LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

What if Vernon davis moved to WR?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think the key objective is to use him more as a passing weapon but not lose anything in our running game. The only way to do this is replace Delanie with a blocking TE that has very good hands. When was the last time you saw Delanie catch a short pass and take it to the house? We can get the same type of production with a bigger bodied pass catching TE who can block better.

Move Joe Staley to TE and let his backup start LT.

Nate Byham

I don't think Walker gets as much playing time next year. Byham was looking solid for a while. He's a smart player but he's not what we need. What we need is for Vernon to be a catching more balls, not max protecting.
  • dj43
I think the key objective is to use him more as a passing weapon but not lose anything in our running game. The only way to do this is replace Delanie with a blocking TE that has very good hands. When was the last time you saw Delanie catch a short pass and take it to the house? We can get the same type of production with a bigger bodied pass catching TE who can block better.

Nate Byham

I don't think Walker gets as much playing time next year. Byham was looking solid for a while. He's a smart player but he's not what we need. What we need is for Vernon to be a catching more balls, not max protecting.

He was drafted to be a blocker, hence free up VD. Nate surprised everyone with his pass catching ability. He will likely compete with Walker for the #2 role next season.
i think vern is coo where hes at. you dont move a guy around that just went crazy in two playoffs games. you want WRs, you draft or sign WRs
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think vern is coo where hes at. you dont move a guy around that just went crazy in two playoffs games. you want WRs, you draft or sign WRs

Exactly...Dont create another hole because you want to fix the WR problem. He's definitely at the most effective spot. He can split out wide or in the slot any time we need him to, fixing WR takes going out and getting a WR somewhere
Originally posted by niteshade80:
I think Vernon Davis can play pretty much all of the ball handling positions, hb, te, wr, or fb if need be, he has the rare athletic ability that makes him extremely versatile. But I think if we had a game breaker WR, and another dominant interior offensive lineman to rotate in and out of the rotation, the 9ers in my opinion will be next year's super bowl champions. I think Crabtree is a good #2, if we can find a good #1, this team can be sick, lol.

I think there are two big areas to address:

#1: Why was the D-Line already in Alex Smith's face before he had even finished his drop-back? With three 1st round picks on the O-Line, they need to do better. I'm hesitant to blame Alex Smith for the poor 3rd down conversion when the pocket collapsed before he could even finish a 3-step drop.

#2: We really need another player who can make plays even when they're covered. Davis is one, and Crabtree/Walker/Williams, etc are all ok pass catchers but none of them were able to get open on Sunday. In order to get to the next level, we'll need to be able to move the chains when every guy on the field is being covered. Matt Stafford gets bailed out by Calvin Johnson at least 3-6 times per game by his catching passes while he's covered.

Nate Byham

He was drafted to be a blocker, hence free up VD. Nate surprised everyone with his pass catching ability. He will likely compete with Walker for the #2 role next season.

Byham #2 TE.
Walker H-Back.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM ]
Then we would have an alligator armed WR instead of an alligator armed TE......
qnnhan nailed it way back on page 1, but we had this conversation before. qnnhan's point of putting Vernon at WR puts a better defender on him. Playing Vernon at TE he draws a less capable defender. Can you imagine what kind of yr Vernon is going to have when we draft/trade for 3(THREE) WRs. I allow for craps to move on with his attitude and disappearance in some games(last several for instance), and we get compensation in a high draft pick, plus we have Kap, so we can actually trade/draft 3 good WRs, plus maybe pick up a "nobody" in last 2 rds, for a total of 3 starting WRs and a "talent" who needs coaching. Do that and Vernon has a huge yr...not to take away from this one, but the guy needs help out there and 3 quality WRs, even if Coach has to coach one of them up is fine by me.
Share 49ersWebzone