There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Screw it Let's just go all defense!!

This thread has inspired me.


I think I might start the "Screw it, let's go all special teams" thread. What if we poored all our cap money into special teams. That's got to be good for 3 tds a game.
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
I'd much rather go the opposite, full offense.

Our defense is already championship caliber even if we do lose a little bit of talent. Having a decent offense will more than make up for any losses. We got as far as we did with basically bargain bin guys in the secondary. There's no reason to spend a ton on the defense.

Stats like 3 and 13 on 3rd downs against the Giants tells the story, but 3rd downs and redzone conversions was an issue not just in that game but all year.

Our offense paired with most other defenses wouldn't have made the playoffs. Even if Alex had his "clutch" moments in some games the offense still flat-lined at way too many times which also counts as missed opportunities. I don't think the coaches blame Alex, especially with all the injuries to his receivers, so the smart thing to do is surround him with way better talent. Crabtree still hasn't developed any sort of chemistry with him so hopefully we can get a true #1 in here and stop crossing our fingers every year that crab is the #1 we're looking for.

One thing that's interesting is pretty much every incredible passing team somehow has found a gem of a #1 either undrafted or in the late 6/7 rounds. Colston(7th), Cruz(undrafted), Welker(undrafted), (a younger) Donald Driver(7th). Of course that doesn't mean that that's the only place you draft guys. We have enough of a need at it that I'd spend several picks on WRs and also try to be active in FA if any big names are really available.

Right Guard is another huge need for us whether we are able to keep snyder or not. Rachal needs to go and we need depth behind snyder(or someone even better considering the right side was still vulnerable some games even with snyder). If we can't get a big name WR FA, a big FA guard like Carl Nicks would be an amazing addition and absolutely solidify the right side. What if Alex had as much time to throw as Brees?
[ Edited by mike on Feb 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM ]
I think you have a very good point. As they say, defense wins Super Bowls.
Mike, I like your idea of a guy like Carl Nicks, a real possibility, but even if we DID have him, for most of the season after Morgan and Ginn went down, there was just NO ONE to throw to. So, go ahead and see what we could get nicks for, but we still have to have a good/great hands guy as first pick and if that is Fleener, we still need to get another one or two WRs into camp. My feeling is that with coach's 8-10 yrs experience in college, he has way better knowledge , firsthand, than many scouts, and we know he has filed away those guys for future use. I can see us drafting two hands guys, getting a Bowe in FA, and then bringing into camp, as many as 6, maybe 7 or 8 WRs and see if any one of them turns out to be that gem. I think Harbaugh would be able to pull this off, in that any WR he has seen in college over last decade, he is going to remember the more recent ones. He could really make a difference there in unknown WRs, as to who to invite for tryouts in camp. One thing for certain. Baalke and Coach got us a truckload of talent this yr, and by the time spring PS comes, he will have a full stable of good hands guys whether they play TE or WR. Just so that they can get open and catch. That's it.
offense baby, offense. we only need depth on defense. maybe a corner but pretty much just depth. WR's, RB, OG and TE because harbaugh and roman love em. thats what i hope we get
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Mike, I like your idea of a guy like Carl Nicks, a real possibility, but even if we DID have him, for most of the season after Morgan and Ginn went down, there was just NO ONE to throw to. So, go ahead and see what we could get nicks for, but we still have to have a good/great hands guy as first pick and if that is Fleener, we still need to get another one or two WRs into camp. My feeling is that with coach's 8-10 yrs experience in college, he has way better knowledge , firsthand, than many scouts, and we know he has filed away those guys for future use. I can see us drafting two hands guys, getting a Bowe in FA, and then bringing into camp, as many as 6, maybe 7 or 8 WRs and see if any one of them turns out to be that gem. I think Harbaugh would be able to pull this off, in that any WR he has seen in college over last decade, he is going to remember the more recent ones. He could really make a difference there in unknown WRs, as to who to invite for tryouts in camp. One thing for certain. Baalke and Coach got us a truckload of talent this yr, and by the time spring PS comes, he will have a full stable of good hands guys whether they play TE or WR. Just so that they can get open and catch. That's it.
That's why I said Nicks IF we can't get a big named WR FAs. I highly doubt we can get bowe, sorry to crush the dreams but he's just not going to even hit the market KC is a playoff bound team when they're healthy and they really don't have many other big names to worry about signing.

Truckload of WR picks which cost nearly nothing(plus resign morgan and get crab to a f**king training camp), get the o-line the best it has ever been and give alex time to throw to those talented picks. I think people undervalue the play of the o-line so much when judging how well quarterbacks are playing. Alex's confidence is tied directly to whether or not he trusts his line. As much as Davis' play improved when Snyder stepped in, having a pro-bowl veteran next to him would really bring him to that next level. Iupati also is bound to improve and that line will be solid.

