LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
If this would have happened on a regular season Sunday, Williams would have been CUT on Monday. For all you who keep whining/rationalizing that "it takes a team," "1-for-13 on 3rd down," blah blah blah, that's just LAME. Yes the offense was struggling, and of course you can deconstruct every game to say "well if this guy did this, then that would or wouldn't have happened." Stop it. The facts are that, as much as Smith/Offense were struggling, at the beginning of the 4th qtr they had enough points to win. The Niner D was KILLING Manning and the Giants...I don't think they even made it past midfield in 2nd half / OT, EXCEPT for the two gifts from Williams.

Sorry, the dude is a bubble player to begin with, easily replaceable...his modest WR skills are not even close to offsetting the liability of his PROVEN low football IQ. Don't forget, besides his spotty history in college, he almost cost the Niners the #2 seed in that Dec. 24th game against the Seahawks...Niners were very lucky a questionable personal foul was called on the 'Hawks on the KO return where Williams slipped and didn't realize he was NOT down, and then fumbled on the hit.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
To be honest, does anybody think, that any other team would pick this guy up after what he did in the NFC Championship?

Oh yeah, absolutely. They'd let him compete for a WR spot in camp, no doubt. Dude has lots of talent to develop into a solid slot WR.

Let's not forget that, up until last game, nearly everybody who considers themselves a Niner fan wanted this kid as a WR.

Look at his entire body of work, as a scout would. That is more than enough to give him a shot in camp.
KEEP HIM !! hes an upncoming wr , hes the reason we let braylon edwards go ! Hes only gonna get better , except on special teams ! Lol
If this would have happened on a regular season Sunday, Williams would have been CUT on Monday. For all you who keep whining/rationalizing that "it takes a team," "1-for-13 on 3rd down," blah blah blah, that's just LAME. Yes the offense was struggling, and of course you can deconstruct every game to say "well if this guy did this, then that would or wouldn't have happened." Stop it. The facts are that, as much as Smith/Offense were struggling, at the beginning of the 4th qtr they had enough points to win. The Niner D was KILLING Manning and the Giants...I don't think they even made it past midfield in 2nd half / OT, EXCEPT for the two gifts from Williams.

Sorry, the dude is a bubble player to begin with, easily replaceable...his modest WR skills are not even close to offsetting the liability of his PROVEN low football IQ. Don't forget, besides his spotty history in college, he almost cost the Niners the #2 seed in that Dec. 24th game against the Seahawks...Niners were very lucky a questionable personal foul was called on the 'Hawks on the KO return where Williams slipped and didn't realize he was NOT down, and then fumbled on the hit.

yeah, I remember when we cut Delanie Walker, David Baas, and Philip Adams after their mistakes against the Saints last year.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
If this would have happened on a regular season Sunday, Williams would have been CUT on Monday.

And the award for most absurd post today goes too...

Correct.
To be honest, does anybody think, that any other team would pick this guy up after what he did in the NFC Championship?

Yes. those plays will haunt him for the rest of his life.

but it doesn't change the fact the guy is a good athlete and shown improvement over the course of the regular season. i wouldn't call him a "standout" player. but more than enough for someone else to give him a chance if he were cut.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Oh yeah, absolutely. They'd let him compete for a WR spot in camp, no doubt. Dude has lots of talent to develop into a solid slot WR.

Let's not forget that, up until last game, nearly everybody who considers themselves a Niner fan wanted this kid as a WR.

Look at his entire body of work, as a scout would. That is more than enough to give him a shot in camp.

Yes.

I'd said SEVERAL time in my weekly wrap-up that the kid needed a shot and called for him to start over Braylon long before Braylon was cut.

He has serious potential as a lightning quick slot receiver type. Nobody is saying that he's Jerry Rice.

Cutting a guy because you are angry serves only to lower the talent level of the team. That's what LOSING teams do. Ya know what WINNING teams do? They hang on to these guys and sign the ones other teams cut.

