LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 218 users in the forums

Screw it Let's just go all defense!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Gameover, let's not get overheated here. Spending some 10 painful yrs in Houston as a Oiler fan, they always remain a team I follow, tho very infrequently. And yes, they did have a crushing # of injuries at really key positions by big time players. My question was "how much does it take to sign Mario vs re-signing Brooks?". If it is close, then I would look at it . As far as calling Houston chopped liver, no, not by any means. What I did intimate was that at SFO we had:

I understand. I misread your post taking it as Houston being far less superior than our own 49ers. I have several friends, including a former roommate, who are all huge Texans fans and a couple of which also live in Houston. They have all communicated to me that Mario will not be back based on how well Barwin and Reed filled in for him and how much he will be asking (they said the number is rumored to be $15+ million) and there will DEFINITELY be suitors for this young (27 years old) gun. I don't think he will take a discount to come play with us (I don't see us offering him $15 mill/year) and word is the Bucs, Jags, and Bills will all throw large sums of money at him (and make them his top potential suitors thus far).

This guy isn't a 34 year old with only a couple years left. True he is coming off a hell of an injury but someone WILL overpay for him and I hope that someone is not us. Brooks won't cost us more than a third of what Mario will get on the open market (the dude has the potential of becoming the highest paid D player in the league). I think its silly for us to think about going after any big name FAs that isn't a safety or a WR and that's only because we might lose a few safeties of our own (Williams, Smith, Goldson) and we desperately need productive WRs (for which there is a pretty deep FA class coming out where I can see something similar to last year's CB class happening where a guy like Rogers was gotten by us, I see a Garcon filling that role this year).

Just my 2 cents...
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It's him saying let's keep our defensive guys instead of spending money on a high price receiver.

BTW it's not just the Giants it's pretty much every good receiving core besides the Patriots.

Packers, Saints, Colts, Steelers, Giants, Chargers, Eagles Building your receiving core thru the draft is the more logical way to go. Bringing in Colston or Jackson sounds great but it's Boldin going to the Ravens. You rarely get what you pay for. He goes from 10 targets to 6 targets a game, and he just doesn't look like the same guy that he was in that high powered offense.

I think the smarter strategy is to keep the D intact and watch the offense gradually build. There really isn't very many instances of the 2007 Patriots were you go from a balanced offense to a juggarnaut overnight. Even if we do bring in Colston or Jackson our offense is not going to be gangbusters.

Got it. Not opposed to this thinking in general but this team seems primed to be very good for the next several years. There are two spots on offense that need immediate help--RG and WR.

The D is somewhat different. The key guys are locked up--Willis, J Smith, and some of the others, but they do need to try and keep improving. My thinking on the DBs is that Fangio and Donatel are very good at scheming so that the DBs are not left one on one often with no help. It helps that the three man line can take care of the run game and that the MLBs are truly gifted and fast. Could the coaches have the same success if Rogers leaves? Goldson? Not sure but have confidence that Harbaugh and Baalke do know.

The good news is that for the first time I can remember the depth in the draft corresponds to the 9ers needs--WR and CB.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:26 AM ]
I wouldn't be mad or anything if we went with this approach. But the fact is our D was better than most if not every other team in the leagues anyway. So we get rid of Brooks and bring in Mario and we lose a little in the coverage area. maybe we upgrade at CB also but we would really need to hit on a WR with our 1st or 2nd round pick. This team needs to get better at RG also, imagine if we had that defense but couldn't score any points at all.
This is kinda off topic, but i would not be surprised to see the niners draft a safety with their first pick.
Originally posted by vaden:
The rules have changed since Dilfer and Johnson won SBs, and after seeing how defenses held the elite QBs in check this last playoffs, I think refs will be even more slanted toward offense next season. NFL doesn't want 20-17 SBs and Championship games. The ratings were still amazing, because the NFL has been on an upward trajectory for years, but they would've been even higher with more offense.

If we don't do something drastic to improve our running game or add a legit #1 WR, with our schedule next year I think our SB chances are slim. We were below average in ypr and last in the league on 3rd & short. At or near the top of the league (depending on which source you use) in drops per pass attempt.

Can't beat our last four minutes with the saints.
Signing Mario Williams might present more problems than solutions. Currently the team in incredibly strong in run defense largely because every position contributes and is good in this area. The pass defense is aided by the LBs being able to help cover short areas of the field to help out the DBs. How often did we see LBs covering to the sidelines blowing up screens? When you change one player you tinker with this balance. If Mario has the same lack of drop skills as Aldon the 9ers will be hampered in their overall coverage flexibility. As far as the contract goes, I'll trust the SF brain trust (or is that the Santa Clara brain trust?).
BUMP

haha this thread is funny because I actually think this is kind of a good idea. Its plain and simple...our staff just isn't good at selecting offensive players but they are amazing at defensive players. I am not being completely serious but hey...draft all defense and just sign FAs for offense.
All you need on offense is Kap, we saw that one man show in Seattle. Live and die by Kap.
Originally posted by socalniner:
All you need on offense is Kap, we saw that one man show in Seattle. Live and die by Kap.

And hold the opposition under two scores every game!
wut
[ Edited by RonMexico on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM ]

Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by vaden:
The rules have changed since Dilfer and Johnson won SBs, and after seeing how defenses held the elite QBs in check this last playoffs, I think refs will be even more slanted toward offense next season. NFL doesn't want 20-17 SBs and Championship games. The ratings were still amazing, because the NFL has been on an upward trajectory for years, but they would've been even higher with more offense.

If we don't do something drastic to improve our running game or add a legit #1 WR, with our schedule next year I think our SB chances are slim. We were below average in ypr and last in the league on 3rd & short. At or near the top of the league (depending on which source you use) in drops per pass attempt.

Can't beat our last four minutes with the saints.

And how ironic in that it was our defense who let us down in Superbowl 47.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
This is kinda off topic, but i would not be surprised to see the niners draft a safety with their first pick.

I agree, drafting another versatile safety with a high ceiling to team with Reid will pay off in the long run
Reload and revamp the secondary.
Thanks for bumping! Still trying to secure the WR position...hasn't changed unless they resign Boldin and Patton works out. Even then, they will be short handed. On the other hand, the defense has a pretty good collection of athletes at every position except Safety. If they let Brown go they may need another CB but the same thing is true WRs if they let Boldin go...then they will need to draft at least two WRs.

CBs: Brown, Cullliver, Brock, Cox, Wright, and Morris...who will be retained? Which of these guys are capable of starting? Many of these guys had playing time in 2014.

Versus

WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Patton, Baldwin, Osgood and Jacobs...after Boldin is't yikes! I really like Patton but they desperately need another guy or two. How many of these guys would you count on as receivers next year?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM ]
This entire discussion is based on faulty logic. Nobody in the NFL says screw the offense, let's just go all defense, or vice versa. They've already got a good defense. They'll add a good corner and probably a safety in the draft. But you can be pretty sure they're also going to add receivers because they'll be looking to expand that passing attack next year.
Share 49ersWebzone