As far as Harbaugh's experience watching undrafted guys, it still baffles me that he never signed Baldwin, who he saw firsthand at stanford. I think he might undervalue those Stanford guys knowing Luck is throwing to them. But I am still confident he can bring a ton of talent in knowing that WR is a huge issue. I also agree with the fleener pick, or someone like him. 2 big TE set would be really fun to watch.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM ]
We need WRs.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Just out of curiousity, what are the numbers on signing Brooks vs signing Mario? Much better shot getting a ring here than in Houston.

You make it seem like Houston is chump change now...they did everything they did last year while Matt Schaub (their starting QB), Andre Johnson (starting WR), Mario Williams (starting DE) ALL missed significant time and are huge core pieces for a team that was a few plays away from beating the Ravens in Baltimore. They have a very impressive defense (apparently still one of the most underrated in the league with the way folks on this board and others talk about them), an impressive backfield and a QB-WR combination that has the potential to be one of the all time great combos. Not to mention they don't have a shabby OL and TEs too. Houston is a good football team but unfortunately for them, when Mario went down they found guys that came in (Barwin and the other guy, forgetting his name, Reed I think?) and played very well. So Mario will be gone but not because of the ring factor. He'll be gone because Houston won't be willing to give him the $$$ that he'll want. And I doubt we will either.

COHESION COHESION COHESION! Keep the D together, they aren't the problem and build through the draft/see if we can get ourselves ONE WR in FA (out of all the big names, I'm just hoping for one!)
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,189
Originally posted by GameOver:
You make it seem like Houston is chump change now...they did everything they did last year while Matt Schaub (their starting QB), Andre Johnson (starting WR), Mario Williams (starting DE) ALL missed significant time and are huge core pieces for a team that was a few plays away from beating the Ravens in Baltimore. They have a very impressive defense (apparently still one of the most underrated in the league with the way folks on this board and others talk about them), an impressive backfield and a QB-WR combination that has the potential to be one of the all time great combos. Not to mention they don't have a shabby OL and TEs too. Houston is a good football team but unfortunately for them, when Mario went down they found guys that came in (Barwin and the other guy, forgetting his name, Reed I think?) and played very well. So Mario will be gone but not because of the ring factor. He'll be gone because Houston won't be willing to give him the $$$ that he'll want. And I doubt we will either.

COHESION COHESION COHESION! Keep the D together, they aren't the problem and build through the draft/see if we can get ourselves ONE WR in FA (out of all the big names, I'm just hoping for one!)

ITA. imo, we finished as the NFL's best team, but a healthy Houston may have been even better. I'd even say they likely would've been better. Look at how they ran all over the Ravens, shut down Ray Rice, and only lost by 7 despite the muffed punt inside the 10 that led to a TD and 3 INTs.
Hey guys. He's not saying f*ck the offense. He's saying let's keep our potential number 1 rated defense together and build the offense thru the draft.

You guys want to bring up the Giants and why they beat us. Tell me how they built that offense? It wasn't by spending 40 to 60 mil on one receiver was it? If we keep the defense intact we're not going to have glaring holes in the D that have to be addressed and instead we can focus on bringing in the right offensive draft picks.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 13, 2012 at 6:45 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Hey guys. He's not saying f*ck the offense. He's saying let's keep our potential number 1 rated defense together and build the offense thru the draft.

You guys want to bring up the Giants and why they beat us. Tell me how they built that offense? It wasn't by spending 40 to 60 mil on one receiver was it? If we keep the defense intact we're not going to have glaring holes in the D that have to be addressed and instead we can focus on bringing in the right offensive draft picks.


No, the OP said, "To hell with all this offense. We could dominate again on defense." Won't interpret that as saying no offense (although what's the name of this thread?) but perhaps not using much of the cap on offensive FAs? Understand the sentiment but trying for balance is better than going all out for defense. NYGs have WRs who were a first round, third round and Cruz...an anomoly. If Kilgore is an OK backup for Snyder they may only need help at WR on offense and the rest of the FAs could be D. With the 9ers being so close to being an excellent team in all three areas it might be better to bring in a FA WR who would be NFL ready than just taking a crapshoot in the draft. I would prefer they get WRs in both the draft and FAcy.

This does not mean they shouldn't keep the D as strong as possible. If Rogers is true to his word and gives the 9ers a discount they may be able to keep him and bring in a WR...not that I have a clue what is possible in cap terms!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM ]
duplicate post.

