There are 179 users in the forums

Do we bring in an old veteran WR?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we bring in an old veteran WR?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
put me down with cc. Word for word. And as mentioned above, DeSean Jackson, he would really good...anywhere else but here. Count on this. With a big raise, deSean will be wanting more big money within the yr. He would be a locker room disaster, and end up ruining what amazingly good cohesiveness JH has achieved. That is also why I look for craps to be moved on, in exchange for equal value. For something wacky, put craps and our #2 pick , up for a run at blackmon. If we had to throw in Kap, i would be in favor also, but that would not fly as it is lopsided quality wise.
agree with doc. the shaking of the earth underfoot was the reaction of alex haters and kap lovers with the docs suggestion to trade kap craps is on a short leash and i really think if he shows signs of not being a good team mate and poor off season work ethic, he will be gone
Vincent Jackson out of the Chargers, I do believe he would be a good fit.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
agree with all you say but he is to much. we have our own to take care of.I think the team will wait a few days for things to settle down like last year and then sign someone cheaper who can also upgrade our current staff. That should not be difficult. i do not think we will or should sign the first flashy thing with ribbons and bows. we will also draft one or two wide outs, save some money, upgrade the wide outs and have money to spend on keeping some of our established stars
Originally posted by cciowa:
agree with all you say but he is to much. we have our own to take care of.I think the team will wait a few days for things to settle down like last year and then sign someone cheaper who can also upgrade our current staff. That should not be difficult. i do not think we will or should sign the first flashy thing with ribbons and bows. we will also draft one or two wide outs, save some money, upgrade the wide outs and have money to spend on keeping some of our established stars
But that's not true. That wasn't a strategy it's just how it worked out. They went after Plax and Nnamdi as soon as free agency began. Those 2 guys just choose other teams. If both guys accepted those offers then folks would have a totally different perspective. You have to look beyond the final results in this case, b/c they did go after a big named free agent, and a guy with a checkered past. Plus last year's free agency period was very unique with the shortened free agency period. Flashy player or not i think if Baalke/JH think a guy can help this team they will go after that player. And if the player doesn't meet their price, they won't overpay and will move on. You are 100% correct about desean jackson.
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
REGGIE WAYNE PEOPLE!!!!!!! He can still frikkin play.

This! he will be cheap and looking to win another SB ring before he retires. He will also serve as a good veteran presence for Crabtree and whoever we pick up in the draft

Sign Wayne and Moss.......
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Umm, haven't we already tried that the last few years with little success?

Pretty much.

Isaac Bruce was like the only moderate success vet WR
I'm with Bill and GoalLine on this. I'm tired of this string of disappearing acts. Braylon being only the last in a horrible line.

But also, Crabtree's disappearance in the playoffs convinces me that we need to consider finding both starting receivers. Morgan may or not be #2. Therefore we should draft two potential WR starters. The FA should give us an OG or center.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by cciowa:
But that's not true. That wasn't a strategy it's just how it worked out. They went after Plax and Nnamdi as soon as free agency began. Those 2 guys just choose other teams. If both guys accepted those offers then folks would have a totally different perspective. You have to look beyond the final results in this case, b/c they did go after a big named free agent, and a guy with a checkered past. Plus last year's free agency period was very unique with the shortened free agency period. Flashy player or not i think if Baalke/JH think a guy can help this team they will go after that player. And if the player doesn't meet their price, they won't overpay and will move on. You are 100% correct about desean jackson.

I agree the strategy is simple, they have a VALUE for every FA. They will pursue players they think can help the team, BUT if the market drives the price beyond the value they've placed on the player they walk away and look for better value.

I am pretty sure the 9ers value if any for Moss and TO is pretty low. My guess is they that the top FA WR's value will be bloated at the start of FA and teams will pay more than the 9ers are willing to for Bowe, VJackson etc.... my thought is a player like Meachem might not only be a perfect fit, but he may slide under the radar below the Bowe's. Jackson's, Johnson, Colston and I think Reggie Wayne even will be among the most sought after. That is my perfect solution, as I think Meachem is a poor man's Bowe... and if given a chance to be a legit #1 could flourish much like Carlos Rogers did for the 9ers.

Vincent Jackson and Dewayne Bowe would be awesome, but I think Meachem will be a less expensive solution that can provide similar production and is a similar type player. There are some interesting players out there after the first tier, but most are not big physical WR's which is what I think the 9ers will target.
No.
i wouldnt mind bringin in a reggie wayne IF we get a huge project WR in the draft like hill or streeter

reggie wayne is still a decent WR is he a number 1? no he isnt but he is good enough to produce and at least take some attention away from crabs and VD
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter on facebook
SF knows where it needs help: 49ers expected to pursue a free-agent WR and use one of their top draft picks on another WR.

Mostly you have to draft the skill positions on offense to be successful. You can have success through FA with OL and defense.
feeeever, are you saying that we will bring in a #1 WR in FA AND keep craps as a #1paywise? I agree with the FA and also the draft pick, but do you really see us paying two #1s including a FA? To me, that is a case for trying to get equal compensation plus a player for craps. moving him on, and then the FA gets #1 money.
Just Another Spammer
[ Edited by English on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:18 AM ]
Manningham or Eddie Royal. Both are about 25 years old. Manningham has SB experience. Royal is an excellent kick returner, and was a capable receiver with a normal passing game.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
If we'd signed T.O. before the playoffs. I bet our WRs would've had more than 1 catch in the NFC Championship. I'm all for giving him a shot. Even now, he's probably better than any WR on our roster. Amazing how quickly it's forgotten that he was better than most #1 WRs just 1 season ago.
Share 49ersWebzone