There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colin Kaepernick Highlights 2011

Went back and watched a lot of his preseason low-lights, seems like every INT he threw was out of 4-WR shotgun sets picked off on the fade by safeties (common rookie QB mistake in which Colin pointed out himself; even Peyton Manning struggled bad against NFL safeties his rookie year).

Other than spread sets, this guy is pretty damn accurate, and can throw through some tight windows/edges without even trying.

I don't really know what to gauge; he's raw potential, if this kid looks good in the next preseason and shows improvement (where that raw potential translates to discipline), we could have something interesting.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
thankx for the vid TC...also, like others have said, if you have clips of all his passing attempts...from INTs to in-completions to sacks....i'd like to see that as well.

here is another video of Kaepernick in College, but it shows the good stuff and bad stuff (at the time).

That throw at 18 seconds is one that Alex will NEVER attempt. And that is the reason I would like for Kaepernick, or for that fact any other QB to lead this team.

Not a knock on Smith. Felt he had a great season and we will likely improve, but we all know his tendencies. It's always been the same for him...he just won't take a shot at a receiver who isn't wide open. He did show flashes, such as at the end of the Saints game, but that was with his back up against the wall, and he was AWESOME. But lets face it, during a regular situation, he will usually either check it down or throw it to a receiver who is open by at least 3 or 4 yards. Very rarely takes many chances.
Love his escapability and accuracy on the run, while running to the right or left.
Originally posted by mike:
I think the beating Alex took the first few years really scarred him mentally. Kaepernick has the ability to develop slowly while alex got thrown to the wolves from day 1. I think we're going to have a hell of a training camp from kaep and preseason will be exciting to watch.

I don't see anything wrong with his release. It looks funky but he gets the ball out just fine and with POWER behind it, reminds me of Rivers' release. The bigger issue was staring down receivers.

His unconventional wind up and release is what makes people believe that he delivers the ball slowly.

It just looks different. The time it takes to get out is just fine.
Kaep has a quick release. I think i read somewhere during the season when Greg Roman was interviewed about how kaep is coming along. And he said hes doing great and they tweaked his throwing motion a little. Probably shorten it up
Man he looks slow on the run compared to what I expected. He ran a 4.5!! Looks like Alex is faster at running to me, takes him like 3 strides to go 10 yards.

Also, this reminds me of who the most impressive player was in the preseason - Kyle Williams. Man he looked good in this video
[ Edited by dhp318 on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM ]
Originally posted by EdEs:
Since it is officially the offseason decided to put together my first highlight video hope yall like it. Also if anyone can give me working links to the preseason game of the texans and the cardinals game we lost I would really appreciate it. Im going to work on some other videos, I think Aldon's next.

http://youtu.be/mGL95FSF8l8

I want to see what the other kid does in the spring, he's been studying and learning too. He has a quick throwing motion. He may be the suprise of training camp
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Man he looks slow on the run compared to what I expected. He ran a 4.5!! Looks like Alex is faster at running to me, takes him like 3 strides to go 10 yards.

Also, this reminds me of who the most impressive player was in the preseason - Kyle Williams. Man he looked good in this video
He looked decent to me but the video is pretty limited, Alex probably is faster. Alex was known for his athletic ability in college too and only got better over the years.

I don't know if it's fair to compare alex on a set "qb run" play where the coordinators know there's an opening VS video of kaepernick scrambling for a 5 yd gain before having to slide into linebackers. Also sometimes kaepernick looks slow because he starts running but is still looking for someone open, whereas when smith runs he tucks it in and goes full speed.
he looks great out there. he should get a lot of PT next preseason. if he looks great in preseason games he will force the issue to get some snaps come regular season. one thing i dislike is how he carries the ball though. the dude is a going to fumble a lot if he doesn't learn to hold the ball with two hands with going through traffic
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Three Points:

A. I'm impressed that you were able to make a highlight video on a player who had very limited snaps.
B. Colin Kaepernicks's athleticism/big arm =
C. Josh Morgan's Touchdown =

lol. me too.

He would have been huge in the playoffs.

I like Kaep's Athleticism. He can be an exciting player.

Lol my youtube froze right when the clip of that play came up. 10 seconds later it started working again on the next play, it knew I didn't want to see that entire play!

EDIT:

I needed this. Even if it is 95% pre-season snaps, it helps keep me excited for the future. The longer this kid is off the field the better hell be when he does finally see again.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
His release is god awful. So damn slow. If they can't improve that he will never pan out.

+1

It looks like he pulls the ball back slow, and then fires. His forward release is lightning fast. They need to coach him to hold the ball on his back shoulder.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
That throw at 18 seconds is one that Alex will NEVER attempt. And that is the reason I would like for Kaepernick, or for that fact any other QB to lead this team.

Not a knock on Smith. Felt he had a great season and we will likely improve, but we all know his tendencies. It's always been the same for him...he just won't take a shot at a receiver who isn't wide open. He did show flashes, such as at the end of the Saints game, but that was with his back up against the wall, and he was AWESOME. But lets face it, during a regular situation, he will usually either check it down or throw it to a receiver who is open by at least 3 or 4 yards. Very rarely takes many chances.

Alex thre almost that exact pass when he threw "the catch 3" against the saits. Literally almost exactly the same.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Went back and watched a lot of his preseason low-lights, seems like every INT he threw was out of 4-WR shotgun sets picked off on the fade by safeties (common rookie QB mistake in which Colin pointed out himself; even Peyton Manning struggled bad against NFL safeties his rookie year).

Other than spread sets, this guy is pretty damn accurate, and can throw through some tight windows/edges without even trying.

I don't really know what to gauge; he's raw potential, if this kid looks good in the next preseason and shows improvement (where that raw potential translates to discipline), we could have something interesting.

Thank God I am not the only one. People were saying those interceptions were due to a lack of "accuracy" . It was a matter of NFL safety reads; and a little bit of a raw understanding of the speed of the game at this level. Preseason is supposed to be practice, especially for a quarterback, especially for a rookie. Andy Dalton didn't play well in the preseason, yet he was outstanding in the regular season as a rookie.

One thing I want to point out that gets overlooked all the time; touch. Notice how his receivers, especially running backs, were able to run after the catch so effectively? That's because he throws the ball in the right location at the right SPEED. Completely overlooked by most analysts because it is so difficult to describe what "touch" is. I think it's accuracy, combined with WHEN the ball gets there, and also the SPEED at which a ball arrives. He takes little off of the throw when he needs to, and puts more zip on it only when necessary.
His receivers are running for big chunks of yards after the catch very often.

His athleticism rivals any other quarterback out there. His arm rivals any other quarterback out there.

Of course he's not polished, that's why he wasn't a top ten pick. But he's extremely intelligent, I would even say his intelligence also rivals any other quarterback out there.
Top notch intelligence, athleticism, arm strength, and to top it all off, TOUCH. The only unknown is pocket presence, which IMO, is the most important trait for an NFL quarterback.
Smith fan or not, when you look at this guy as an individual, its hard to not be excited about what he can do in the future.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM ]
I don't want to sound negative because Kaep was my favorite QB in that draft (actually, second favorite behind Locker, but my favorite for the 9ers) and I was super excited about the 9ers drafting him.

But come on, most of those 'highlights' are either 6 yard passes or 4 yard runs. Several are barely for positive yardage, and only a few are even for first downs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how plays in the preseason this year. But let's wait until he actually makes some highlight plays before we get all crazy...
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
The most impressive thing about that video is that it took Kap about 3 plays to throw his first back shoulder pass in the NFL. Alex on the other hand .. took 7 years. Maybe it's a Harbaugh thing, but I hope Kap doesn't take as long as Alex did to get a basic feel for the game and hopefully even excels at it one day.
I still don't think Alex has a feel for the game. :(
I think the beating Alex took the first few years really scarred him mentally. Kaepernick has the ability to develop slowly while alex got thrown to the wolves from day 1. I think we're going to have a hell of a training camp from kaep and preseason will be exciting to watch.

I don't see anything wrong with his release. It looks funky but he gets the ball out just fine and with POWER behind it, reminds me of Rivers' release. The bigger issue was staring down receivers.

A "P. Rivers" type QB on this! team . The only thing I question is, is kap clutch. I always wondered if smith was clutch but afta this year I'm show for the most part. I actually believed that we would beat the Pats. I can't say the same bout kap cause he wasn't on da field in the playoffs.