There are 164 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:

What does the fact that Joe saying mean anything? It is a different era where the WCO isn't an alien language anymore.

But I do agree, people need to have more patience, including with our WR's.

and just who are our WRs?

Crabtree - talented, but has not reported to camp worth a darn to develop chemistry with QB, has foot issues, and has struggled with separation and drops.
Morgan - coming off a nasty ankle injury and is UN-signed.. still has a ways to go in establishing where his worth is
Ginn - speed, but lousy deep ball tracking... UN-signed... universally regarded as a rather poor wideout
Kyle W - shows nice hands at times... still raw... not even remotely guaranteed to be on our roster..

??? Anyone else worth mentioning ????

As of now, we have bottom tier WRs... it's no wonder every respectable site and beatwriter has us going for a WR early in the draft or top-shelf veteran in FA.

Do they have us going for a QB? Does any reputable source have us going for a QB???

So, now what?

What does the fact that Joe saying mean anything?

Oh, and THIS? For real? So, you are saying Joe has no idea of what he's talking about these days? Really, dude?
Originally posted by oldman9er:

What does the fact that Joe saying mean anything? It is a different era where the WCO isn't an alien language anymore.

But I do agree, people need to have more patience, including with our WR's.

and just who are our WRs?

Crabtree - talented, but has not reported to camp worth a darn to develop chemistry with QB, has foot issues, and has struggled with separation and drops.
Morgan - coming off a nasty ankle injury and is UN-signed.. still has a ways to go in establishing where his worth is
Ginn - speed, but lousy deep ball tracking... UN-signed... universally regarded as a rather poor wideout
Kyle W - shows nice hands at times... still raw... not even remotely guaranteed to be on our roster..

??? Anyone else worth mentioning ????

As of now, we have bottom tier WRs... it's no wonder every respectable site and beatwriter has us going for a WR early in the draft or top-shelf veteran in FA.

Do they have us going for a QB? Does any reputable source have us going for a QB???

So, now what?

We already went for a QB last year. Alex's ability to safely run the offense was a pleasant surprise. "bottom tier WR's"...really? We are not going to go after an expensive FA. Like we did with QB last year, we will get a WR in the draft. "bottom tier" is not even close to accurate. We have two near 1000 yard targets in the passing game. What more do you want?

What does the fact that Joe saying mean anything?

Oh, and THIS? For real? So, you are saying Joe has no idea of what he's talking about these days? Really, dude?

He has NO idea what's happening with the team on a daily basis and how other NFL teams do things and how many players around the league are now familiar with the WCO. In his day, only the 49ers ran the WCO so it was a foreign language to any player who came to the 49ers. It's not as much of a crutch to performance as it used to be.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM ]
He has NO idea what's happening with the team on a daily basis and how other NFL teams do things and how many players around the league are now familiar with the WCO. In his day, only the 49ers ran the WCO so it was a foreign language to any player who came to the 49ers. It's not as much of a crutch to performance as it used to be.

For you to even have the audacity to state that what Joe does or does not know? Yeah, that really does say it all.

... and we do have a bottom-tier WR corps... any fool can see that. The Niners were the 2nd least in passes attempted and STILL ranked in the top 10 for dropped passes. That says quite a bit for our receivers.
They do have a bottom tier wr corp. I mean Jabbar Gaffney is a near 1,000 wide out in today's NFL but i wouldn't want him as a focal point. They need upgrades over Morgan and Crabtree, As oldman said that's part is pretty clear.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They do have a bottom tier wr corp. I mean Jabbar Gaffney is a near 1,000 wide out in today's NFL but i wouldn't want him as a focal point. They need upgrades over Morgan and Crabtree, As oldman said that's part is pretty clear.

We have a bottom tier passing game. Not just the WRs.

For you to even have the audacity to state that what Joe does or does not know? Yeah, that really does say it all.

... and we do have a bottom-tier WR corps... any fool can see that. The Niners were the 2nd least in passes attempted and STILL ranked in the top 10 for dropped passes. That says quite a bit for our receivers.

To say he does know how it is in this era is also not accurate. You just want to say that to excuse Alex's performance for more years but completely dismiss that for our WR's?

Dropped passes is the worst way to measure the strength of a receiving corp because that stat is not consistent from year to year meaning one year, a team can have a case of the dropsicals and improve by a lot the next year. Crabtree had one bad game and he all of a sudden has bad hands? Ginn has a reputation of this and so did Vernon. Those are the only guys on this team that you can say do not have sure hands.

The fact that we throw so little compared to other teams and Vernon and Crabs got the stats they did says a lot about their capabilities to easily be 1000 yard targets on a team that passes more...see we can do this all day.

Until you realize WR's perform better when thrown to more...well...I guess in that analogy, Alex Smith sucks because Harbaugh didn't let him throw as much, right?

We can do this all offseason but you won't get it. You will keep blaming our lack of receiver talent to our lack of passing game.

We can do this all offseason but you won't get it. You will keep blaming our lack of receiver talent to our lack of passing game.

I'll blame the receivers for not having the ability to get separation... or catch passes that hit them in the hands... or have the ball bounce off their facemasks for an INT... or being bottom 10 in drops... yes, I will.

I don't care if Crabtree or the others only get a few passes thrown their way per game. Their job that they get paid well for...is to catch passes... not sulk on the field and drop passes because they want to cry over the lack of attention. If that's the case, then they need to grow up quickly or pack their bags. They can even try as VD did and sit down with Jim to discuss it.

Year 1... WCO... Braylon was to be our stud... got injured... then sucked... Now we need a real stud WR... simple....

I'll blame the receivers for not having the ability to get separation... or catch passes that hit them in the hands... or have the ball bounce off their facemasks for an INT... or being bottom 10 in drops... yes, I will.

I don't care if Crabtree or the others only get a few passes thrown their way per game. Their job that they get paid well for...is to catch passes... not sulk on the field and drop passes because they want to cry over the lack of attention. If that's the case, then they need to grow up quickly or pack their bags. They can even try as VD did and sit down with Jim to discuss it.

Year 1... WCO... Braylon was to be our stud... got injured... then sucked... Now we need a real stud WR... simple....

And the QB's job is to throw it when he sees them open. But you're not saying that, are you?

And the QB's job is to throw it when he sees them open. But you're not saying that, are you?

You just don't know football...I'm done with you. (better things to do) Best of luck, Joe...

You just don't know football...I'm done with you. (better things to do) Best of luck, Joe...

It's the NFL. Receivers are covered tight more often than they are open. You boy Alex needs to turn it up a level.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by lamontb:

We have a bottom tier passing game. Not just the WRs.

that's true

It's the NFL. Receivers are covered tight more often than they are open. You boy Alex needs to turn it up a level.
This is also true. It's a combination of both. Notice how Aaron Rodgers doesn't have a big red zone target? That's b/c he can throw that back shoulder fade to Jennings where height doesn't matter. You do have to throw guys open and we all know that is Alex's main set back. He really lacks that anticipation. Would Crbtree or whoever go up and make a play. Can't tell if he doesn't throw it. That's part of my reasoning on why they do need new wr's. We have a qb that can't throw guys open and anticipate where they are going before the get there. Thus we need wr's that can create more separation giving Smith easier less complicated reads.
Our WR corps is weak but IMO if we got a true #1 WR like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, etc our WR corps would be a strong suit. We are just 1 WR away and unfortuanetly it's the #1 WR.
Share 49ersWebzone