I think we'll see more first down passing, Walsh style, to set up the run rather than what we saw last season. Harbaugh is not going to be predictable.
We wouldn't have gotten Manningham and Moss to run the ball would we? So I call more passing, most likely a 50-50 mixup with pass/run calls. From what I've seen, we get execution from Alex as long as he's comfortable, and he's seemed to get more relaxed as the season progressed. I was liking the combo of VD, Delanie, and Crabs so throwing Manningham and Moss in there just tells me that Alex shouldn't have a problem passing the ball, esp. with an off-season of work that will improve his game and chemistry with receivers.

All he has to do is be comfortable and run plays that he's familiar with. When his mind is clear and he makes his decision with confidence, we see the results, which are evidenced by a couple 4th quarter highlights he'd displayed.
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM ]
Mostly on TV as I live to far from Candlestick
Really hope to see the offense come out more aggressive next season for sure.
In the endzone
2007 patriots-like
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Heavy run-oriented play-calling early in games to establish an aggressive OL.
Shift to a 50-50 mix of run-pass play-calls in the middle part of games.
Pound the rock in Q4.
Field position and ball security continue to be of primary importance in play-calling.
More practice and in-game effectiveness with 3rd down conversions and red-zone TD's (ergo, fewer long FG attempts)..
More screen passes, utilizing Hunter.
98% of run play-calls will be between the tackles.
Leading receiver in any given game (WR, TE or RB) will have no more than 5 receptions, often less..

I agree with most here except the last two -- and especially the bolded.

98%? There's no way! I definitely think there will be WR/TE with more than 5 catches in some games. I don't think Alex can spread the ball quite as well as what you're assuming.

I hope to see more shifts, motion, defensive confusion creating by pre-snap movement. And thus quicker passing after clearing out that space. REALLY want to see more screens to Hunter!
I want to see more aggressive playcalling and more third down conversions. Everything else about our offense was pretty good. If we can improve in those two areas (which I think we will!), then our offense should take a big step forward. I would like to see our offense being the reason we win some games, and not our defense and ST.
Harbaugh creates the next NFL gimmick play, spams it to the SB, then discards it the following year, where the other 31 teams run some variation of it. Unsuccessfully.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I want to see more aggressive playcalling and more third down conversions. Everything else about our offense was pretty good. If we can improve in those two areas (which I think we will!), then our offense should take a big step forward. I would like to see our offense being the reason we win some games, and not our defense and ST.


Well said!
overall

16 less fg

16 more td

at least it better be
[ Edited by Allx9er on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Mostly on TV as I live to far from Candlestick

Thank you for making this smart ass comment so I didn't have to.
Obviously this depends on who we draft, but I think we are going to stick to run first as always...thats the bedrock of the Harbaugh version of the west coast.

Whats interesting to note though is that Moss and Manningham are deep threat types...as is Davis. My prediction is we see a lot of play action and bootleg off the handoffs and then uncork the deep ball. When you run as much as we do the corners and safeties have to choke up at least a little.

I am hoping for Fleener in the first as many are. It gives you the chance to line up in two tight end and end up with essentially 4 wide when you have him lined up opposite Davis. Heck we could even line up two tights with Hunter at RB and motion all three out and empty the back field. I also hope in the second or third we can find a big bodied move the chains WR. Crabs could be that guy, but he seems to be a little timid over the middle.

Long story short, I expect more of the same...but bigger and better. Motion pre snap, a lot of run, setting the table for play action that either goes deep or on a slant route to move the chains. New wrinkles could be a big bodied guy to run the classic quick hit slant of 49ers past, a second weapons grade tight end to really toy with defenses presnap, and more attempts to go deep.