LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 490 users in the forums

What is the Wiser Use of Cap Space On Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the Wiser Use of Cap Space On Defense

Williams is projected to be the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.....
Originally posted by oldman9er:
(1) concede that it's highly UNlikely to happen

(2) Though this wouldn't be simply "accommodating one player." This would be accommodating all on our front seven.

It helps out our pass-rush in a pass-happy league, yes.

But like I said in my other post... Who knows if Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, and whoever we have at the other OLB position can make the transition to being a 4-3 LB? Bowman and Willis are elite players and should be able to make it work, but who knows how less effective they'll be. We've been so stout against the run for a LONG time and it's because (1) our front 7 is very comfortable with their current scheme and (2) they're very comfortable with one another.

I think it's a bad idea. Mario Williams will demand the highest contract among defensive players. So not only would we have to commit massive globs of money, but we'd have to re-arrange the entire defense.

To me, it's very high risk, high reward, when we already have a stellar defense.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
(1) concede that it's highly UNlikely to happen

(2) Though this wouldn't be simply "accommodating one player." This would be accommodating all on our front seven.

It helps out our pass-rush in a pass-happy league, yes.

But like I said in my other post... Who knows if Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, and whoever we have at the other OLB position can make the transition to being a 4-3 LB? Bowman and Willis are elite players and should be able to make it work, but who knows how less effective they'll be. We've been so stout against the run for a LONG time and it's because (1) our front 7 is very comfortable with their current scheme and (2) they're very comfortable with one another.

I think it's a bad idea. Mario Williams will demand the highest contract among defensive players. So not only would we have to commit massive globs of money, but we'd have to re-arrange the entire defense.

To me, it's very high risk, high reward, when we already have a stellar defense.

Agree about the outrageous price tag that Mario would command...we simply can't do that. It's just a momentary and hypothetical fantasyland.

To our LBs....say what? Our boys would be even more free to roam... even more studly with a 4 man line keeping them clean.
This changing to a 4-3 stuff is just dumb, If for some reason we do sign Williams (my guess is that wont happen) he will play in a 3-4 he played in 5 games and had 5 sacks, playing as an OLB, no reason to change to a 4-3.
stop being blinded by numbers. Yes Williams had 5 sacks in 5 games but he still isnt nearly as well suited for the 3-4. Just look at what the Texans' OLB's did without him
, 2 10 sack guys.

This is the latest in a never ending cycle of noob fans wanting to sign NAMES! You don't build championship teams by overpaying in free agency. Did Nate Clements teach you nothing? Justin Smith has been a rare exception to the rule but you build through the draft. Period.

How many 80 million dollar free agents did the world champion Giants have on their team?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I say go get Super Mario! Culliver should be able to start. Plus, Rogers is 31.

4-3 DE, will people stop bringing this retarded s**t up. No Mario Williams is not coming to the 49ers, no they aren't signing any big name free agents that get people's panties soaking wet, yes they will act responsibly, re-sign most of their own guys and then bring in a few under-the-radar free agents, think "high value, low price" guys.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
stop being blinded by numbers. Yes Williams had 5 sacks in 5 games but he still isnt nearly as well suited for the 3-4. Just look at what the Texans' OLB's did without him
, 2 10 sack guys.

This is the latest in a never ending cycle of noob fans wanting to sign NAMES! You don't build championship teams by overpaying in free agency. Did Nate Clements teach you nothing? Justin Smith has been a rare exception to the rule but you build through the draft. Period.

How many 80 million dollar free agents did the world champion Giants have on their team?
I watched his 5 games this year, thanks to DTV. I never said he was more suited to play the 3-4, nor did I say we should sign him, im speaking in hypothetical terms. Williams didn't play enough games to say whether or not he could be more effective in a 4-3 versus a 3-4, but getting 5 sacks in his first five games in a new system is pretty remarkable. Point being I dont think a team that was regarded as the best defense for most of the year, switches to a 4-3 because of one player, especially since he showed that he can be pretty effective in a 3-4.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
This changing to a 4-3 stuff is just dumb

It's about as dumb as someone suggesting that Sopoaga would be an upgrade to Aubrayo Franklin !

Oh...wait.
Well Rogers is 31. He won't do it for many more years. And people on the WZ are not realistic about that. And losing Brooks is not a loss because Mario Williams would take his place and be a huge upgrade. So yes I would go get Mario. If you have a chance to get a player of that magnitude you do it.
It's about as dumb as someone suggesting that Sopoaga would be an upgrade to Aubrayo Franklin !

Oh...wait.

No, its incredibly idiotic. Fangio has been calling 3-4 defenses pretty much all his career. 49ers aren't going to change their entire defensive setup and philosophy due to one (overpriced) free agent. Mario Williams is not coming to San Francisco, the sooner people move on from this stupid s**t, the better.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well Rogers is 31. He won't do it for many more years. And people on the WZ are not realistic about that. And losing Brooks is not a loss because Mario Williams would take his place and be a huge upgrade. So yes I would go get Mario. If you have a chance to get a player of that magnitude you do it.

You could've said that about Charles Woodson too though. He's 36 and just starting to slow down. Rogers is only going to be 31, has only 7 years of NFL playing time, and hasn't been injured overly much. I think he's got some time left in the game. I would keep him. But if we can't I'd make a run at Brandon Carr if available, or Aaron Ross.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

You could've said that about Charles Woodson too though. He's 36 and just starting to slow down. Rogers is only going to be 31, has only 7 years of NFL playing time, and hasn't been injured overly much. I think he's got some time left in the game. I would keep him. But if we can't I'd make a run at Brandon Carr if available, or Aaron Ross.

Woodson is an exception. People always use that example. But name another over 35 DB who is really good. It's rare. You don't pay a lot that late. And Rogers had 1 good year his entire life. Most other teams gave up on him. I wouldn't overpay him. He's on the downside and he had 1 great year ever. Mostly as a product of our front 7 I think. But he did improve his ball skills and catching the interceptions. He improved somewhat. I wouldn't get carried away. I'd say $6 million per for Rogers. If he wants more let him go.
we're not signing Mario...in fact...with the $30M we have we're going to have to get creative to get all our guys back. ppl need to understand the 49ers are a great team right now. we're not a team that needs to go out and spend a billion dollars on one player. besides, it's not like winning the offseason equates to anything, look at the Eagles. Remember how mad everyone was last year when we didn't make a splash? I just hope everyone chills this year and let's Baalke/Harbaugh do their thing. Keep the band together, draft for depth, hopefully we can nab a cheap vet or 2 when the market settles and upgrade the team.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Woodson is an exception. People always use that example. But name another over 35 DB who is really good. It's rare. You don't pay a lot that late. And Rogers had 1 good year his entire life. Most other teams gave up on him. I wouldn't overpay him. He's on the downside and he had 1 great year ever. Mostly as a product of our front 7 I think. But he did improve his ball skills and catching the interceptions. He improved somewhat. I wouldn't get carried away. I'd say $6 million per for Rogers. If he wants more let him go.

Walt Harris before he busted his leg. Nate Clements is 32 this last year and played a lot better for Cinci than he ever did for us. Rogers was always a good cover corner he just had bad hands and didn't come up with INTs, so teams didn't want him because they didn't think he could make plays for them. I would do my best to keep him. I know we might not, but if we can I would atleast try. If not spend the money somewhere else, although that'd be a little dissappointing.
It took me a while, but I am a complete believer in this FO. If they dont do anything or if they do everything this off-season, I'm on board.

So far, building through the draft and being very selective in FA has worked out well. The one time we went all out, it back-fired...(Clements).
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone