There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB position up for competition next year?

After watching Tolzien play I think he may be able to beat out Alex sand Kap this next year.
Not unless Cap is the next Brady.
Originally posted by ninersbaby1:
kaep starter

You're basing this on what you've seen so far from Kap? Only sampling I've seen was in preseason and Tolzien looked like the better QB from a drop back passer standpoint. Kind of ridiculous to make such a broad statement without any idea of how good Kap is or will be.....
They are not going to seek out someone who is already star QB to compete, so Smith has the edge on anyone they bring in through draft or FA I would imagine (assuming he re-signs here). But I believe this is a different team than years past, and they will consider an upgrade if someone looks clearly better.
He just gave the typical coach's "every job is up for competition" response and people are taking it and running with it. All of a sudden Tolzien and Kapernick are our answer to winning the SB. SMH. If you watch the conference it comes off much different than taking the quotes and running with them.
Originally posted by rudedog:
After watching Tolzien play I think he may be able to beat out Alex sand Kap this next year.

i hate fans like

u cant seriously think that
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Keep them both hungry, I say. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone can read between the lines.

This
Nothing pushes a qb like competition. Its Alex's job to lose. The biggest issue with Sanchez in NY was that he had no one to push him and he became complacent. Its good for Alex.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If he doesn't get injured, Alex Smith will be the starter, Kaepernick is not ready, Tolzien is more ready than Kaepernick.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Nothing pushes a qb like competition. Its Alex's job to lose. The biggest issue with Sanchez in NY was that he had no one to push him and he became complacent. Its good for Alex.

you could be right about Sanchez
Kap needs to start next yr if he's ready a QB who will ttake chances...
I know a lot of people are just calling this coach talk and stuff, but I don't agree. If it was any other coach than yeah, but Harbaugh has already shown that whoever it better will start. Just ask Moran Norris, Shawntae Spencer, Braylon Edwards, etc. whoever earns it will be the starter, alex isn't guaranteed a job.
If the 49ers are serious about winning a Super Bowl they need to go all out for Peyton Manning

1 Manning 2 kaepernick 3 tolzien
Originally posted by GMniner805:
If the 49ers are serious about winning a Super Bowl they need to go all out for Peyton Manning

1 Manning 2 kaepernick 3 tolzien

so for some reason you don't want to keep the QB who helped get us to overtime in the NFC Championship?
Unlike previous years, there won't be any politics about it. The guy who gives us the best chance to win will get the job. Just Spencer and Norris.