Ask the Browns and Redskins about Earnest Byner. Byner fumbled and lost the AFC Championship game for Cleveland. The Browns traded him to the 'skins for Mike Oliphant. Byner became a force to be reckoned with in Washington and won a Super Bowl. Cleveland got nothing from Oliphant and never made the title game.

Short-sighted people suffer the consequences.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]

But there are plenty of 6th round wr's with talent to develop into solid slot wr. why would another team want to bring in a player that has a history of choking at critical times. they would be better off drafting their own 6 rounder to develop. other than the fade pass against the cowboys, which was a perfect throw by alex, hasnt done( oh my bad, the touchdown against the rams?) much other than get concussions and fumble balls away
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM ]
As much as I wish he was a nobody we could just cut as punishment, we just cant get rid of him.

Hes a young WR with alot of potential, and were starving for WR depth and quality. Cutting him loose would be the irresponsible move. cutting off your nose to spite your face. Harbaugh isnt thinking like a fan, so he will definitely be on the team next year.
"Will Kyle Williams even make the roster next year?" is a better question....

2012 WR Corps (@ Training Camp)
1. Crabtree
2. (possible FA Signing)
3. (& possible High Draft Pick)
4. Morgan (I think he'll be back)
5. Ginn (I think he'll be back)
6. Williams
7. (Late Round Draft Pick)
8. (Swain-esque camp fodder)
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM ]

Originally posted by HessianDud:

yeah, I remember when we cut Delanie Walker, David Baas, and Philip Adams after their mistakes against the Saints last year.
Please. None of those players made 6, count 'em, SIX egregious errors in a single game. Of those six, 3 cost the 49ers yardage in a field-position game. One, the diving catch of the punt, was just risky and stupid given circumstances and conditions. Another one, the muff, inexcusable...you yell "poison" and get the hell away from the ball. And finally, the fumble. In case you didn't notice, those last two effectively gave the Giants 10 points and a trip to Indy for the SB.
KW is a receiver not a punt returner, and he will be coming back as a receiver not a PR. His job as a WR is only in jeapordy on the zone, not in reality.

He was drafted by the current front office, competed and earned a spot on this team, produced with the opportunities given, showed better hands, seperation, and speed than arguably anyone else on the team outside of VD and blocks like a guy 30 pounds heavier with a mean streak.

He will be on the team next year, dont kid yourselves... he just wont ever return a punt again.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Yes.

I'd said SEVERAL time in my weekly wrap-up that the kid needed a shot and called for him to start over Braylon long before Braylon was cut.

He has serious potential as a lightning quick slot receiver type. Nobody is saying that he's Jerry Rice.

Cutting a guy because you are angry serves only to lower the talent level of the team. That's what LOSING teams do. Ya know what WINNING teams do? They hang on to these guys and sign the ones other teams cut.

Ask the Browns and Redskins about Earnest Byner. Byner fumbled and lost the AFC Championship game for Cleveland. The Browns traded him to the 'skins for Mike Oliphant. Byner became a force to be reckoned with in Washington and won a Super Bowl. Cleveland got nothing from Oliphant and never made the title game.

Short-sighted people suffer the consequences.

that's what Mike Nolan used to do.
Keep him. He's a key component to why we were so far in the season.

Sure, he ended up costing us..but you guys would HATE seeing him beast in another uniform next year.

Keep him. He's a solid #3.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
"Will Kyle Williams even make the roster next year?" is a better question....

2012 WR Corps (@ Training Camp)
1. Crabtree
2. (possible FA Signing)
3. (& possible High Draft Pick)
4. Morgan (I think he'll be back)
5. Ginn (I think he'll be back)
6. Williams
7. (Late Round Draft Pick)
8. (Swain-esque camp fodder)

THAT is a more reasonable question.

If the Niners sign a guy, draft a guy AND resign Ginn and Morgan....there may not be room for Williams. If he guts cut because he isn't the 4th or 5th best reciever, I have no issue with it.
Share 49ersWebzone