[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM ]
Gameover, let's not get overheated here. Spending some 10 painful yrs in Houston as a Oiler fan, they always remain a team I follow, tho very infrequently. And yes, they did have a crushing # of injuries at really key positions by big time players. My question was "how much does it take to sign Mario vs re-signing Brooks?". If it is close, then I would look at it . As far as calling Houston chopped liver, no, not by any means. What I did intimate was that at SFO we had:

Best tandem of ILBs in league, p-52 again all pro

Best front 7 in league, with Justin ALL PRO and a virtual unknown, the other mr Smith, teaming with Justin to make best Passrushing tandem in NFL.

D backfield a glaring weakness early on, ended up last 6 games of season as one of best anywhere, 2 guys with 13 INTs and team had what 23 INTs? This group plus front 7 gave 49ers BEST D in LEAGUE. Also D backfield gets acknowledged as the one team you don't want to go over middle for a pass, as SF hitters may turn out your lites.

D has best TO ratio in league.

ST BEST in LEAGUE, with a net 15-20 yd differential on every punt exchange. 49ers O ends up frequently starting on our own 35 yd line.

OL, porous for 10 yrs, learns how to protect qB, and open up lanes for RBs. New star on horizon , Hunter. SF becomes fearsome pulling OT/OG run team. By season's end, OL has done a 180 from yrs begining.

Qb, a weak position, has HC/OC/QB coach who brings alex along, and he ends up leading team to 14 Ws, 8 more than last yr.
Coach Harbaugh is landslide Coach of yr, but more importantly, players really want to play for him. He will get more accolades as COY in future.

Baalke, thru removing dead wood, Nate, Aubray,Heitmann, Baas, Nedney, et al, and securing ALL DONE, Rogers, Culliver, Miller, Akers, Costanzo, plus backup Qb, gets well deserved GM of YR

Owners miraculously find Yu who becomes an owner, who secures $850 mil loan, plus $200 Mil NFL loan. New stadium to open 1 yr early , in 2014. As an aside, Jed fires BM, noln, mcCLown, and hires baalke, and Harbaugh. Front office goes from liability and league wide joke to outstanding.

DC has career yr, OC calls game for 14 Ws, ST coach best in league, OL coaches successful in completely redoing OL ,D backfield Coach ends up with one of best DB groups in league, leading to best D in league .

Qb gets 14 Ws despite having only a #4 and #5 WR. We have no #1, #2, nor #3 WR, except maybe for Morgan at # 2or 3. In effect, 14 Ws come with virtually NO WR help.
#1 WR by paygrade puts up circus catches, but overall plays up to a #4 WR, maybe #5. This is a well oiled machine almost going to SB, with no starting WRs. Everyone in NFL knows SF is 2 or 3 WRs away from being in title game again...and winning. QB ends up with 104 QB rating in NFC title game.

Brooks is up for resigning or FA. We need him, but if $$$ are close, a look at Mario and maybe a run at him is a very interesting possibility.

Why, in view of above, would Mario NOT be interested in at least looking SF over? Look at bolded above, and good as Houston was when healthy, they would have a hard time matching Niners after 2011 season.
There are an awful lot of Best in League noted above. A ring looks like a very realistic possibility , and based on above, much more likely here than Houston. We NEED only 2 WRs (great hands guys, so TE could be in mix), and an upgrade at OG backup. Mario here would be an unexpected gold mine, but remainder of team, less Brooks, would need to be resigned. As for WRs, bet the farm on Coach and Baalke bringing in not 2 hands guys, but maybe as many as 3, maybe 4. Oh, and craps won't be here by start of season. Maybe he could be part of package to Houston to help in getting Mario here. We don' t need Mario. It would seem, however, he would "need" us if he is looking for that ring. He won't make the impact 2-3 WRs will, but with Mario, this D would become, well...lethal, if not illegal.



I like the approach above, but I think we resign our own guys on Offense..The only changes I'd make is to go FA at RG and WR..
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
franchise Goldson, sign Mario Williams, draft Freener at TE, resign Morgan and Ginn, sign a cheaper FA corner, draft a cb round 2, draft a WR round 3 or 4, draft a rb round 3 or 4, resign Alex Smith--but no more than $6-7 million a year---if higher--let him go. Resign Brooks for 3-4 million--if not larry Grant for similar.

everyday it changes--this is todays version.


I like this idea, I wouldnt mind doing this. Mario Williams would give us another Aldon Smith, and we'd essentially have 2 guys that cant drop/cover. Essentially a 5-2 defense. I'd be for getting a true SAM LB'er though, but Brooks would be my 1st. choice. let Smith be our Elephant guy. On Offense, I'm praying DeCastro is still there at pick 30, but if not, then go FA at RG. We can draft a WR or a CB then.
...