LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 299 users in the forums

NFL approves 200 Million of funding for Santa Clara stadium

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
On one hand I'm delighted. On the other, I'm PI$$ED!

Delighted: The Niners are staying. Los Angeles doesn't get them. No other city with deep pockets gets them. We keep them. The legendary franchise lives on.

PI$$ED: Idiot boy lost the team. I can't believe this guy is Lt. Governor now. Gavin Newsom had every advantage in the world to keep the Niners in SF, and managed to urinate on everything. This guy is going to be your Governor one day. Be scared. Be very, very scared. This just shows the further gentrification of San Francisco. At one time, this was a progressive, get-it-done, city. It's still progressive, but for all the wrong reasons. You can't get anything done in San Francisco now. Business friendly? Hardly. Idiots. Dumb, stupid idiots.

For those of you complaining that "it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to attend games" and the "ordinary fan gets jobbed," please take this clue. I heard the same dire predictions about AT&T (formerly PacBell) Park. Is/was it true? No -- ordinary fans like Bill Bird get to take in Giants games all the time -- far more than I ever took in at cruddy Candlemistake Park.

mattbarrows Matt Barrows

Jed York says that 58,000 seats at new stadium have yet to be priced. "There's definitely going to be afforable seating for everyone."
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Delighted: The Niners are staying. Los Angeles doesn't get them. No other city with deep pockets gets them. We keep them. The legendary franchise lives on.

PI$$ED: Idiot boy lost the team. I can't believe this guy is Lt. Governor now. Gavin Newsom had every advantage in the world to keep the Niners in SF, and managed to urinate on everything. This guy is going to be your Governor one day. Be scared. Be very, very scared. This just shows the further gentrification of San Francisco. At one time, this was a progressive, get-it-done, city. It's still progressive, but for all the wrong reasons. You can't get anything done in San Francisco now. Business friendly? Hardly. Idiots. Dumb, stupid idiots.

For those of you complaining that "it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to attend games" and the "ordinary fan gets jobbed," please take this clue. I heard the same dire predictions about AT&T (formerly PacBell) Park. Is/was it true? No -- ordinary fans like Bill Bird get to take in Giants games all the time -- far more than I ever took in at cruddy Candlemistake Park.

relax dude.

He also stated that the seats will be affordable to everyone.

Umm...Yeah...Tony....Dats what I said. Tis the point I made.

But Gavin Newsom is still a major dirtbag for losing this team to Santa Clara. Never should have happened.

relax dude.

But Gavin Newsom is still a major dirtbag for losing this team to Santa Clara. Never should have happened.

He banked on the Niners not moving. He thought he had the power at the table.

He didn't.

That said, I don't think he did it. I think SF was just never a good option for them (on that site anyway). To many roadblocks. Too many hidden expenses.

I l;ive in SJ and I'm happy to see them move closer, but I would have actually rather had them build on the same site. It just doesn't make any sense.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

relax dude.

He didn't.

That said, I don't think he did it. I think SF was just never a good option for them (on that site anyway). To many roadblocks. Too many hidden expenses.

I l;ive in SJ and I'm happy to see them move closer, but I would have actually rather had them build on the same site. It just doesn't make any sense.

This would have been ideal.

Was there room to build next door to the Stick? This is what was done in NY for all 3 of their new stadiums (Metlife for Giants/Jets, Citifield for Mets, new Yankee stadium). The thing I loved the most about Candlestick was the pre-game overhead shots.....

BTW, as for Santa Clara.....no one cares that the Jets/Giants play in New Jersey.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

relax dude.

He didn't.

This would have been ideal.

Was there room to build next door to the Stick? This is what was done in NY for all 3 of their new stadiums (Metlife for Giants/Jets, Citifield for Mets, new Yankee stadium). The thing I loved the most about Candlestick was the pre-game overhead shots.....

BTW, as for Santa Clara.....no one cares that the Jets/Giants play in New Jersey.

Nope. The stick is between water and a big hill.

They could go to the naval shipyard not far, but that has almost ZERO road access....so then you have to build all the roads as well and then its surrounded by water on 3 sides.
Was doomed from the start apparently.

Plus at least now in S.C. you can have it in a very nice location, free of winds and such. Less character but more super bowl friendly.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Tim Kawakami @timkawakami

RT @mattbarrows: York calls a 2015 opening date "a certainty" but that he is hopeful the facility will be open for 2014 ..

shoot, they should take away Super Bowl XLIX (49 for you non-Romans) from stupid Tardinals Stadium and give it to Santa Clara instead...only fitting it should be in the 49ers stadium (this Super Bowl will be played in Feb 2015)

if not, the next one, Super Bowl L (50, the GOLDEN Anniversary Super Bowl) in Feb 2016 should go to the home of the 49ERS (sorry Farmer's Field /L.A. )
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Was doomed from the start apparently.

Plus at least now in S.C. you can have it in a very nice location, free of winds and such. Less character but more super bowl friendly.

yup with a theme park next door (i expect Great America will open for a week during the Super Bowl) and the area centrally located in the South Bay with closer access also to the Santa Cruz/Monterrey Bay area (golf courses, beaches) Santa Clara will definitely be in the regular rotation for Super Bowls every 4-5 years
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
good times in SanFran (really Santa Clara)

ClaytonESPN John Clayton

The 49ers have to be delighted. Their stadium was approved. They qualified for league loan money. And they got a minority owner.
Originally posted by susweel:

ClaytonESPN John Clayton

The 49ers have to be delighted. Their stadium was approved. They qualified for league loan money. And they got a minority owner.

Originally posted by jrg:
what race is he/she....

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by susweel:

ClaytonESPN John Clayton

Originally posted by jrg:
what race is he/she....

Oriental
  • NONAME
  • Go Raiders
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

isn't he some former executive from Google or yahoo or something???? expect minority owner will have some tie in with the naming rights down the line....
Edit:

Yup....former Facebook exec....hopefully the new stadium isn't called "Facebook Field"
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Feb 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM ]
Originally posted by schmons:
maybe now the raiders can upgrade and move into candlestick

LMAO
Share 49ersWebzone