There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB position up for competition next year?

Originally posted by OldJoe:
Side note: Can anyone tell me why we show both Alex and Colin as list on our roster 6' 4"? This doesn't appear to be on a hill and appears to me they do not have the identical height.





Colin Kaepernick is closer to the camera so he appears taller

END THREAD


Now Alex looks taller
[ Edited by valrod33 on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,134
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Side note: Can anyone tell me why we show both Alex and Colin as list on our roster 6' 4"? This doesn't appear to be on a hill and appears to me they do not have the identical height.





Most likely wrong, Kaepernick measured at 6'5" at the Combine. SF49ers.com once had DeMarcus Dobbs listed at 6'4" when he's actually 6'2".
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Side note: Can anyone tell me why we show both Alex and Colin as list on our roster 6' 4"? This doesn't appear to be on a hill and appears to me they do not have the identical height.





Colin Kaepernick is closer to the camera so he appears taller

END THREAD


Now Alex looks taller

lol, getting intellectually pwned by valrod is worse than losing the NFC championship game.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

our conservative offense is a function of the head coaches philosophy. Ever watch a Stanford game? (i know the answer).
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Side note: Can anyone tell me why we show both Alex and Colin as list on our roster 6' 4"? This doesn't appear to be on a hill and appears to me they do not have the identical height.





Colin Kaepernick is closer to the camera so he appears taller

END THREAD


Now Alex looks taller

lol, getting intellectually pwned by valrod is worse than losing the NFC championship game.

whatever foo, i can count to potato
Originally posted by valrod33:
whatever foo, i can count to potato

lol.

i love that pic though. Caption should be Alex saying to Carr, "Going to play in a football game, lol."
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Someone said here we can't be like the Ravens. Why not? We already are. We have our Trent Dilfer who didn't need to win games, just manage them (Alex of course).

why do people say alex is trent dilfer 2,0 anyone who thinks that either
didnt watch niner games
didnt watch 49er gaames

or dont undertand football

he isnt the tom brady aaron rodgers type but he isnt trent dilfer alex was top 10-12 in almost every category despite us leading league in drops and have sub par WR

dilfer was in bottom of legue

and i dont think dilfer lead any comebacks

alex had tied for msot in nfl
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

our conservative offense is a function of the head coaches philosophy. Ever watch a Stanford game? (i know the answer).
ive beens aying this forever

they will ignore this and say that same ting again in a different thread
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

our conservative offense is a function of the head coaches philosophy. Ever watch a Stanford game? (i know the answer).
ive beens aying this forever

they will ignore this and say that same ting again in a different thread

yeah, this has been being said all season but for some reason it never sunk in with some people.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by mjboot:
I wanted dalton but was picked 1 spot ahead of the 49ers. We willl see which one of the 2 turn out the best in 2 years. Dalton seems to be ahead at the moment. Imagine if the 49ers took dalton I think the 49ers would of won it all.

Imagine if the 49ers had taken AJ Green instead of CK.



I know that most people only watch the ball rather than the rest of the players. That is understandable. Watching the OL block or a receiver running around on the field without the ball is not exciting even though very informative. However, if anyone watched much of the Bengals this last season, they would have seen Green making some unbelievable plays despite being double teamed most of the time. Further, those double teams freed up other Bengal receivers to be easily available for Dalton.

Green made Dalton's job much easier. Want proof? Go look at Dalton's numbers in the couple of games where Green was out or slowed by an injury.



The competition I am most looking forward to next season is the one at WR. I fully expect the 49ers to sign a solid FA "possession" WR as well as draft AT LEAST two, including using the #1 pick, perhaps even packaging other picks to move up to draft one of the premier WRs coming out this year.
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
no alex has problems

but coaching is the biggest issue and this year proved it

he did better than previous years and he had no offseason and still had arguably top 10 year in nfl with no real WR


and as i recall montana said that coaching was the biggest issue as well he said rayes offense sucked as he had no optioons on where to throw the ball and said

try changing your job 6 times in 6 years and see how well you do
exact words
is montana making alexcuses?

Alex changed his job 6 times in 6 years? Really? I thought he has been the quarterback every year. I could be wrong though.

Top 10 QB this year? No chance. He was in the top 10 in ONE measurable statistic.....QB rating (which many feel isnt the best indication of production). So he is in the top 10 in one of many statistics. How does that make him top 10 in the league? Just curious if you can explain this one.

Everybody should be thanking our Defense for our season for the most part. Poor redzone and 3rd conversions is what we got with game manager Smith. Harbaugh did not all of a sudden make him a star QB. He played him against his limitations. He made him just manage the game, don't worry about the big play type deal. We could have had got the same results with a QB like Kyle Orton. Our defense was really that good this year because with all the 3 and outs and redzone sputter they kept us in every game.

This is true,,, however, Its was Alex and the offence that beat New Orleans..... both Offence's going down the field easily in that game at the end.,,,

so what I'm saying is that Alex with the whole years experience was really good at the end,,, in the beginning he was just a game manager,, but at the end he became a real QB that won some games for us.... the Detroit game is another example
I know they aren't the same height. I figured more than an inch.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM ]
Colin Kaepernick is 6'4⅝"
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=26167&_slug_=colin-kaepernick&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d26167%26_slug_%3dcolin-kaepernick

Alex Smith is 6'4⅛"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine?id=9077&_slug_=alex-smith&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft%2fplayer%2fcombine%3fid%3d9077%26_slug_%3dalex-smith

Kaepernick is barely taller than Alex
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by mjboot:
I wanted dalton but was picked 1 spot ahead of the 49ers. We willl see which one of the 2 turn out the best in 2 years. Dalton seems to be ahead at the moment. Imagine if the 49ers took dalton I think the 49ers would of won it all.

Imagine if the 49ers had taken AJ Green instead of CK.



I know that most people only watch the ball rather than the rest of the players. That is understandable. Watching the OL block or a receiver running around on the field without the ball is not exciting even though very informative. However, if anyone watched much of the Bengals this last season, they would have seen Green making some unbelievable plays despite being double teamed most of the time. Further, those double teams freed up other Bengal receivers to be easily available for Dalton.

Green made Dalton's job much easier. Want proof? Go look at Dalton's numbers in the couple of games where Green was out or slowed by an injury.



The competition I am most looking forward to next season is the one at WR. I fully expect the 49ers to sign a solid FA "possession" WR as well as draft AT LEAST two, including using the #1 pick, perhaps even packaging other picks to move up to draft one of the premier WRs coming out this year.

A lot of QB's would love to have our running game looking at 8 or 9 in the box with 2 mismatches for Tight Ends and a shifty WR.
Originally posted by Joecool:
A lot of QB's would love to have our running game looking at 8 or 9 in the box with 2 mismatches for Tight Ends and a shifty WR.

pur running game has fell short since week 10 i believe

but we dont have the mismatches on the outside apart from VD who has taken advantage of it