LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
thats what harbaugh qbs do

take care of the ball is proproty #1 then when we have ti and need to score make plays thats exactly what alex does and thats why harbaugh is so high on alex

This. A handful of plays can change the perception of a quarterback anyways. Imagine what people would be saying about Eli right now had Goldson not taken out both Brown and Rogers on two gimme interceptions that could have completely swung the game in the 49ers favor?

I do think that regardless of the QB, the 49ers offense under Harbaugh is never going to be one that plays chuck and duck. Its always going to be a solid ball control offense. I think that Alex is a great quarterback for the type of system that Harbaugh wants to run and I'm excited to see the improvement in the offense and the new pieces that are added to the team.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM ]
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Same goes for Morgan and Crabtree.

Same goes for the whole offense.

Yeah right i'd like to see the offense even be able to compete with the defense.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Yeah right i'd like to see the offense even be able to compete with the defense.

If our offense could compete with our defense on all aspects, i think the NFL might as well hand over the Lombardi Trophies to us and say "nobody has a chance" lol
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think it's very fair to say that Smith, more often than not, is more of a game manager than a playmaker by nature. That doesn't mean he can't be a playmaker it just means he doesn't do it unless its absolutly clear he has to.

T Bradshaw said the same of Montana. He didn't call his own plays so he was just an extension of the coach on the field. Smith is similar in that he is ideally suited to manage Harbaugh's high efficiency system. If you think of a manager as someone who is in charge of an organization in a particular place (plant, store, whatever) it fits pretty well. If you think of a manager as someone who has limited skills it does not.

Making a play has become synonymous with making a great play. Every time a QB hands the ball off it's making a play, but putting the offense on your back and running and throwing for TDs in the last 3 minutes of a game is big time, in the playoffs it is fantastic. Not sure I've ever seen a QB play better than Smith played in the last three minutes of the NO game. NYGs took that away with faster DLinemen and covering VD like a blanket. Smart coach in NY.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
thats what harbaugh qbs do

take care of the ball is proproty #1 then when we have ti and need to score make plays thats exactly what alex does and thats why harbaugh is so high on alex

This. A handful of plays can change the perception of a quarterback anyways. Imagine what people would be saying about Eli right now had Goldson not taken out both Brown and Rogers on two gimme interceptions that could have completely swung the game in the 49ers favor?

I do think that regardless of the QB, the 49ers offense under Harbaugh is never going to be one that plays chuck and duck. Its always going to be a solid ball control offense. I think that Alex is a great quarterback for the type of system that Harbaugh wants to run and I'm excited to see the improvement in the offense and the new pieces that are added to the team.

One can say he isnt a great QB for Harbaughs system because it allows for minimal opportunites but when those come, you must pull the trigger. Not pulling the trigger to wide open receivers in a safe offense once is like doing that two or three times in a more attempts offense.
One can say he isnt a great QB for Harbaughs system because it allows for minimal opportunites but when those come, you must pull the trigger. Not pulling the trigger to wide open receivers in a safe offense once is like doing that two or three times in a more attempts offense.

Not sure how you reach this point after watching the team play this year and listening/reading to Harbaugh's comments about Smith. Just being argumentative? Or are you refering to CK?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Not sure how you reach this point after watching the team play this year and listening/reading to Harbaugh's comments about Smith. Just being argumentative? Or are you refering to CK?

What do you mean? IMO hes exactly right regarding Smith playing safe. If he wasnt our kicker wouldnt have broke records and we would have done better in the RZ. Smith isnt a great fit for Harbaughs WCO hes just our best option for right now. Or until Kap takes his place or we find another QB who will take more chances. If Smith played each game like he did vs NO's he would have some damn nice stats. Next year hes gonna have a tougher time now that theres tape on JHs offense. Smith will definately need go downfield more and look to pass more in the RZ.
Jimmy, I don't see the connection or reason for alex not being a fit for Coach Harbaugh's WCO , except for right now. To me he seems to be the perfect fit for Coach H. Your reasons for your statement are....?
This thread read like a Alex Smith thread... with a mention of CK as after thought.
""
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM ]

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
What do you mean? IMO hes exactly right regarding Smith playing safe. If he wasnt our kicker wouldnt have broke records and we would have done better in the RZ. Smith isnt a great fit for Harbaughs WCO hes just our best option for right now. Or until Kap takes his place or we find another QB who will take more chances. If Smith played each game like he did vs NO's he would have some damn nice stats. Next year hes gonna have a tougher time now that theres tape on JHs offense. Smith will definately need go downfield more and look to pass more in the RZ.

