There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
And the QB's job is to throw it when he sees them open. But you're not saying that, are you?

You just don't know football...I'm done with you. (better things to do) Best of luck, Joe...

It's the NFL. Receivers are covered tight more often than they are open. You boy Alex needs to turn it up a level.
This is also true. It's a combination of both. Notice how Aaron Rodgers doesn't have a big red zone target? That's b/c he can throw that back shoulder fade to Jennings where height doesn't matter. You do have to throw guys open and we all know that is Alex's main set back. He really lacks that anticipation. Would Crbtree or whoever go up and make a play. Can't tell if he doesn't throw it. That's part of my reasoning on why they do need new wr's. We have a qb that can't throw guys open and anticipate where they are going before the get there. Thus we need wr's that can create more separation giving Smith easier less complicated reads.

This is why I am so confused about anyone who wants to degrade the ability of Morgan and Crabtree in terms of tough catches. How the hell does anyone know? These guys haven't even had a chance to make tough catches. They've made tough catches when wide open such as when a ball is too high.

Everyone sees all these other WR's on other teams making acrobatic catches...it's because they get thrown to when they are covered tight and they get thrown jump balls instead of balls that are 2 yards ahead of their 9 route.
And the QB's job is to throw it when he sees them open. But you're not saying that, are you?

You just don't know football...I'm done with you. (better things to do) Best of luck, Joe...

It's the NFL. Receivers are covered tight more often than they are open. You boy Alex needs to turn it up a level.
This is also true. It's a combination of both. Notice how Aaron Rodgers doesn't have a big red zone target? That's b/c he can throw that back shoulder fade to Jennings where height doesn't matter. You do have to throw guys open and we all know that is Alex's main set back. He really lacks that anticipation. Would Crbtree or whoever go up and make a play. Can't tell if he doesn't throw it. That's part of my reasoning on why they do need new wr's. We have a qb that can't throw guys open and anticipate where they are going before the get there. Thus we need wr's that can create more separation giving Smith easier less complicated reads.

This is why I am so confused about anyone who wants to degrade the ability of Morgan and Crabtree in terms of tough catches. How the hell does anyone know? These guys haven't even had a chance to make tough catches. They've made tough catches when wide open such as when a ball is too high.

Everyone sees all these other WR's on other teams making acrobatic catches...it's because they get thrown to when they are covered tight and they get thrown jump balls instead of balls that are 2 yards ahead of their 9 route.

Rodgers does have a big target though so his point is moot. Finley is 6'6'' and Nelson is 6'3'' and Jones is 6'3''.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Rodgers does have a big target though so his point is moot. Finley is 6'6'' and Nelson is 6'3'' and Jones is 6'3''.

He has one big target. Crabs and Morgan are a very strong 6'2". Crabtree has long arms which makes his reach as long as a taller receiver. Either way, you can't say they can't make tough catches if they don't get the opportunities to make tough catches. Can't say they can either...that's what I'm saying. We don't know what they are capable of because they haven't had the full opportunities as other receivers have.

i forgot about Finley but he dropped more passes than made big plays. All those touchdowns to Greg Jennings and others are stop fades to his back shoulder. Not jump balls for taller wr's. Shoot none of the Giants wr's are that tall. Peyton Manning never had a tall target. Brady had Moss and that's when they didn't win.

to me it's not all on smith and it's not all on the wr core. But if we can't be honest acknowledging Smith's limitations then we never get anywhere. at the same time we have to note that Crabtree and Morgan's limitations in not getting that separation smith needed. I don't see Smith going anywhere thus why I thinking they must upgrade the wr's. Smith needs to let it rip and throw the ball more, but I just don't think he's built for that unless it's a 2 minute drill. And look how great he looks in those situations. But he only let's loose when he has too. Where is that fire and mentality all game? But sense JH keeps saying Smith is the guy then the only other option is to upgrade the wr's. Morgan and crabtree are both solid 2's but they do need a solid 1.
The reason they haven't had the chance other receivers have is this season for the most part they were running the basics of the WC0 which is also were Joe Montana knows exactly what he's talking about, even though its not an alien language and every team has there version of it. The basics are all the same. The playbook for the WC0 is huge almost too much for a young offense to understand in a partial offseason tc and even a full regular season with practices.the b*sic of the WC0 are not high risk, that's why this season wasn't full of flashy long passes, or many passes at all. Alex has absorbed a lot of what was thrown at him in a short period. The rest of the offense is learning it also, but there was a good point thrown out about vernon, and that was since during the beginning of the season (when he was doing more blocking then anything else) he didn't understand it and took to time to talk to the coacj to help understanding it. I think all of our receivers need to have a q&a meeting with harbaugh to help with anything about the playbook they don't understand. When walsh was using the original WCO historic niners had to have sit down time with him to understand the playbook including montana. Its a pretty complicated offense once you move past the basics that we mostly saw this year.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
The reason they haven't had the chance other receivers have is this season for the most part they were running the basics of the WC0 which is also were Joe Montana knows exactly what he's talking about, even though its not an alien language and every team has there version of it. The basics are all the same. The playbook for the WC0 is huge almost too much for a young offense to understand in a partial offseason tc and even a full regular season with practices.the b*sic of the WC0 are not high risk, that's why this season wasn't full of flashy long passes, or many passes at all. Alex has absorbed a lot of what was thrown at him in a short period. The rest of the offense is learning it also, but there was a good point thrown out about vernon, and that was since during the beginning of the season (when he was doing more blocking then anything else) he didn't understand it and took to time to talk to the coacj to help understanding it. I think all of our receivers need to have a q&a meeting with harbaugh to help with anything about the playbook they don't understand. When walsh was using the original WCO historic niners had to have sit down time with him to understand the playbook including montana. Its a pretty complicated offense once you move past the basics that we mostly saw this year.

