There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL approves 200 Million of funding for Santa Clara stadium

Originally posted by okdkid:
It's built. They're bringing it in on a couple double-wides in April.

good one
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's great news, but I'm worried these anti-stadium supporters latest attempt via another vote will push this thing to the courts and a delay of the construction.
Originally posted by mayo49:
It's great news, but I'm worried these anti-stadium supporters latest attempt via another vote will push this thing to the courts and a delay of the construction.

They don't have anywhere near the numbers to do so.

Every single stadium in US history has had some sort of opposition to its construction.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i hate the new location. need it by SFO!

Boner, they had their chance and the city blew it. They have no one to blame to but themselves.
The raiders section 8 the "stick"
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I just don't get it. For as much money as the NFL makes, it can't build its own stadiums? It is like if Apple requests a city to pay for most of a new location.

Uh....these stadium cost more to build than the value of entire franchises.

So.....no.

Apple is a bad example....they have been gouging customers for YEARS. They charge 200% (sometimes more) of the value of a product just because it has the Apple Logo. I work in IT and one of the execs just ordered a 26" Apple Monitor. A Grand. A freakin' grand. I can get a monitor just as good with a different logo for half that.

Yeah but how much money do these stadiums make for the NFL? I know most of their money if probably from TV deals but is there anything in the build that says the city will receive a certain percentage of stadium-related profit? If so, then that's fair but otherwise, it is just B.S.

Well of course the city gets some of the money. They also get shares of the $$$ from all of the other envents held there and sales tax $$$$ from everything sold in the satdium....not to mention all of the bars, hotels, and restaraunts in the area.

Just wait till the SUper Bowl is held there. Santa Clara will profit HUGE.

The people who don't like the project are essentially lying. They say the issue is the financing, but they couldn't give 2 sh*ts about that. They don't like the 68,000 fans showing up their neighborhood on sundays. That's their right, but they are just looking for every single loophole they can find to stop it.

Then that's no big deal. The main people who will be paying are the ones who want to pay to go to the games.

Correct.....and the 49ers are NOT the only ones profiting. The City will profit as will all of the local businesses (Great America included. There is a reason they dropped the lawsuit and decided not to sell. They aren't stupid). Also, the DeBartolo/Montana Hotel/Entertainment Center thing will be right across the street. That area is now going to be huge $$$ manking district.

Stadium. Great America. Convention Center. Golf Course.

I think the Cities concern is the SBL's somewhat..

They vote for a new stadium and can't attend because the cost to get in the new joint costs an arm and a leg

NO.....the CIty is behind it 100%.

Its a few citizens who are using the excuse that the 850 million loan wasn't in the original Measure J that was approved by voters.

They miss the fact that is says in the Measure itself that certain aspects of the deal will have to change before the thing gets going (WAY to many moving parts to know exactly that far before the project) and the fact that the City isn't even the entity on the hook if the loan defaults.

It's just a play to defeat a project they already don't want.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Every single stadium in US history has had some sort of opposition to its construction.

But, what keeps these groups from collecting signatures to put this thing back on the ballot of just not getting the signatures from the people who voted no on the project. It would just be an never ending cycle.

Don't. They have no leg to stand on and they know it.

This.

But, what keeps these groups from collecting signatures to put this thing back on the ballot of just not getting the signatures from the people who voted no on the project. It would just be an never ending cycle.

....and that is precisely why the City petitioning the court to say that Its NOT something that can go back to a vote. It won't go on tha ballot again.

Thats the whole point. "Santa Clara Plays Fair" knows it's defeated. They know they can't win. They are just emptying the clip in the hopes of a miracle.

It won't happen.

I mean seriously.....they aren't even arguing to stop the project right now. They are arguing to just give the public another shot to vote under the delusion that the result would be different.

They can't let go.

Don't worry....groundbreaking very soon and opening in 2014 or 2015.

If their concern really was the money, then maybe they would care that they are trying to waste MORE taxpayer $$$$ by forcing the city to fund a $4-$6 million vote process.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM ]
Great news! Crybabies gonna cry about the location but screw them! Jed is on fire, he has really turned things around since taking over.
But wait.........will they be the Santa Clara 49ers?
I doubt it, Dallas blew it and lost the Cowboys to the city of Arlington around here but they're still the Dallas Cowboys. Actually, even before that the football stadium was in Irving, TX. The name just has too much significance with the history these franchises have built.
[ Edited by DFW49erFan on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM ]
how long is it going to take to build the stadium?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
how long is it going to take to build the stadium?

If they breakground in April, we could be looking at 2014 to open the joint up.
Rockin' good news!