There are 213 users in the forums

What is the Wiser Use of Cap Space On Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the Wiser Use of Cap Space On Defense

I say go get Super Mario! Culliver should be able to start. Plus, Rogers is 31.
I think Williams will go to a team where he's back to playing DE. I'm not sold on Culliver starting. I wouldn't mind Williams at all but I do see that happening.
4-3?
Two very good players are better IMO than one player that would have to play out of his position either as an olb or a 3-4 end
Originally posted by elguapo:
Two very good players are better IMO than one player that would have to play out of his position either as an olb or a 3-4 end

Wade moved Super Mario to OLB to start the year and he had 5 sacks in 5 games before getting hurt
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think Williams will go to a team where he's back to playing DE. I'm not sold on Culliver starting. I wouldn't mind Williams at all but I do see that happening.

This, he wants to play in a 4-3, period. If he wanted to stay in a 3-4, he might as well stay with the Texans.
With the two options you provided, Mario is the easy answer.
Keep Rogers and Brooks, draft depth.

Plus Mario will want a 4-3 team.
well,a 4-3 team it is then!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Wade moved Super Mario to OLB to start the year and he had 5 sacks in 5 games before getting hurt
With those 2 secenario's, I would love to have Mario. Another force on the other side gives us an even better pass rush. And thats not to diminsh how good I think Brooks and Carlos are. I think players just want to win so the 3-4 isn't a big deal. But he is winning with the Texans and already playing in a 3/4 so I don't see why we would get him.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This, he wants to play in a 4-3, period. If he wanted to stay in a 3-4, he might as well stay with the Texans.

Except the Texans just made the playoffs this year for the first time ever - and they barely made it. Plus it took a year where the Colts had no QB, and the Titans were in transition, for them to make it.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Except the Texans just made the playoffs this year for the first time ever - and they barely made it. Plus it took a year where the Colts had no QB, and the Titans were in transition, for them to make it.

They also did that with a rookie third string QB. They had the best record in the AFC before shaub got hurt and without Williams and a healthy Andre Johnson. They are legit.
Super Mario would be fun to have but IMO not a substantial upgrade. Who would fall off into coverage on a RB or TE between Aldon and Mario? A smaller 240-250 pnd OLB with good speed & hips would probably help more with our current roster. With Mario, it would be hard/impossible to run on us or have enough time for the long ball, but the defense would get eaten up in the intermediate passing game. But if this team had more range in its secondary, Mario would put this D on a legen...wait for it.... -Dary level.
I dont see the Texans not franchising Mario. They seem like a pretty smart team.

If they dont, then hell yeah get him. He had 5 sacks in less than 5 games at OLB. He seemed comfortable standing up.

Wow, just saw that his franchise tag will be 23 million. If he and Manning are both on the free agent market, it could be the craziest free agency we've ever seen.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM ]
Originally posted by KID9R:
They also did that with a rookie third string QB. They had the best record in the AFC before shaub got hurt and without Williams and a healthy Andre Johnson. They are legit.

They are a "good" team, sure. They've been a "good" team for awhile. But there is still a big difference between what they did this year, and what we did. That was the question, why would he come here instead of staying with Houston. 13-3 and the #2 seed Vs. barely making the playoffs in a horrible division - with six games against the Colts, Titans, and Jaguars.
Share 49ersWebzone