LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
"Will Kyle Williams even make the roster next year?" is a better question....

2012 WR Corps (@ Training Camp)
1. Crabtree
2. (possible FA Signing)
3. (& possible High Draft Pick)
4. Morgan (I think he'll be back)
5. Ginn (I think he'll be back)
6. Williams
7. (Late Round Draft Pick)
8. (Swain-esque camp fodder)

THAT is a more reasonable question.

If the Niners sign a guy, draft a guy AND resign Ginn and Morgan....there may not be room for Williams. If he guts cut because he isn't the 4th or 5th best reciever, I have no issue with it.

i should redo my list. I'd take Williams as WR over Ginn as a WR.
Keep the kid... He'll learn from this..... Looked good as a slot WR...
keep him. He was doing good at WR. Just don't use him as a returner for now. YOu work with him in that position. The guy is still young and learning. Give him a break. If he leaves and does very well for a different team, i bet all you haters will go ape s**t on why the niners let him go.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
To be honest, does anybody think, that any other team would pick this guy up after what he did in the NFC Championship?

Oh yeah, absolutely. They'd let him compete for a WR spot in camp, no doubt. Dude has lots of talent to develop into a solid slot WR.

Let's not forget that, up until last game, nearly everybody who considers themselves a Niner fan wanted this kid as a WR.

Look at his entire body of work, as a scout would. That is more than enough to give him a shot in camp.

But there are plenty of 6th round wr's with talent to develop into solid slot wr. why would another team want to bring in a player that has a history of choking at critical times. they would be better off drafting their own 6 rounder to develop. other than the fade pass against the cowboys, which was a perfect throw by alex, hasnt done( oh my bad, the touchdown against the rams?) much other than get concussions and fumble balls away

The only time he ever choked was as a PR. A non-primary position for him.

He was always a solid WR at ASU, and is turning into a solid #3 at the NFL level. You don't just dismiss the guy's entire career over one bad game at his NON-PRIMARY position. Plus, he is better than any 6th rounder coming into the league. KW has two years of development and NFL level coaching over those guys. That's why.
He owes us a trip to the Super Bowl
Keep him, just NO returning kicks
The fans who are not blinded by emotion knows he should not be cut. The ones that said he should be cut are probably the same fans who said he should get more playing time during the season. Some fans can be funny like that. He is a good slot receiver and will only get better. This is the beginning for williams not the end.
Um...dunno how to tell you this, but he was down in the Seahawks game. So...if that's your best attempt at creating a "pattern of verifiable malfeasance" you'd better try another angle.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
THAT is a more reasonable question.

If the Niners sign a guy, draft a guy AND resign Ginn and Morgan....there may not be room for Williams. If he guts cut because he isn't the 4th or 5th best reciever, I have no issue with it.

That is really the only determining factor.. and right now he is easily better than Ginn as a WR. Ginn proved his value so he may get a special teams roster spot to not count against the WR core spots. Crabs and Morgan have become the same type of receiver, its possible the team only has one of them in future plans.

The FO hasnt been a big money spender in FA, so its likely they sign another bargain basement WR like Braylon... theres no guarentee that they will fit in the system and locker room and produce. Then of course theres the crapshoot of a 1st round WR adjusting to the NFL level in their rookie year.

Go one level deeper, and its almost a consensus that fans think the FO should take a big bodied red zone threat WR like Floyd, AJ, Jones, etc late in the first... get rid of KW and there is no high-end speed or quickness among the WR's. Ginn is not a WR, and if the niners draft a 2nd WR it wont be until the later rounds leaving them counting on another rookie late round pick to add explosiveness to the WR core.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He can still be a good WR, just keep him off special teams.

I think he will choke again. And I don't want him as part of our team. Imagine him catching balls in another NFC Championship. I think he will fumble on a key drive or something.....

he's 23 years old in his second year. Young guys get over it. We have a young team. Odds are someone was going to screw up eventually. Plus he had that bad concussion a few weeks before the game, chances are he wasnt thinking correctly.

He did the same thing vs. Arizona in college when he was at Arizona St. He's a choker. I don't want him anymore. Say bye.

lol So if he could become a 800-1000 yard WR and give us 8 TDs and consistently tear it up down the field you would get rid of him over 1 bad game and a bad game in college? All you have to do is keep him off PR/KR. He's already proven he can catch passes, just not punts.

He will Not become a 800-1000 Yard WR. That is a Utter Joke to expect that.Cut his Ass.

Originally posted by Mann716:
The fans who are not blinded by emotion knows he should not be cut. The ones that said he should be cut are probably the same fans who said he should get more playing time during the season. Some fans can be funny like that. He is a good slot receiver and will only get better. This is the beginning for williams not the end.

Hopefully not in SF or SC.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er4america:
He will Not become a 800-1000 Yard WR. That is a Utter Joke to expect that.Cut his Ass.

Nope.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
If this would have happened on a regular season Sunday, Williams would have been CUT on Monday. For all you who keep whining/rationalizing that "it takes a team," "1-for-13 on 3rd down," blah blah blah, that's just LAME. Yes the offense was struggling, and of course you can deconstruct every game to say "well if this guy did this, then that would or wouldn't have happened." Stop it. The facts are that, as much as Smith/Offense were struggling, at the beginning of the 4th qtr they had enough points to win. The Niner D was KILLING Manning and the Giants...I don't think they even made it past midfield in 2nd half / OT, EXCEPT for the two gifts from Williams.

Sorry, the dude is a bubble player to begin with, easily replaceable...his modest WR skills are not even close to offsetting the liability of his PROVEN low football IQ. Don't forget, besides his spotty history in college, he almost cost the Niners the #2 seed in that Dec. 24th game against the Seahawks...Niners were very lucky a questionable personal foul was called on the 'Hawks on the KO return where Williams slipped and didn't realize he was NOT down, and then fumbled on the hit.

yeah, I remember when we cut Delanie Walker, David Baas, and Philip Adams after their mistakes against the Saints last year.
Please. None of those players made 6, count 'em, SIX egregious errors in a single game. Of those six, 3 cost the 49ers yardage in a field-position game. One, the diving catch of the punt, was just risky and stupid given circumstances and conditions. Another one, the muff, inexcusable...you yell "poison" and get the hell away from the ball. And finally, the fumble. In case you didn't notice, those last two effectively gave the Giants 10 points and a trip to Indy for the SB.

6? come on man.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Cut him

With a knife
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Cut him

With a knife

Not this again...
Share 49ersWebzone