My main thing is that what Joe said isn't any new found knowledge and doesn't only pertain to WCO. It is the same with any offense but it seems as though what Joe said is being used more of an excuse to why Smith isn't lighting it up and when other QB's are...then the WCO part of what Joe said is stressed even more. To me, that is BS. Every offense takes about 3 years to master pending consistent personnel HOWEVER, every QB doesn't require 3 years excel.

And totally agree with lamontb on the fact that we also need to acknowledge Alex's weaknesses and THAT's why we need a 6'5" WR because from the way Alex has played, he requires a big target or more separation that some QB's don't necessarily require. THAT is my main reason for combating all of this "our WR's suck" because they don't. They have their limitations, but Crabtree has the talent of a 1000 yard NFL WR.

The only problem is that Crabtree's weakness is also something Alex requires in order to perform better.

Yes, but you can't judge height by how tall someone is...oh, wait...well you can't judge receivers based on how many balls they drop...oh, wait...

This thread is evidently going through regression therapy!

Edit: did I mention how much I like Kaepernick?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:44 PM ]
i forgot about Finley but he dropped more passes than made big plays. All those touchdowns to Greg Jennings and others are stop fades to his back shoulder. Not jump balls for taller wr's. Shoot none of the Giants wr's are that tall. Peyton Manning never had a tall target. Brady had Moss and that's when they didn't win.

to me it's not all on smith and it's not all on the wr core. But if we can't be honest acknowledging Smith's limitations then we never get anywhere. at the same time we have to note that Crabtree and Morgan's limitations in not getting that separation smith needed. I don't see Smith going anywhere thus why I thinking they must upgrade the wr's. Smith needs to let it rip and throw the ball more, but I just don't think he's built for that unless it's a 2 minute drill. And look how great he looks in those situations. But he only let's loose when he has too. Where is that fire and mentality all game? But sense JH keeps saying Smith is the guy then the only other option is to upgrade the wr's. Morgan and crabtree are both solid 2's but they do need a solid 1.
U forgot he has small hands n happy feet ! and I furget what else .
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Yes, but you can't judge height by how tall someone is...oh, wait...well you can't judge receivers based on how many balls they drop...oh, wait...

This thread is evidently going through regression therapy!

Edit: did I mention how much I like Kaepernick?

You cant judge a QB by how often hes afraid to throw he ball. Theres a reason why this thread is regressing and its from remarks like yours and my reply to it.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

My main thing is that what Joe said isn't any new found knowledge and doesn't only pertain to WCO. It is the same with any offense but it seems as though what Joe said is being used more of an excuse to why Smith isn't lighting it up and when other QB's are...then the WCO part of what Joe said is stressed even more. To me, that is BS. Every offense takes about 3 years to master pending consistent personnel HOWEVER, every QB doesn't require 3 years excel.

And totally agree with lamontb on the fact that we also need to acknowledge Alex's weaknesses and THAT's why we need a 6'5" WR because from the way Alex has played, he requires a big target or more separation that some QB's don't necessarily require. THAT is my main reason for combating all of this "our WR's suck" because they don't. They have their limitations, but Crabtree has the talent of a 1000 yard NFL WR.

The only problem is that Crabtree's weakness is also something Alex requires in order to perform better.

Steve Young said the same thing Montana did about being patient with the WCO. And so did Mariucci.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Steve Young said the same thing Montana did about being patient with the WCO. And so did Mariucci.

Yeah, but what do they know? Bunch o old has-beens that don't know nothin' and stuff.
He has one big target. Crabs and Morgan are a very strong 6'2". Crabtree has long arms which makes his reach as long as a taller receiver. Either way, you can't say they can't make tough catches if they don't get the opportunities to make tough catches. Can't say they can either...that's what I'm saying. We don't know what they are capable of because they haven't had the full opportunities as other receivers have.

You might want to re-check the status homie. Crabtree and Morgan are not 6'2! Let alone a strong 6'2 is a joke. Morgan is a strong 6'0 and Crabtree is 6'1. Check the official stats.and the reason why I'm correcting you on this is because a strong 6'2 makes a big difference in the NFL going up against db's
You cant judge a QB by how often hes afraid to throw he ball. Theres a reason why this thread is regressing and its from remarks like yours and my reply to it.

You looked into his heart and saw fear, Harbaugh looked into his heart and saw a warrior who would protect the ball. Hmm...

Edit: No, humor is fun, cotinuing with the same non-humor would be somewhat tedious!
Edit 2: I forgot to mention--I really like that kid Kaepernick!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:35 AM ]

Yeah, but what do they know? Bunch o old has-beens that don't know nothin' and stuff.

You can't take certain posters seriously because they will say anything to win an argument. Good entertainment though.

I know, which means it is not any new found knowledge. It is common knowledge to know that most QBs/offenses take about 3 years to mature. But it is also true that not all QB's require this. So it isn't true for every situation.