There are 201 users in the forums

Screw it Let's just go all defense!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
My goodness, a fool if someone disagrees with you? Last year the NYGs were 17th in points allowed. This year they were lower. Yes they played better toward the end of the year...but they are still not better defensive teams than Baltimore or SF, who were beaten in the playoffs. Why? Because they were not balanced by equally good offenses as the Giants were.

This is just ignorant. The Giants didn't win in the playoffs because of their high-powered offense, the Giants won because they shutdown the two best offenses in football and locked down their other opponent(the 49ers), even moreso. Their record for the season was 9-7, that has no bearing on what happens in the playoffs and their defense played at a tremendous level in the playoffs and was the reason for them winning the Super Bowl.
Gavin, craps + our #2 pick( i had suggested #1, but like your idea better) for a guy, Williams, wanting big $$ from Steelers is something i have floated a week or so. It would be a terrific coup, in that Williams is a #1 WR, and our #1 WR paywise is closer to a #4 or #5. Surely steelers have seen craps circus catches, which everyone remembers, plus he was #7 pick overall (?) in draft. Seems like a good trade for steelers if we sweeten it up. They get craps for williams, plus our 2nd . Let them endure craps' me, me, me, and disappearance in late season/ playoffs. Getting craps gone for equal value is a huge plus for 9ers, plus we would actually get a real #1 WR. I love your improvement of my idea.

9ersLiferinchicago, re: fleener....If he is the best receiver at pick #30, then hey, a guy who catches the ball, regardless of where he lines up(TE or WR) is the guy we need. If he is best receiver at our pick, then I say take him. After Blackmon, the quality at WR falls off steeply. We need a hands man... a REALLY good hands man. IF Fleener is better than the best WR on the board, jeez, just take him. A guy who can catch the ball is what we are so desperate for. I don't care where he lines up, nor do I care if he is a TE or WR. What I do care about is a) can he get open, and b) can he catch...does he have great hands. If so, that is my man whatever type of receiver he is called...TE or WR.

Solidg2000, dtg_9er is a wise, thotful, and well respected poster/member , and is nobody's fool. He has written many insightful posts and threads, all well thot out and or documented. You may be right...or not... about the NYG being in top 10 in D if not for injuries, but i think your enthusiasm got the best of you and you inadvertently said something impolite and thotless in the heat of posting that you really didn't mean. Calling someone a fool just because he disagrees with you is inappropriate on this board...or elsewhere for that matter. Were I in your shoes, I would write the man an apology even tho i am certain you didn't mean what you wrote. We probably have all been in your shoes, and ended up recanting or apologizing for something we wish we hadn't said. This seems like maybe one of those times.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM ]
Just out of curiousity, what are the numbers on signing Brooks vs signing Mario? Much better shot getting a ring here than in Houston.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Hope everyone forgets Kyle Williams the PR and remembers Kyle Williams, the guy who scored a 56 yard TD off a 10yd comeback route vs the Rams, the guy who scored the first TD for us against the Cowboys, the guy who had one of the best stiff arms of the season.

You were able to come up with 3 good examples over the course of 18 games.

You could add about 1000 yards, 100 catches and 15 TDs to that short list of things he did well and he'd STILL be the guy who had the biggest hand in ruining a Super Bowl season.

This is the problem with many 49ers fans. They refuse to acknowledge when someone f*cks up (unless it's Michael Crabtree, of course, in which case people jump all over his ass).

only three because he ddnt get his well-deserved Playtime. but yes, he fumbled, roger craig fumbled. Wes Welker dropped the ball, im not trying to say he ddnt mess up, because yes, he did. The point is, when players "f*ck up", it leaves that feeling of "unfinished business" in them and they comeback better because they work their ass off all season.
I only WISH Crabtree was playing at a high enough level to carry the weight of the Niner Nation on his shoulders, but he's not. I wish he could have been the person to blame because he dropped a ball, but no. All he's responsible for is 1 rec for 3 yards or sumthn like that.
Yeah I agree with not signing a FA wideout due to over paying a player. But in terms of all defense. That's a No! Were looking to build a Dynasty, not the 2000 Ravens
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Yeah I agree with not signing a FA wideout due to over paying a player. But in terms of all defense. That's a No! Were looking to build a Dynasty, not the 2000 Ravens

well put

well put

bring our D back, brooks, rogers, goldson, its going to cost alot...... then look into the draft for WR if not find a gem in free agency for a decent price WR
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Alex Smith is our QB.
Gore and Hunter are the backs.
Morgan and Tedd Ginn will sign cheap
Crabtree is back.
Just a draft some wideouts.

Instead of paying for free agent wideouts. Lets upgrade the secondary
we can get a younger fa corner than Rogers like Tracy Porter.
Resign Brooks and Grant and franchise Goldson. Dump Haralson and sign Robert Mathis

or we could dump Brooks and sign Mario Williams. To hell with all this offense.
We could dominate again on defense. If Trent Dilfer and Brad Smith can win a SuperBowl, I know Alex Smith can with
that defense. What do you think?

I like the idea of focusing on signing our Deffensive guys and waiting to take a WR in the draft. I think the best thing we can do is keep this D together. I would try and resign as many of our guys as we could befor looking outside of the organization. In my mind the big ticket signings would just be a hinderence in obtaining this goal. If there is anything left after resinging most of out guys then I would say look to other teams FA's. I would also put the most emphasis on reaching deals with Rogers and Goldson. I love Ahmad Brooks, but I think we can find a comparable player, where as loosing Roger and Goldson would hurt us a lot more.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
NY was banged up on defense all season until the last few games. If their defense would of been healthy all year, they're a top 10 defense
Your a fool if you think other wise!

And besides the SB should of been 49ers vs Ravens anyways! Both NY and NE backed into the super bowl

Peeps are allowed to have different opinions. Peeps are even allowed to be wrong if they want to be.

Be nice.
My point (perhaps overstated) is that the two teams with the weakest Ds in the playoffs were the eventual super bowl pair. They beat SF and Baltimore to get there--arguably the two best defensive teams in the NFL last year (Pitts eventually had better stats). I get tired of simplistic "truisms" that overstate the importance of one aspect of a sport.

Those who consistently tout the D over O are just defensaphiles...to coin a word.

Edit--thank you pasodoc. I have made some statements that were overblown at times but in this case we can leave it where it stands. Solidg did say "Those who think..." Which gives a bit of grace to a rude remark.

As for Phoenix--a NYGiant fan? I actually prefer this to some backhanded support that sometimes gets a bit insufferable (unlike Pasodoc's that is appreciated.).
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM ]

Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:

well put

bring our D back, brooks, rogers, goldson, its going to cost alot...... then look into the draft for WR if not find a gem in free agency for a decent price WR

Thats the best part about this year's draft. There WILL be GOOD recievers that WONT get drafted.
I still think d jax will be cheaper than normal because of this past season. Might be able to sign him in a plan like this.
i asked it before and will ask it again. What is cost differential of signing brooks vs signing mario? Anyone know or wish to hazard a guess?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
i asked it before and will ask it again. What is cost differential of signing brooks vs signing mario? Anyone know or wish to hazard a guess?

doesnt mario get injured more? Id rather baalke keep going with his cheap vs expensive route. get 2 cheap solid players vs 1 vet who could pack it in when he gets his money.
This thread has inspired me.

I think I might start the "Screw it, let's go all special teams" thread. What if we poored all our cap money into special teams. That's got to be good for 3 tds a game.
Share 49ersWebzone