If you judge by college career (all we have for CK) Kaepernick had 24 TDs and 8 Ints his senior year. Smith was 32-4. Last year Smith secured the ball as Harbaugh instructed, just as he did in college. CK may eventually be a much better QB than Smith, Brady, and Joe Montana all rolled into one, but to suggest that Smith does not fit Harbaugh's style to a T is just incorrect.

As for your comment that Smith would have some nice stats...his stats for this year are good enough for me--during a TC shortened year, in a new defense, yada yada yada. If a QBR of 90+ isn't high enough for you, given the aforementioned situation...you may be one of those who will not be pleased until he is gone.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

if we had a qb who took more chances jim would throw his ass on the bench. what part of doing what your coach says dont u idiots understand? a smith could call hike and bomb the ball on every play if he wanted too. would that make you happy? if jim says air it out he will. im so sick of listening to you haters.
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
if we had a qb who took more chances jim would throw his ass on the bench. what part of doing what your coach says dont u idiots understand? a smith could call hike and bomb the ball on every play if he wanted too. would that make you happy? if jim says air it out he will. im so sick of listening to you haters.

Ive been a fan of A smith doing his thing since day 1.. BUT, he has tended to miss good chances that couldve turned into scoring oppurtunitys, however ALL qb's are going to miss chances.. like earlier in the year when he said he had Delanie Walker WIDE open down the field and the OC called him out on it and he took that into account.. he needs to be reading 3,2,1. from top to bottom. However that also mightve been because how our O-line is playing.. ive played QB, and if your O-line is playing like garbage your going to want to get rid of that ball a little faster and that stops you from looking all the way down the field for the huge gainer... ALOT more thinngs account into a football game than just the Quarterback/TD's Defense/Turnovers.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jimmy, I don't see the connection or reason for alex not being a fit for Coach Harbaugh's WCO , except for right now. To me he seems to be the perfect fit for Coach H. Your reasons for your statement are....?

Its just his safe playing style is all. There been more than a few times each game that Smith could have went downfield but checked down instead. For him to be a perfect fit imo he has to go downfield more often and take more chances in the RZ. Small issues but 1s that we need changed for our offense to get better in the passing game. Bottom of the rankings in the passing dept usually means we dont have a perfect fit at QB. Just saying.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:

Ive been a fan of A smith doing his thing since day 1.. BUT, he has tended to miss good chances that couldve turned into scoring oppurtunitys, however ALL qb's are going to miss chances.. like earlier in the year when he said he had Delanie Walker WIDE open down the field and the OC called him out on it and he took that into account.. he needs to be reading 3,2,1. from top to bottom. However that also mightve been because how our O-line is playing.. ive played QB, and if your O-line is playing like garbage your going to want to get rid of that ball a little faster and that stops you from looking all the way down the field for the huge gainer... ALOT more thinngs account into a football game than just the Quarterback/TD's Defense/Turnovers.

All QBs do miss chances but they pass more so those misses are made up on other plays. Harbaughs offense isn about quantity. Alex MUST make the throws that got Delanie wide open vs BAL or vs NYG and Crabtree open on a few occasions vs NYG. Alex didnt even make the attempt which is why he isnt the best fit. The best fit would be an accurate QB whos not afraid to make those NFL throws on a more consistent basis. Alex really only did it in one game for one play.

It isnt about ability, its about mentality. I hope Kaep has the mentality of a QB who wants to make those plays over Alexs mentality, even while he was at Utah, to wait until the receiver is a yard open and even then, possibly not throw it.
Share 49ersWebzone