LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

What if Vernon davis moved to WR?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I heard something on the Razor and Mr. T which I hadn't thought of. What if we moved Vernon to Wide Receiver? I think that would be great for the team. Along with that we draft a WR (hopefully with speed and size) and a TE that is Gronkowski size massive and a big target. I felt this year the niners didn't have a BIG receiver maybe we can pick up colston too.
Razor's voice is like sweet butter on corn.
It's very rare to move an Elite player to another position. Vernon Davis is a matchup nightmare for teams and with Tony Gonzalez retiring and Antonio Gates slowing down, Vernon will be a TOP5 player at his position for atleast the next 5 years.

You throw him jump balls over the Secondary and he's too fast for LB/Dlineman. IMO, Vernon's development is a major reason why we finally got out of the cellar. Smith's improvement turned us into a Title contender

But anyway, Davis has played in his packages where he is spread out. Saints game comes to mind with a catch along the sidelines.

The Pats comparison is an interesting one. We both have 1 elite TE but they counter with passing offense while we rely on the rushing game. Unfortunately Brady is better than Gore, Davis etc. In the Giants game we missed Walker's production, sort of our version of Hernandez
Is this thread from the 2007 WZ?
better idea. why dont we move kaep to receiver...
Did I travel back in time?
Originally posted by backontop:
Did I travel back in time?

Apparently the future where WR's are at a huge premium and Elite TE's & Backup QB's are being moved to fill up depth charts
I'm not saying that Vernon isn't an elite TE. We also split him out wide for most of the game anyway, so we are playing him as a WR. Maybe I'm just thinking we need a huge TE like a Graham, Gronkowski, Witten for Alex to throw to. The huge TE is a big match up problem for teams for our team too.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I'm not saying that Vernon isn't an elite TE. We also split him out wide for most of the game anyway, so we are playing him as a WR. Maybe I'm just thinking we need a huge TE like a Graham, Gronkowski, Witten for Alex to throw to. The huge TE is a big match up problem for teams for our team too.

Well if there is one guy that loves his TE's....it's Harbaugh. Check out what he built at Stanford with his TE's

I'd rather see us go towards 2 TE's than moving Davis to WR
If they put VD at WR, they are basically telling the defense to pay attention to him. That's not what you want to do. Unless you purposely want the defense to pay attention to VD so you can have someone else working the inside. But you still can't make a living doing that either. Best part about VD is that he gives that regular TE look in formation but he can go short, medium, deep outside. There's a mismatch and an element of surprise to that. He's an inside guy that can go outside. You don't start a guy like that on the outside. That's just backward of who VD is and what he gives you from the inside out.

We just need a big, fast receiver that can normally take advantage of the outside but can go to the inside. They get a normal look to the offense but suddenly the defense don't know who to pay attention to on any given play at the snap of the ball, inside or out. Our position guys would start out in their designated position but can go any where on the field and have mismatches, and that's dangerously potent for an offense.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM ]

^ Agreed

Someone in the mold of a Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe come to mind.

Question: So what was the deal with Edwards? I know it was a mutual separation and Edwards admitted injuries held him back but we really could not have used him? Or did we incorrectly assume Ginn would be full strength?
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:09 AM ]
I love the offseason
180 yards and 2 TD's...

And 100 + and 2 TD's...

In 2 playoff games tells me we are using him the right way.

I think Vernon Davis can play pretty much all of the ball handling positions, hb, te, wr, or fb if need be, he has the rare athletic ability that makes him extremely versatile. But I think if we had a game breaker WR, and another dominant interior offensive lineman to rotate in and out of the rotation, the 9ers in my opinion will be next year's super bowl champions. I think Crabtree is a good #2, if we can find a good #1, this team can be sick, lol.
He's also very good at blocking, which is why he's best suited for TE.
Share 49ersWebzone